from temporary residency to citizenship

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
We recently completed our temporary residency renewal for year #2. Living on the north coast it entails a trip to SD. After 4 renewals of temporary we then move to permanent residency which requires 2 visits to SD , one for the medical and one to get cards. Course each trip is costly.
I have checked with two law firms and it appears that we can apply for citizenship! Documentation is similiar to residency requirements. There is a test on Dominican history. Law firm costs also similar to original residency.
So, my question is ----why go thru all these renewals?------why not go directly to citizenship?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Good question, I'm going to go for citizenship when we return.

Why doesn't everyone?

Well, some countries don't allow dual or triple citizenship.

Maybe they don't live here 12 months a year.

Maybe they live on southern coast near SD and it's not as big a deal to renew.

Some people have 10 yr.permanent residency, so not such a hassle at that point.

Some people don't speak or understand enough Spanish to pass the oral exam - or they're afraid to try it.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have asked this question here many times. I have had dual citizenship for more than 10 years and it saved me a lot of money, time, and grief. And a few other things.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
I understand that the oral exam might be a deterrent, however I also understand there is study material available.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
very doable..... eliminates a lot.... just need to pass the Spanish test (not an inquisition, really).

some even say you can have a translator help you.

After the temporary, you get 4 yr renewals so less trips for you - but still 4 yrs of temp is long.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
good to know -- thanks.

actually, thta's what was holding me back - my wife is scared to death of that test--

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I have checked with two law firms and it appears that we can apply for citizenship!
So, my question is ----why go thru all these renewals?------why not go directly to citizenship?

Going straight from temporary residency to citizenship? That's news to me. If this is true, the rules must have changed considerably recently. I just went through this process myself a few years ago and I needed at least two years of permanent residency before being able to even apply for citizenship. It's difficult to imagine that the requirements are now less strict than before.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
One of the firms I contacted was Guzman. They did my first temporary residency, and are aware I have just completed my first renewal. They seem to think we can proceed with citizenship. The first lawyer (met him casually in a bar) said that after 6 months of a temporary you could apply for citizenship.