Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amazon to Collect Sales Tax in Florida

Amazon.com to collect Florida sales tax starting May 1 - Sun Sentinel

This is bad for us in the DR that get packages shipped from Amazon to here via EPS, Business Mail, etc.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

What if your credit card address would be in another state or even country. I would consider use my Dutch card to pay for shipment instead of my Florida based card. I wonder if tax collection depends on where it is shipped to or where it is paid from.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

So far I only had to pay taxes shopping at amazon when a merchandise came from a seller based in Florida. Payments are done with my BPD Mastercard.

If amazon gets a store / warehouse in FL and ships from there I think there would be taxes to pay. Not sure if there would be a tax to pay when the merchandise comes from their other locations not in FL then.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caribmike View Post
    So far I only had to pay taxes shopping at amazon when a merchandise came from a seller based in Florida. Payments are done with my BPD Mastercard.

If amazon gets a store / warehouse in FL and ships from there I think there would be taxes to pay. Not sure if there would be a tax to pay when the merchandise comes from their other locations not in FL then.
    From what I understand anything shipped to Florida from Amazon is taxable starting May 1.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    What if your credit card address would be in another state or even country. I would consider use my Dutch card to pay for shipment instead of my Florida based card. I wonder if tax collection depends on where it is shipped to or where it is paid from.
    If you buy something with a foreign or out of state card you still pay sales tax. This law will make you pay tax on anything shipped TO Florida from Amazon, regardless of how you pay.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caribmike View Post

Amazon has always been supportive of being taxed. I remember when the discussion first started about taxing online retailers that Amazon was one of the few that supported it. This is going to make buying from Amazon more expensive starting May 1.

The good news, if you can call it that, is that this only applies to businesses that have a presence in Florida. So it will pay to check other sources before placing an order to see if the item is available elsewhere for a better price since there is no tax. B&H in New York is a good source for cameras and other electronics. They tax if the item is sent to a NY address but not if sent to Florida. Adorama is another possibility.

7. Likes caribmike liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

The way state sales tax works in the US, it's where the item is shipped to, doesn't matter where you live or where your credit card is registered to.

Don't forget to compare the same item on eBay - those are individual sellers, and unless they have a licensed business in Florida you won't pay sales tax. With Amazon, since they have a warehouse in Florida, anything shipped there will be taxed, even if it's shipped from a different warehouse, when they do their own shipping.

And that sales tax has to be figured into the $200 limit on duty-free items to DR.

Squeezing every drop out of us.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I hardly ever purchase using Amazon. Rarely are they better than Ebay in price. This will make Amazon purchases an almost never event for me

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amazon Starts Collecting Tax In Florida Tomorrow

Thursday, May 1, is the day tax collection starts if you buy from Amazon and have it shipped to a Florida address

Amazon to collect sales tax in Florida May 1 - Orlando Sentinel

The state-wide sales tax rate is 6%, but counties and municipalities are also able to levy a sales tax. So, depending where you live in Florida, your sales tax could be as much as 7.5%.

Tomorrow we will find out what rate Amazon is charging.

If you have something you are planning on ordering from Amazon, do it now and avoid the tax.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Thursday, May 1, is the day tax collection starts if you buy from Amazon and have it shipped to a Florida address

Amazon to collect sales tax in Florida May 1 - Orlando Sentinel

The state-wide sales tax rate is 6%, but counties and municipalities are also able to levy a sales tax. So, depending where you live in Florida, your sales tax could be as much as 7.5%.

Tomorrow we will find out what rate Amazon is charging.

If you have something you are planning on ordering from Amazon, do it now and avoid the tax.
    THANKS! I need to order something and actually forgot about this. Ordering now!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast