Canadian debit card no funciona

katalina

Jan 14, 2014
For the past five days my esposo debit card from his canadian bank no funciona. We thought maybe samana santa and the bank machines are out of money but no. It did not work today at scotia bank, progreso,popular nor ban reserva. At popular one brave sole informed us that many people where having a problem.

He has called his bank in canada and they say all is in order there. It does seem to be a dominican problem and more extensive than just an internet malfunction. If it is just a connection problem it is the mother of all time consuming disconnects we have ever experienced. Maybe it is ladronas with this new heartbleed bug lol.

Anybody else having trouble and anybody have a solution short of my husbands next move which is to fly to toronto and get some money lol...just kidding...he has asked for a wire transfer which is common for him but usually for the larger amounts of money.

If it is a problem with canadian banks he will switch to a USA bank. I have a canadian company account with scotia bank so we might switch to them for our personal finances too. It is kind of confusing to me because I can pay employies direct into a dominican bank from canada but his pension fund will only pay into a canadian or USA bank...oh well never a dull moment.

Hopfully it is just a tempory problem and all will return to normal by morning.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I have always used my American debit card here, usually at Asociacion Cibao because thats where I bank. One day it would not go through. I tried it at BHD and Leon...nothing either. Called my bank, everything was fine so went into Asociacion Cibao to figure it out. They said that their machine has stopped taking certain out of country cards. Now my card only works with Banco Popular and ScotiaBank.

I have a friend that works at State Farm which has a bank. State Farm, if you have a deposit checking account (like Direct Deposit with your job or your pension), you can withdraw money anywhere in the world without a fee. The fees are taken out when you withdraw, but then are returned in the next statement period. I just opened an account with them and am switching my direct deposit from work. I just thought that could be another option for some here. I'm going to save a ton on fees, because here they only let you take out 10,000rd per transaction so I rake up alot of fees.

At my first statement cycle after using the card I will let you guys know if indeed they returned the fees.

SHALENA

yvon1950

Oct 21, 2013
Debit Card

I have always used my American debit card here, usually at Asociacion Cibao because thats where I bank. One day it would not go through. I tried it at BHD and Leon...nothing either. Called my bank, everything was fine so went into Asociacion Cibao to figure it out. They said that their machine has stopped taking certain out of country cards. Now my card only works with Banco Popular and ScotiaBank.

I have a friend that works at State Farm which has a bank. State Farm, if you have a deposit checking account (like Direct Deposit with your job or your pension), you can withdraw money anywhere in the world without a fee. The fees are taken out when you withdraw, but then are returned in the next statement period. I just opened an account with them and am switching my direct deposit from work. I just thought that could be another option for some here. I'm going to save a ton on fees, because here they only let you take out 10,000rd per transaction so I rake up alot of fees.

At my first statement cycle after using the card I will let you guys know if indeed they returned the fees.

SHALENA
Just got back from Cabarete I think there was about 25 people that >I know that had the same problem I even had my internet connection with Bank Royal block off Had to go my bank in Canada to get it fix Next time I will be using my credit card need to go Inside the bank with passeport and a other proof but nothing can block a credit card and you can pay thru the net

Apr 7, 2014
The problem is local. The software they use is supposed to be updated frequently to enhance security patches. Problem is local bank IT directors never do it until the last moment, so the cards cannot interface with the US system. So when you punch in your PIN# the card never responds because there is no answer on the other side of the network because they never updated their software to interface with the US system.

You ll never notice this until a holiday comes up and not only do you need the money but everyone is on vacation until after the holiday passes so they save all this tedious work until they are back on their normal work schedule.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Problems will become more frequent

The problem is local. The software they use is supposed to be updated frequently to enhance security patches. Problem is local bank IT directors never do it until the last moment, so the cards cannot interface with the US system. So when you punch in your PIN# the card never responds because there is no answer on the other side of the network because they never updated their software to interface with the US system.

You ll never notice this until a holiday comes up and not only do you need the money but everyone is on vacation until after the holiday passes so they save all this tedious work until they are back on their normal work schedule.

The problems will become more frequent in the coming months since Microsoft has discontinued updates and security patches on its XP version. A majority of banks and businesses use XP. They will have to update or suffer injury to business.

Regards,

PJT

katalina

Jan 14, 2014
Does he know about this??? :cheeky: :bunny:

donP

Yes he knows, in fact I usually make his withdrawels for him. His debit card was stolen some years ago and the replacment card can not be used in the bank let alone me use it.

He just likes to keep a little spending money of his own, I take care of the rest.

The security thing sounds about right because even when he asked for some higher up authority in the bank to explain why his card does not work they said try again tommorow and it must be your bank in canada at fault so he said they where lying to us.

You should have seen them starting to squirm when he asked for the bank president?s address so he could go and ask him what the F was going on!

I got to learn how to make those little moving figures my hubby is LHAO.:bunny:

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Sounds like a great idea to start a Merchant Account Business here....So simple minded IT Techs here

The problems will become more frequent in the coming months since Microsoft has discontinued updates and security patches on its XP version. A majority of banks and businesses use XP. They will have to update or suffer injury to business.

Regards,

PJT

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com

SHALENA

Hallo SHALENA,

After reading DR1 for a couple of years & reading some advice, before I actually moved here nearly 11yrs ago, one thing I have learnt... is NEVER use ANY machine in this country to withdraw money.. Go INSIDE the bank, present 3 docs as proof of your identity, then you can withdraw your money from your credit card.. (security procedures/requirements have increased over the past few years, for different reasons)

Over the years I have lived here, Banco Popular and ScotiaBank, & others, have been known to have a "weakness" in their external withdrawal machines..

Fortunately I am a world traveller, thus my bank blocks any ATM, in any country, unless I inform them first where I am going to. I NEVER use my international credit cards in the DR. I just use the credit cards that were issued by the bank & in the country I am in at that time

Dangerous world out there SHALENA, trust only yourself,, and your 'Home Bank'

BE Safe & Good Luck

LBB

katalina

Jan 14, 2014
Thank you all for the most helpful replies.

My husband suffered a slight stroke so am up to me to get his debit card fixed.

His bank in canada will not allow a wire transfer using email...must enter the bank to do that. They have no answer yet as to why his dedit card is not function. I will be in town later today and will try it again. The embassy canadian says use forex so I have today applied for us. I also have not yet got a reply from the embassy but they should be able to help.

Most new methods for transfering money have to be started while in canada. A round trip to toronto for a day or so will cost about $2500cdn and I am thinking of going. A flight leaves on saterday from puerto plata....hope I can find a cheaper solution before then.

His bank is with him for many years but the people there are rules to follow sooooo...life goes on.

Yes CCCCCCCCCCC his account has a healty balence even with me helping myself from time to time.....lol I always enjoy your posts.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Have you not a friend in Canada you can transfer $$ to and they can wire to you?
All banks want a walkin --

you can Interac $$ to the friend/relative and they will do the wire.

Load up a loan on a credit card.

I will be there in 2 weeks .... tgoo late for you I expect

or go the xoom route and pay the hefty fees - cheaper than airfare

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
Friends of mine had the same problem in February. Two couples, one had a Canadian scotiabank card, the other a TD card. The only atm that would work for them was the Scotiabank atm in sousa, and at the scotiabank atm in cabarete. Many times the Scotia atm in Sosua would not work, I think because it was out of money.

Me, I have a BMO card, and it would work everywhere (but I have been using it for years in more than one country).

Recently, I was in Mexico City and had to try 5 banks before my card would work in an ATM. I think this shows that this is not a problem limited to the Dominican Republic. There must be some sort of communication issue between the local country ATM's and the foreign card issuer.

FYI. everyone asked their home bank what the problem with their card was, and were told it should be working.

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
Also, how many digits are in your PIN? I have read that many ATM's only accept 4 digit PIN's, but some bank cards use 6 digits. In that case a 6 digit PIN will not work.