An interesting statistic

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Over the Easter weekend there were twenty five people killed in the Dominican Republic. Over the Easter weekend there were forty five people shot in Chicago alone. Chicago and Santo Domingo have roughly equal populations. I'm headed to Santo Domingo tonight where I'll be safer than in my own country.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Over the Easter weekend there were twenty five people killed in the Dominican Republic. Over the Easter weekend there were forty five people shot in Chicago alone. Chicago and Santo Domingo have roughly equal populations. I'm headed to Santo Domingo tonight where I'll be safer than in my own country.

Maybe. Just like in Chicago, your safety in Santo Domingo depends very much upon where you travel and who you associate with.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

You are spoiling things for those on DR1 who write posts suggesting the DR is the most dangerous place on earth.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Take note that 29 of the deaths over the 4-day weekend were in traffic accidents and the remaining 4 drowned.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

Off course hanging out on the South Side might get you killed, twenty years ago when I used to visit it it was already rough so I can imagine how it is now.
Hey these people were all ticked off because they had no where to go. Dominican tigrues had fun at the beach/river and no time to do much killing ;)

Apr 7, 2014

Hey now, being Shot does not equal being killed. And to be fair, there are more ways to account for holiday deaths. Would the homicide rate be higher in SD if these people could get their hands on cheap guns and ammunition? Definitely. Look at your average large Mexican city. But since they cant get the cheap weapons, the tend to use other measures. There are more shootings in Chicago than in Paris but people still get murdered in Paris, just the same.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Shot aint sheeeet unless you kill em. It just means they were hit by a bullet. You cannot compare the numbers.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

you are wrong on DR statistics part. there were 33 deaths accordingly to centro de operativos de emergencia. and all of those were traffic accidents and drownings. deaths due to the violence were not included. there were several murders, deaths is arguments and suicides.

chicago is a violent city with high crime rate. one of my friends has lived there for 10 years or so, never an issue. some family members have lived in SD for 50 years and never and issue. it all depends on how you live and where you go. you do not seem like a person who will look for trouble. so my guess is that you are going to be fine in SD, just like you are in chicago.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I didn't get any feel of danger in Chicago, or anywhere I went in Illinois, but hey, I only spent like a week there. After my trip, I did see a report on people getting shot here, I think it was on 20/20.