Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Canadian debit card no funciona

For the past five days my esposo debit card from his canadian bank no funciona. We thought maybe samana santa and the bank machines are out of money but no. It did not work today at scotia bank, progreso,popular nor ban reserva. At popular one brave sole informed us that many people where having a problem.

He has called his bank in canada and they say all is in order there. It does seem to be a dominican problem and more extensive than just an internet malfunction. If it is just a connection problem it is the mother of all time consuming disconnects we have ever experienced. Maybe it is ladronas with this new heartbleed bug lol.

Anybody else having trouble and anybody have a solution short of my husbands next move which is to fly to toronto and get some money lol...just kidding...he has asked for a wire transfer which is common for him but usually for the larger amounts of money.

If it is a problem with canadian banks he will switch to a USA bank. I have a canadian company account with scotia bank so we might switch to them for our personal finances too. It is kind of confusing to me because I can pay employies direct into a dominican bank from canada but his pension fund will only pay into a canadian or USA bank...oh well never a dull moment.

Hopfully it is just a tempory problem and all will return to normal by morning.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried going into a bank and withdrawing the funds you need?

3. Likes N/A liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tarjeta del esposo

Quote Originally Posted by katalina View Post
    For the past five days my esposo debit card from his canadian bank no funciona.
    Does he know about this???

donP

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by katalina View Post
    For the past five days my esposo debit card from his canadian bank no funciona.
    Your spanglish is really good. I hope things work out for you. Good luck!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always used my American debit card here, usually at Asociacion Cibao because thats where I bank. One day it would not go through. I tried it at BHD and Leon...nothing either. Called my bank, everything was fine so went into Asociacion Cibao to figure it out. They said that their machine has stopped taking certain out of country cards. Now my card only works with Banco Popular and ScotiaBank.

I have a friend that works at State Farm which has a bank. State Farm, if you have a deposit checking account (like Direct Deposit with your job or your pension), you can withdraw money anywhere in the world without a fee. The fees are taken out when you withdraw, but then are returned in the next statement period. I just opened an account with them and am switching my direct deposit from work. I just thought that could be another option for some here. I'm going to save a ton on fees, because here they only let you take out 10,000rd per transaction so I rake up alot of fees.

At my first statement cycle after using the card I will let you guys know if indeed they returned the fees.

SHALENA

Post Thanks / Like

Post Debit Card

Quote Originally Posted by SKing View Post
    I have always used my American debit card here, usually at Asociacion Cibao because thats where I bank. One day it would not go through. I tried it at BHD and Leon...nothing either. Called my bank, everything was fine so went into Asociacion Cibao to figure it out. They said that their machine has stopped taking certain out of country cards. Now my card only works with Banco Popular and ScotiaBank.

I have a friend that works at State Farm which has a bank. State Farm, if you have a deposit checking account (like Direct Deposit with your job or your pension), you can withdraw money anywhere in the world without a fee. The fees are taken out when you withdraw, but then are returned in the next statement period. I just opened an account with them and am switching my direct deposit from work. I just thought that could be another option for some here. I'm going to save a ton on fees, because here they only let you take out 10,000rd per transaction so I rake up alot of fees.

At my first statement cycle after using the card I will let you guys know if indeed they returned the fees.

SHALENA
    Just got back from Cabarete I think there was about 25 people that >I know that had the same problem I even had my internet connection with Bank Royal block off Had to go my bank in Canada to get it fix Next time I will be using my credit card need to go Inside the bank with passeport and a other proof but nothing can block a credit card and you can pay thru the net

8. Likes Rosss liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem is local. The software they use is supposed to be updated frequently to enhance security patches. Problem is local bank IT directors never do it until the last moment, so the cards cannot interface with the US system. So when you punch in your PIN# the card never responds because there is no answer on the other side of the network because they never updated their software to interface with the US system.

You ll never notice this until a holiday comes up and not only do you need the money but everyone is on vacation until after the holiday passes so they save all this tedious work until they are back on their normal work schedule.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Problems will become more frequent

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Ooh La La, USN View Post
    The problem is local. The software they use is supposed to be updated frequently to enhance security patches. Problem is local bank IT directors never do it until the last moment, so the cards cannot interface with the US system. So when you punch in your PIN# the card never responds because there is no answer on the other side of the network because they never updated their software to interface with the US system.

You ll never notice this until a holiday comes up and not only do you need the money but everyone is on vacation until after the holiday passes so they save all this tedious work until they are back on their normal work schedule.
    The problems will become more frequent in the coming months since Microsoft has discontinued updates and security patches on its XP version. A majority of banks and businesses use XP. They will have to update or suffer injury to business.

Regards,

PJT

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I was at Banco Popular Sosua today, no issue with my BMO debit card.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by donP View Post
    Does he know about this???

donP
    Yes he knows, in fact I usually make his withdrawels for him. His debit card was stolen some years ago and the replacment card can not be used in the bank let alone me use it.

He just likes to keep a little spending money of his own, I take care of the rest.

The security thing sounds about right because even when he asked for some higher up authority in the bank to explain why his card does not work they said try again tommorow and it must be your bank in canada at fault so he said they where lying to us.

You should have seen them starting to squirm when he asked for the bank presidentīs address so he could go and ask him what the F was going on!

I got to learn how to make those little moving figures my hubby is LHAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast