Any updates on the colonial zone?

prospero

Oct 6, 2009
Hi guys,

I haven't been back in the DR since August of last year. The last thing I remember hearing about was from a friend of mine who was unfortunate enough to have archaeologists and construction workers find a previously unknown-of colonial wall running down her street near the Spanish Cultural Centre.

• How are works going so far?
  • Is it looking much better or is it still a mess?
  • Does it look like it will end up as wonderful as they want it to be?
  • Do you guys think it will attract more tourists?
  • What other improvement initiatives, if any, have started in the area?
  • Any new finds?
  • How many new Columbusses have been discovered so far?
  • Is the plan to make the whole thing pedestrian still on?
  • Has the sky made its way through the colonial and urban canopy of criss-crossed cables and wires over the old streets?
  • Has the Colonial Zone lost its gritty charm through these "improvements"?

Give me the skinny please.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I hate what they did to La Puerta del Conde!

PANETE.jpg

prospero

Oct 6, 2009
That looks horrible.
When I was 15 or 16 two mates and I protested there with the youth group of the communist party. We were protesting the Dominican government's support of the unjustified American invasion of Iraq. It was a wonderful experience. There was music, there were ridiculous interpretative dances, lots of speeches being made, etc. I was on a stage with my friends around where that bust in the picture is now. I was young and idiotic and what came out of my mouth was young and idiotic but there was a nice swell of emotion in speaking about injustice and rights at the place where the Trinitarios first stormed the city to free it from their own invaders. The wall was a crumbling mass of cracked stone, but it felt more alive for it. Each crack and placement of coral rock had been formed with the formation of Santo Domingo itself.

So what is this? By looking at the picture, I get no emotion. Where are the stones? Where is the crumbling rock? Where is the personality of this place? It could have been built yesterday. Where will I put my stage next time I want to say idiotic things?

What a disappointment.