Sleeping Tablets/Remedies

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
I have a friend who finds it impossible to sleep for more than 4 hours every night. No matter how tired, what time of day, it's a real struggle for them to get any decent 'shut-eye'.
Can anyone recommend a 'safe' sleeping pill or remedy that may help them?

Kind regards

J&T

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
This sounds like they need to see a physician. There could be a number of factors involved in this, including life style. I wouldn't take someone's advice for a health problem. Have them go to someone that can evaluate the entirety of the problem. Thanks, yes I play a doctor on DR1. All kidding aside see a professional.

LTSteve

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've had great luck using melatonin, available in any farmacia. I take two 3 mg. tablets about 1/2 hour before bedtime.

One of our neighbors in DR has the same problem, I gave her melatonin to try and it helped a lot.

If the melatonin alone doesn't do it, you can add one Valerian Root - also herbal in farmacia/vitamin stores.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I use sodium pentathol but you need someone to administer the I V while you are sleeping..

Aug 6, 2006
I use sodium pentathol but you need someone to administer the I V while you are sleeping..

====================================
Should we surmise that every night there is an anesthesiologist standing over you supervising your drip?

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Sprinkle in a serious physical (weights?) and mental (reading?) exercise routine so the body asks for sleep/rest.

Feb 7, 2007
I've had great luck using melatonin, available in any farmacia. I take two 3 mg. tablets about 1/2 hour before bedtime.

I take melatonin when going to Europe. 15 minutes later I WANT to go to bed.

Maybe your friend can take it after he/she wakes up in the middle of the night. Take the pill, watch some TV, fall asleep again.
Evidence that a Break in Sleep is Natural and Beneficial - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com
Busting the 8-Hour Sleep Myth: Why You Should Wake Up in the Night | Biphasic Sleeping | Insomnia & the Science of Sleep | LiveScience

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there are plenty of remedies OTC, including some natural stuff, like melatonine mentioned by AE. magnesium also works but make sure the dose is not large because it also affect bowel movement ;) a drink also helps but again, it's one beer, not 10.

i would suggest checking with an internista as to what might be causing this. aside from mental issues insomnia is also caused by the use of some antibiotics (levo, cipro). it can also be linked to the excess of hormones.

sleeping pills cost from few pesos a pill (melatonine) to about 50 or more (novo insomnium).

May 12, 2005

One of our neighbors in DR has the same problem, I gave her melatonin to try and it helped a lot.

If the melatonin alone doesn't do it, you can add one Valerian Root - also herbal in farmacia/vitamin stores.

I recommend melatonin too

Makinater

May 4, 2013
Dormessa and Dormilong are both mild and help me to both go to sleep and sleep through the night when I am need of that extra help. Always wake up without the kind of drowsiness that some sleeping pills can give you the next morning. If he/she is not allergic to any of the substances (diphenhydramine for Dormessa, can't remember the substance for Dormilong), or are taking other medication that can interact with this, then it is safe to at least try and see if it helps out or not.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dormessa and dormilong contain the same stuff. personally i found them quite useless but it reminded me about another medicine, dramanol. it's a motion sickness pill. i've been taking this stuff my entire life. it does make one very sleepy. and it's very cheap (about 5 pesos per pill).

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I just get a script for Alplax 2MG. A script is good for 4 boxes ( 120 tabs ). The pills can be broken in 4ths. Good for sleep and anxiety. Yes, Alplax is Xanax and most doctors that can write the 5 page script will charge RD500 for the consultation. Also great for hang-overs.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Ambien works best and results in the best forum posts / stories. Right Mr. Harley? Of course the unexplained early deaths are a downer.