Modern furniture on the North Coast?

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
Hi, and sorry for all questions. Newbie...

I have looked in furniture store here on the North Coast, but most of them seem to be bulky, Kaoba, dark style. I guess Dominicans like it but I don't. I might go to IKEA, but how do their furniture stand the moisture? Any other suggestins on the North Coast or Santiago?

Thank you in advance.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Try Ilumel in Santo Domingo. They will deliver anywhere. Hands down best furniture store in the country. They are online and on facebook.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I like Ikea but their sofas and arm chairs are not of the best quality. They are better for book cases, kitchen cabinets and other household items.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Take a look at the store in Sosua that makes wicker type furniture. (big yellow wicKer chair outside) . They can make anything that you have a picture of and they have a huge display area of 2 floors on their stock items. They have custom made me a piece with 9 drawers for my entrance,- very modern and well made. They also copied a very ornate wicker rocking chair for me that you cannot tell from the original. Talk to the owner Yvonne, german and speaks excellent english. If possibe I like to keep my dollars on the north coast------

texan

Apr 1, 2014
We got some nice outside chairs the other day in Puerto Plata. They are common here. You can also check pricesmart. You can look online and would have to order it then have it delivered or pick it up. They have great folding chairs and folding tables if you need them to entertain outside. More expensive but they are sturdy and should not break. We seem to be outside a lot and use the tables and chairs.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
https://flic.kr/p/nhdkvY

I need to learn how to post pictures better. In case you are looking for some patio furniture. These are common but they are different sizes. I really need to sit in them because some where thinner then others. We paid 12,000 pesos for a set of four and a small matching table in puerto plata. We have them on our balcony and they are pretty nice. They have different color chairs and different color cushions. So you can ask if you want a different color.

Our bedroom set is the typical dominican furniture. It isn't bad but isn't great.

Cocoa6705

Apr 22, 2014
DO NOT DO IKEA FURNITURE IN THE DR!

Take it from me. I purchased a villa in August 2012 and needed to furnish it quickly. Didn't know the custom furniture makers and didn't have the time if I did. I purchased all the furniture from the US through IKEA. No issues with the transaction, but by June of 2013 i had to replace all of the IKEA furniture. Between not being able to hold up to rental wear and tear and the humidity, the furniture didn't last a year. It's cute, but that cheap particleboard material swells in the humid climate.

I researched alot of options as I changed out furniture. By far, my best option was Yvonne at Mimbre y Rattan. Someone mentioned her in an earlier post. She has modern pieces and will even do custom work based on your pictures or dimensions. They have a FB page.

A new spot (for me at least) I came across on my last trip is Casa Supply. They are super modern and I believe Swiss. They have a website with pricing casasuply.com

Good luck.

s1mpleton

Dec 24, 2013
between Cabarete and sabaneta de yasica there is a large store i believe "inoa and reyes" interesting furnishings there. if you head east from Cabarete it will be on the left just before the curve into sabaneta de yasica.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I get my modern furniture at PriceSmart.
I am a fan of pricesmart. You have to order some of the items. They have some decent quality stuff you can't find in Puerto Plata. I guess Santo Domingo would have some more options but there isn't a whole lot to choose from in Puerto Plata.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
between Cabarete and sabaneta de yasica there is a large store i believe "inoa and reyes" interesting furnishings there. if you head east from Cabarete it will be on the left just before the curve into sabaneta de yasica.

I will check them out tomorrow. Thanks! :)

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
I am a fan of pricesmart. You have to order some of the items. They have some decent quality stuff you can't find in Puerto Plata. I guess Santo Domingo would have some more options but there isn't a whole lot to choose from in Puerto Plata.

Went all around PoP today, and found nothing interesting... Sad!

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Went all around PoP today, and found nothing interesting... Sad!

I have been to maybe 5 furniture stores in Puerto Plata. Most of the furniture looks the same. My bedroom set is from Puerto Plata and is dominican furniture. It is a queen size bed. It is ok but nothing great. I think trying to find a nice sofa is even harder. I posted a picture of the rocking chairs we bought for outside. I do like them and have them on our balcony.

It is a huge shock if you are use to the selection, quality and prices in the US. Pricesmart will have some stuff but still nothing like the huge selection people are use to from the US. I am not sure of the shipping cost but a guy that lives near us has a shipping company. I am just renting and do not live here full time. If I did retire down here I would ship a container here.

Hidelisa Center seems like the more expensive one here in Puerto Plata. Hidelisa also owns the fabric store here in Puerto Plata.

I can't tell you much about Santigo or Santo Domingo. I have been to Ikea and only bought stuff for a two year old. They have some cool stuff for toddlers. But everyone seems to say there furniture is not good quality.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Have you been to Distribution Gonzalez near Park Central in Puerto Plata ?? They have very nice and modern american style furniture.... Their prices are what you would expect in the U.S or Canada and they deliver.

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
I have been to Gonzalez and almost killed myself! Went upstairs to see more sofas and as I approach the first display my foot went through the floor…. there was an opening in the floor, a bit bigger than my foot and the whole thing was covered by carpeting. The saleslady giggled. Sr Gonzalez was not around neither was any manager and nobody knew when there would be one… I was lucky that both my knee prosthesis held up but not my temper. I rolled back the carpet so that people would have a chance to see the booby trap but I don't know whether the hole was ever fixed.
So if you chose to go there please be careful as to where you walk… and there was another sofa missing a leg… interesting to sit on a sofa with 3 legs when you have a bad back.
I will be happy to post my full name and phone # if that is a requirement of the mods.

Cocoa6705

Apr 22, 2014

I second this recommendation. I purchased 2 bedroom sets from this place. Good quality and holding up much better than the previous Ikea beds.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What about "La Sirena" in Puerto Plata???????????
They sell furniture at "La Sirena" at the Churchill location, at least, location here in SD.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
What about "La Sirena" in Puerto Plata???????????
They sell furniture at "La Sirena" at the Churchill location, at least, location here in SD.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

The last time I was there they didn't have furniture.

drescape24