Amazon to Collect Sales Tax in Florida

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
What if your credit card address would be in another state or even country. I would consider use my Dutch card to pay for shipment instead of my Florida based card. I wonder if tax collection depends on where it is shipped to or where it is paid from.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
So far I only had to pay taxes shopping at amazon when a merchandise came from a seller based in Florida. Payments are done with my BPD Mastercard.

If amazon gets a store / warehouse in FL and ships from there I think there would be taxes to pay. Not sure if there would be a tax to pay when the merchandise comes from their other locations not in FL then.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So far I only had to pay taxes shopping at amazon when a merchandise came from a seller based in Florida. Payments are done with my BPD Mastercard.

If amazon gets a store / warehouse in FL and ships from there I think there would be taxes to pay. Not sure if there would be a tax to pay when the merchandise comes from their other locations not in FL then.

From what I understand anything shipped to Florida from Amazon is taxable starting May 1.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What if your credit card address would be in another state or even country. I would consider use my Dutch card to pay for shipment instead of my Florida based card. I wonder if tax collection depends on where it is shipped to or where it is paid from.

If you buy something with a foreign or out of state card you still pay sales tax. This law will make you pay tax on anything shipped TO Florida from Amazon, regardless of how you pay.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Amazon has always been supportive of being taxed. I remember when the discussion first started about taxing online retailers that Amazon was one of the few that supported it. This is going to make buying from Amazon more expensive starting May 1.

The good news, if you can call it that, is that this only applies to businesses that have a presence in Florida. So it will pay to check other sources before placing an order to see if the item is available elsewhere for a better price since there is no tax. B&H in New York is a good source for cameras and other electronics. They tax if the item is sent to a NY address but not if sent to Florida. Adorama is another possibility.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The way state sales tax works in the US, it's where the item is shipped to, doesn't matter where you live or where your credit card is registered to.

Don't forget to compare the same item on eBay - those are individual sellers, and unless they have a licensed business in Florida you won't pay sales tax. With Amazon, since they have a warehouse in Florida, anything shipped there will be taxed, even if it's shipped from a different warehouse, when they do their own shipping.

And that sales tax has to be figured into the $200 limit on duty-free items to DR.

Squeezing every drop out of us.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I hardly ever purchase using Amazon. Rarely are they better than Ebay in price. This will make Amazon purchases an almost never event for me

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Amazon Starts Collecting Tax In Florida Tomorrow

Thursday, May 1, is the day tax collection starts if you buy from Amazon and have it shipped to a Florida address

Amazon to collect sales tax in Florida May 1 - Orlando Sentinel

The state-wide sales tax rate is 6%, but counties and municipalities are also able to levy a sales tax. So, depending where you live in Florida, your sales tax could be as much as 7.5%.

Tomorrow we will find out what rate Amazon is charging.

If you have something you are planning on ordering from Amazon, do it now and avoid the tax.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Thursday, May 1, is the day tax collection starts if you buy from Amazon and have it shipped to a Florida address

Amazon to collect sales tax in Florida May 1 - Orlando Sentinel

The state-wide sales tax rate is 6%, but counties and municipalities are also able to levy a sales tax. So, depending where you live in Florida, your sales tax could be as much as 7.5%.

Tomorrow we will find out what rate Amazon is charging.

If you have something you are planning on ordering from Amazon, do it now and avoid the tax.

THANKS! I need to order something and actually forgot about this. Ordering now!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just use Ebay, no tax and most of the time cheaper than Amazon. Also no shipping charge in the majority of purchases.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
How does it work with ebay from the dr, do i need paypal or i can buy directly with my credit card?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
How does it work with ebay from the dr, do i need paypal or i can buy directly with my credit card?

You don't need a paypal account. Once you checkout you can input your credit card details and paypal will process the payment.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You don't need a paypal account. Once you checkout you can input your credit card details and paypal will process the payment.

Yes, or you can open a Paypal Account with just your credit card. You don't have to have a bank account with it. A Paypal account is very good as no merchant ever gets your card info.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
And how does it work, i open an account with my adress in the DR on ebay but i can get it ship to Aeropaw or eps adress after?

Tim Smith

Apr 28, 2014
Wow, this has been talked about for some time now. Taxing purchases from web vendors... Really going to cut into buying from Amazon now. The point of companies like Amazon was to avoid the sales tax. Most sellers don't have a storefront to save on costs to the consumer. I wonder if this will be reflected back on the vendors as well in some way...?

As a side note, Amazon has been looking into using drones for delivery near their warehouses... Just an interesting read is all. Here is the link

Amazon Tests Drones for Same-Day Parcel Delivery, Bezos Says - Bloomberg

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
And how does it work, i open an account with my adress in the DR on ebay but i can get it ship to Aeropaw or eps adress after?

Exactly. When you register for eBay you can input your D.R. address. After you complete your purchase at checkout you can change the shipping address to the freight forwarder. A side note some eBay sellers are sloppy and fail to see that there is a change in the shipping address. The best way to proceed is before you complete your purchase is to email the seller and get a confirmation from him about the shipping address.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Just ordered s'thing on Amazon:

Items (5): $111.68
Shipping & handling: $7.20
Free shipping: -$7.20
Total before tax: $111.68
Estimated tax to be collected: $1.34
Order total: $113.02

Well. with this Tax I can live... :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Thanks for your report. That is good news. Should ease a lot of fears

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

"Estimated Tax" Let us know the result please.