Fresh water tropical fish

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
I need help finding fresh water tropical fish to purchase. If you can help let me know. I'm in Cofresi so from Cabarette to Santiago will work.
Thanks

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
fresh? come to costambar beach in the afternoon, there are usually few people fishing off the shore. this is the freshest you can get. offer to buy their catch, most will be more than willing to sell. unfortunately i do not know names of any of the fishermen but maybe folks running beach bars can help you with that.

alternatively PM frank12 who knows sellers of fresh fish in cabarete.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
dv8, I think the OP means fresh water as in not salted from the sea, more like fish from rivers and streams.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oops, sorry, i think you are correct! sorry for the confusion. all i can say is that in poland we call it "sweet water fish" (literal translation) so my brain did not compute this question correctly. sorry again.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
They even have piranhas in the DR!!!
Gri Gri Lagoon
This Lagoon is near Playa Grande, about 1 hour east of Cabarete. Located near the fisherman's village of Rio San Juan. You can take a boat trip on the sweet waters of Gri Gri Lagoon.This is a fresh water lagoon with a mangrove forest forming a canopy over its various channels. A extraordinary ecosystem with a beautiful and breathtaking view of crystal clear green shimmering water as far as the eyes can see. There are beautiful reefs and groves spilling over with a vide variety of tropical birds. One can see vultures in the trees and tree frogs in the roots. The winding lagoon full of fish and even some piranha.
Dominican Republic Rivers/ Rios and Lakes/ Lagos

I only know of the piranhas in the Amazon and the ones that I've seen in Boca Chica and Sosua buy I don't think they'd fit into an aquarium. ;)

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
The OP should post pics of his aquarium and its evolution, have not seen this interesting topic discussed on DR1.

I wondered who makes large custom aquariums and where to get tropical fish.(the non eating kind)

dom

Jun 1, 2011
sometimes i just read the posts here and the discussing around the topic sometimes becomes frustrating.

in cabarete at the callejon entrance, 50m inside from the mainroad is the crazy german guy its a pizza place from outside when you go in he has about 50 fishtanks in the restaurant and he also sells, but not cheap.
he even costum builts the fishtanks.

in puerto plata at the vet place at the big intersection where all the annoying window washer kids hang out they also some fish, but i highly recommend to quarantine those before you join with your other fish as there quality is poor, i did get some nice angel fish from them.

for some really cool fish you can also go to bravo supermarket in santiago, they are expensive but have some very cool fish i have not seen around here before.

there is another cool place in santiago, passing the plaza international heading out of santiago turning at a helados bon, to the right about 300m down the road, very good with fishtanks and accessoires

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
Have a medium size pond also. If you have coy or no where to get them that would Help. Also would be interested in what you might have.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Theres lots of betas every saturday morning looking for a fight. Not sure if that is what u need.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Fish_Tank_Coffee_Tables.jpg

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
There is a new supermarket in Santiago and upstairs they have a large pet store with everything from fish to monkeys. I think it is Jumbo but I'm not 100% sure.