Punta Cana to Villa Altagracia w/out going through SDQ?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Is there a way yo get to Villa Altagracia coming from PUJ without having to go through Santo Domingo? If yes how long would it take?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Damn...

OK. It seems I can't avoid SDQ then. I arrived many times in SDQ by Taxi at around 7 am / 8 am. Traffic jam allover / rush hour. Is it better to arrive at like 9 or 10 AM? Is the traffic less or is it the same all day?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
PUJ-->Boca Chica->Bayaguana->Monte Plata->Cotui->Piedra Blanca->Villa Alta Gracia.

Will take longer, but a really interesting route.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yes. I've seen that route in maps. Not sure how up to date that is. Do you know how the condition of the roads are there? And how long it would take me more or less?

PUJ-->Boca Chica->Bayaguana->Monte Plata->Cotui->Piedra Blanca->Villa Alta Gracia.

Will take longer, but a really interesting route.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Yes. I've seen that route in maps. Not sure how up to date that is. Do you know how the condition of the roads are there? And how long it would take me more or less?
I've ridden it on motorcycle as well as SUV. It's fine, paved except for maybe a kilometer toward Cotui, and then it top hardpacked gravel for that short stretch. It's actually a nice, pleasant ride.

I'd say maybe 3 hours MOL from BC to Piedra Blanca, then maybe 20-30 mins to Villa Altagracia.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Running the gauntlet

As much as PJT dislikes having to run the gauntlet of Santo Domingo to get to the west or to the central mountains the option of transiting the capital from the east is the lesser of the evils for him, especially if getting from point A to point B is of importance. You have to decide upon your own agenda which gauntlet you wish to challenge.

Just hoping the northern bypass from Boca Chica to Autopista Duarte is finished in reasonable time.

Regards,

PJT