Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Storing Car in DR for months???

We brought one of our cars here to DR last January, and we're getting ready to return to NJ soon. The car will be in our garage for about 8 months, unless we need to come down in between.

Questions for those of you who leave cars for extended periods.....

1. Do you disconnect the battery?

2. Anything else we should know, or do?

The cars we leave in NJ are looked after by our daughter, who starts them, uses them occasionally, etc. No one here I'd trust with the keys.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I left my car in my garage for a few months a while ago. When I came back it had been devoured by rats! They got under the bonnet and made untold damage! Wires, hoses, plastics.....a real mess.

The mechanic who helped me repair it told me that when you lay up a vehicle for extended periods here in this country it's a good idea to leave diesel soaked rags under the bonnet. Rats don't like the smell of diesel, apparently.

You also might want to lay down some poison too, in case the diesel rags trick doesn't work.

And yes, disconnect the battery.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Listen to breeza, AE.

Unless you put it in a sealed bag, you will find some surprises on your return.

At minimum: take the battery out & put a trickle charger on it. Fill the tank and add Sta-Bil; run the car for 20 minutes or so before storage. If you can put it on blocks, take the tires off to prevent weirdness in the tire structure.

Good luck.

Just remember cars deteriorate more when unused than when used.

4. Likes Black Dog, PeterInBrat liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I only leave for 2 months here but leave for 6 months stateside.

Solar trickle charger, gas stabilizer in a full tank..... do not start periodically unless prepared to run it for 45 minutes or so, you create condensation.

big advice is to walk away after 'setting the stage'.... do not touch

in the north, moth balls keep vermin away.... here, dunno but los dominicanos will know

blocks are not a good idea.... may save the tires, but the other parts are designed as weight bearing parts and suffer
    I used to use tire cradles to avoid flat spots
    you neever see museum cars on blocks

check the Maserati and Ferrari owners' websites -- this is a huge topic there
    Maserati Forum - The Site for Maserati Owners comes to mind

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post

in the north, moth balls keep vermin away.... here, dunno but los dominicanos will know
    I was just going to suggest mothballs. Less flammable and the odour will last, actually increase, for 8 months.

As weird as it may sound, load the interior and trunk with dryer sheets if you have any - Bounce or whatever - smells much nicer than mothballs, but keeps rodents away too. I don't mean 3 or 4 sheets, but 30 or 40 tucked in the seats, in the glovebox, all over.

mob

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing you can do is put a tarp down and drive the car onto the middle of it, then lace it up like an auto tamale. Throw in some mothballs, or use some Diesel fuel to keeps away from the wiring. If there is flooding, water will not get to your car.

For longer periods, put the car on jack stands to keep the tires from developing a flat spot. Tire cradles might be best, if you can find them. Overinflating also helps 45 psi or so is as much as you want. Leave a note telling yourself to let some air out when you return. Disconnecting the battery of some newer cars can make it hard to get started, as the computer will go dead and not all of them will boot back up in the proper manner. This depends on the car, you might seek info on this. A trickle charger, perhaps a solar one, might be better for some cars.

8. Likes jabejuventus, Me_again liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    blocks are not a good idea.... may save the tires, but the other parts are designed as weight bearing parts and suffer
    I use jack stands on the axles & A-arms for the sprung weight. NOT on frame members.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

flat spots are more of a cold weather problem and rememebr, they 'roll out in 20-30 minutes on the road

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    We brought one of our cars here to DR last January, and we're getting ready to return to NJ soon. The car will be in our garage for about 8 months, unless we need to come down in between.

Questions for those of you who leave cars for extended periods.....

1. Do you disconnect the battery?

2. Anything else we should know, or do?

The cars we leave in NJ are looked after by our daughter, who starts them, uses them occasionally, etc. No one here I'd trust with the keys.
    AE:

It is NOT a good idea to leave the vehicle sitting in the same spot.

1. Gasoline degrades and can lead to starting problems...or not starting at all.

2. The battery needs to be utilized or it will go bad over a few months.

3. Tires may start to go out of round (flat spotting) or at a minimum incur air leakage/dry rot from the climate and non use..

Your best answer, maybe not the one that works for you, is to have someone drive the vehicle once a week. Keep your tank low and have that person add 500 pesos of fresh gas every month.

All the other options listed above by other posters will work, but this is the BEST option for your Venza.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2
    Last edited by playacaribe2; 04-21-2014 at 05:43 PM.

12. Likes mido liked this post
    Dislikes Commander Ooh La La, USN disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

above is the other option- remember, not a short drive.

low tank if you exercise it regularly, full if sitting.

trickle charger will hold the battery.... my wife started mine after 6 months in PA.... parked in an open field witha cover on it (no falling limbs)
    gas stabilizer is what they use to winterize boats

the new cars/batteries need to work all the time, like the new phones
    My 2012 Jeep has no battery under the hood, its under the passenger seat - A HUGE lithium batteryonly accessedby lifting that seat
    yours may be igual

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast