Reputable Car Dealer?

Cabarete2014

Mar 30, 2014
I'm planning to buy a used car in the next few months. Can anyone suggest a reputable used car dealership in Moca or Santiago?

I appreciate your help!

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Turin is our pick too. Be sure to use car fax to make sure you don't have Hurricane Sandy or salvaged car.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Go on supercarros.com and find the car you want, not the dealer. Dominicans don't have any responsibility for anything, so there is no point to find a "reputable" dealer, because even if 20 people did not have any problem with that dealer before, you still have a chance to have a problem and then hear "no es mi culpa" thing. So find the car, not the dealer, then ask somebody you can trust to check the car, then ask your lawyer to do the paperwork if you don't know how to do it yourself.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Go on supercarros.com and find the car you want, not the dealer. Dominicans don't have any responsibility for anything, so there is no point to find a "reputable" dealer, because even if 20 people did not have any problem with that dealer before, you still have a chance to have a problem and then hear "no es mi culpa" thing. So find the car, not the dealer, then ask somebody you can trust to check the car, then ask your lawyer to do the paperwork if you don't know how to do it yourself.
Good advice & be patient.

The best bet for finding a good used car at a solid price is through individuals, not dealers.

It just takes work.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
A lesson I learned, or I'm trying to accept, I have been unable to buy a used car, every DOM car I have car faxed, has had the odometer rolled back. And it always kills the deal in my mind. It's endemic in the DR it seems, rolling back the OD. But I have been told that DOMS are not so concerned about the miles as they are the engine, drive, breaks and the body.. Maybe I shouldn't care so much about the odometer reading either? But I was raised in North America where the OD is very very important. So now I'm looking at new cars even though I don't want to spend more then 20k.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
A lesson I learned, or I'm trying to accept, I have been unable to buy a used car, every DOM car I have car faxed, has had the odometer rolled back. And it always kills the deal in my mind. It's endemic in the DR it seems, rolling back the OD. But I have been told that DOMS are not so concerned about the miles as they are the engine, drive, breaks and the body.. Maybe I shouldn't care so much about the odometer reading either? But I was raised in North America where the OD is very very important. So now I'm looking at new cars even though I don't want to spend more then 20k.
True, odo's rolled back.

But that shouldn't be the deal killer.

See where the odo was before import, then get a history of the use in the DR if possible. Aim for a one-owner vehicle in the DR and ask some questions.

Knowing the history is better than having a rolled back odo.

Private sale is much better than 95% of dealer cars.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
also, you may announce here on dr1 what type of car you are looking for. this is how i bought my jeepeta and i could not be happier with it.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
The actual condition of the car (no leaking gaskets, no loose suspension bushings, tight steering, smooth transmission shifts, etc) is much more important than the actual miles.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
OK so being from the States "a reputable car dealer" is an oxymoron. In the States there is no such thing even or especially if it is a relative! Good luck in your search...we did find a nice car and our mechanic checked it out and Moca is the place to find the best deals.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I'm planning to buy a used car in the next few months. Can anyone suggest a reputable used car dealership in Moca or Santiago?

I appreciate your help!

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha,Ha,Ha, Ha, Ha,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Reputable used car dealer? Is there one?

Find a car from a private individual who has taken good care of his car .

LTSteve

Cabarete2014

Mar 30, 2014
Thanks you all for your input. Many of you suggested to buy from an indivitual. How would you go about doing that? I couldn't find anything on Craigslist for PP area. I'm looking for a small-midsize car such as Toyaota Corolla, or a small size SUV for $10-12K.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Just this week I traded in my piece of junk Toyota jeepeta to the only dealer who showed any interest. I got a smaller one in much better condition. As I was leaving the lot they were busy trying to get the old beast started. Just drove on past them and don't even look. Maybe hes is not reputable but at least I think I finially put one over on a used car dealer.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I am in Puerto Plata right now. There is I guy here that imports cars from Canada and sells them. They look like nice cars and are clean. I can get more information and or directions. If you are in Cabarete you are not far away. When you pass club pure start looking towards your right. He has several cars that were just imported here.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I'd rather buy a car from a reputable dealer (they do exist) than from a random person. Some people selling their cars don't even have the matricula under their names. I know someone who, after paying and signing the sales contract, the seller told them they'd get back to them about the papers, because the person under whose name the car was had them. After a couple months, they had to take the seller to court.

I bought my car at a dealer in Moca and been very happy with it, they even took care of the matricula . Some of my siblings and neighbors have too, and have had a great experience.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'd rather buy a car from a reputable dealer (they do exist) than from a random person. Some people selling their cars don't even have the matricula under their names. I know someone who, after paying and signing the sales contract, the seller told them they'd get back to them about the papers, because the person under whose name the car was had them. After a couple months, they had to take the seller to court.
Why on earth would ANYONE sign a sales contract without FIRST having done their due diligence?

We bought a car last month from an individual. It took 3 month of constant effort and research to find it. It's an excellent vehicle, low mileage and excellent maintenance, bought for a couple of hundred thousand pesos under worse like models on any lot we visited.

It's possible to find a solid vehicle, but one has to work harder and be more patient.

But if you have a lot of cheese, dealers do have some great cars...but you WILL pay more for them.

Cabarete2014

Mar 30, 2014
Thank you all for your advice. As you can tell, I’m new to the forum and to the country. It is very comforting to know that I’m amongst such helpful members of this community. Thanks again!

bilko

Aug 5, 2011

I appreciate your help!

Check out Facebook web site: Everything Cabarete for sale or lease, many expats use this site to buy and sell cars.

Good luck!

tavarez1982

Jun 29, 2012

I appreciate your help!

Hi,

I have just bought a couple of Jeeps....

I would not recommend using supercarros or other websites... The nice looking photos and what the jeeps actually look like up close are 2 completely different things...

The best thing is to go to Santiago and or Mao and visit the car garages... Have a look at a selection and do your own comparisons. Then haggle for the best price!!!

DONT USE - AUTO MADERA, Santiago... Their cars / jeeps are over priced and in bad condition... Plus they are really slow with processing paperwork...

I would recommend PEPE MOTORS, Santiago They have a great selection of vehicles, give great service and most importantly offer guarantees...

Good luck I hope you find what you are looking for..