Gold
Nov 18, 2002
This is now, seems big....!

AC30CF4D-59B6-4A2E-8A0C-A88CF8A8314F_zpsqkuj9fh6.jpg

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Is that a thatch roof?

I often wonder why more don't catch on fire...

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Good to hear that no one was injured but the article says that there's substantial economic loss.

Hopefully it will recover the loss.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wow, big fire. i am glad no one died or was injured. they will not have time to fix that mess before the highlight of the year that is semana santa.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Common denominator.

This fire is one of many of that type in recent years along the beachfronts. The restaurtant at the IFA resort, Bavaro; El Pulpo Cojo restaurant, El Cortecito; Paradisias Palma Real restaurant, Bavaro; and now the Hard Rock. All having thatch cane roofs as a common denominator.

The problem is there have been no standardized fire codes in place and those that do exist are loosely enforced if enforced at all.

You have to thank Grupo Punta Cana for dispatching fire fighting equipment from PUJ airport to assist the local fire department fighting the Hard Rock blaze. They did not have to come as the airport fire equipment is private, assigned to the airport.

You have to thank Canadian Carl Eggiman for providing a fire truck, gear, and equipment for the local Jakes to fight the fire.

Regards,

PJT

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is the third fire we had at the Hard Rock. No one was injured in any of them. It is mostly the roof of the Restaurant that burns. I will be in the Hotel today and take a look. It was Isla Restaurant on the beach side near Buildings 1A and 2A.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Volleyball anyone? Or should we just sit at the swim up bar and watch the roof burn? Very odd photo with people in the pool.

LTSteve

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Update. Only damage is the roof of Isla. It will be back open in 2 days.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
This fire is one of many of that type in recent years along the beachfronts. The restaurtant at the IFA resort, Bavaro; El Pulpo Cojo restaurant, El Cortecito; Paradisias Palma Real restaurant, Bavaro; and now the Hard Rock. All having thatch cane roofs as a common denominator.

The problem is there have been no standardized fire codes in place and those that do exist are loosely enforced if enforced at all.

You have to thank Grupo Punta Cana for dispatching fire fighting equipment from PUJ airport to assist the local fire department fighting the Hard Rock blaze. They did not have to come as the airport fire equipment is private, assigned to the airport.

You have to thank Canadian Carl Eggiman for providing a fire truck, gear, and equipment for the local Jakes to fight the fire.

Regards,

PJT

Just to let you know there is a new fire hall between Friusa corner and Coco Loco corner in the Bavaro area. I have no idea where the fire hydrants are but we have some fire trucks now.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Just to let you know there is a new fire hall between Friusa corner and Coco Loco corner in the Bavaro area. I have no idea where the fire hydrants are but we have some fire trucks now.

The fire hall (station) is located adjacent to Manati Park just off Blvd Turistico de Este. Fire hydrants are few and far between as there is no real public water supply and distribution system for the tourist zone. Fire hydrants are located in some resorts and gated residential areas that have their own water supply and distribution systems. The fire trucks rely on internal tanks, water tank trucks, and open water sources (pools, cisterns, ponds) to draw water.

Regards,

PJT

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
And the current problem is the water supply truck has broken down along with the second fire truck so they're depending on just one truck (sent down by Carl) which has seen better days. This truck doesn't have the capacity to pull water from pools or the ocean so they have to first set up a mobile pump to then supply water to the truck to start putting out a fire. I know Carl has more supplies on the way but until then the local volunteer firefighters are basically working blind and with one hand tied behind their backs. And the local authorities? Muy bien gracias...

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk