Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it possible?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it possible?

Hi everyone!

Really need your input!

I spent the first 12 years of my life in the Dominican Republic (Santo Domingo), lived 1 year in Canada and then moved to the Netherlands. Now, married with 3 children, really yearning for another way of life. My father was Dutch and my mother is Dominican and lives in Bonao.
    I really love the freedom of living in the DR. In a couple of hours you're in the mountains, beach, wherever. My children could experience another way of life. With more family around and more help for me. I don't like the feeling of raising my children alone...I believe it takes a village!

I'm an educational psychologist (intelligence testing, dyslexia, giftedness, etc), energy therapist and also a life and business coach. I run 2 private practices. My husband is a mechanical engineer with his own company.

I think the question is...am I just dreaming or is it really possible for us to make the move? I'm thinking of course of the children and schooling. But also, how would I make a living there? Are there jobs available for someonle like me? And for my husband? Would we need to set up businesses there or are we employable? I'm fluent in Spanish, Dutch and English. My husband is fluent in Dutch, English and German.

I do not want to live in Santo Domingo...too crowded for us, so we are thinking of the Puerto Plata/Sosua area.

You're welcome to look at our websites, but they are in Dutch, to get an impression of what we do...

My practice for children and parents: Kinderpraktijk Wijchen Welkom bij Kinderpraktijk Wijchen voor begeleiding en diagnostiek or look at: www.facebook.com/kinderpraktijkwijchen
    My practice for adults: www.praktijkbg.nl or look at: www.facebook.com/PraktijkBG
    My husband's company: Stako Snijtechniek - Home

Thank you all in advance for any advice/input/help,
    Karin

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I always say if you need to work for living in the DR, then stay where you are!

3. Likes Harleysrock, Criss Colon liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

So...not possible D.Rep? What do you do?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the links

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If I were you, I would try to open a dialogue with the Sosua International school International School Sosua - Working Together to Give our Children the Best Education to see what THEY think about the possibilites of your filling a practice.

But as for your husband.. he would have to speak Spanish.

so.. perhaps it might be better to plan for long summer trips to Bonao?

7. Likes Karin Monster liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

My first reaction for families with children is stay where you are. I'm dutch myself, married and have three children plus one on the way and think many times the Netherlands would have been a better place to raise our children. Especially on the education part.

However in your case: you area of expertise helps you a lot to make sure your children get the right education. Also it shouldn't be difficult to find work in your area, if you aim for the expensive private schools you can let them hire you as a psychologist on a part time basis to different schools. You seem to be of the entrepreneur type, so don't even think of taking a job. Start your companies here.

The only problem I see is that the area where you would like to live is not the best to exercise your profession. Santo Domingo would be better, but I agree that it is too crowded, especially if you come from Wijchen.

By the way: I work for a living here , I am not saying it's easy, but it's doable. I have no capital and if I lose my job we would definitely have to go back, but we are here for 4 years now, and have been here for 8 years in total, and even though things have been tight now and then, we never lacked anything we needed.

9. Likes Karin Monster, jinty05, zlj1 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mauricio,

Thanks for your reaction (Bedankt!). Where do you work?Live? And where do your children go to school? I went to St.George myself as a child and loved it...it has become very expensive?

What would you say, as a Dutchman, are the positive sides for living in the DR?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karin Monster View Post
    So...not possible D.Rep? What do you do?
    Making a good living working at your profession is unlikely. One reason is that pay is much less here than where you are and the present demand for your services is much less.

Before this country is ready to think about educational psychologists, for example, it has to get more decent teachers. A large number of the teachers are only minimally trained and are not very competent. It is just now starting to think about improving training and evaluating teachers. Also, pay for teachers is low.

Possibly with your training and experience and, more important, your fluency in Spanish, you might find a job as a professor in a university or as a teacher in a school, but the pay will be significantly less than what you could earn where you are.

Many here have a retirement income, others have a business they can run using the internet, others have a variety of income sources in their home country. And some have good positions in the tourist industry working for a hotel chain that pays them a good salary, or for a foreign company that pays them well.

But to come here to live without prior arrangements and assurances you will be paid what you believe you need to give your family the life you want them to have would be foolish, in my opinion.

And the fact you don't want to live in Santo Domingo but in Sosua/Puerto Plata, makes it even more unlikely you could provide for your family as well as you can now.

12. Likes Karin Monster liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your feedback! Gives us a lot to think about! And thanks for the International School tip, I will certainly look into this as well.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karin Monster View Post
    Hi Mauricio,

Thanks for your reaction (Bedankt!). Where do you work?Live? And where do your children go to school? I went to St.George myself as a child and loved it...it has become very expensive?

What would you say, as a Dutchman, are the positive sides for living in the DR?
    I work and live in Santo Domingo. My children go to the school of my parents in law (where my wife also works), which is not a high end expensive private school. St. George is a good, but expensive school.

I'm semi-self employed (or a semi-employee) working as a commercial representative for a swedish company.

For me the positive sides for living in the DR is the way I am able to work here (the Netherlands is so institutionalized that it's difficult to organize your work / family life in another way than the way 'you are supposed to' (work from 9-5, monday to friday). Besides the climate from october to march is a reason to not wanting to go back. However, I must add that I (we) think and talk a lot about going back. First because of the education of the children and secondly because economically I was way better of in the Netherlands. However, I know that's partly to blame to my 'lack of initiative'. Enough opportunities have come my way to start a business or partner up with someone who started one, but my 'risk aversion' attitude impeded me to go forward on that.

We are coming to Holland in the summer and I will use that time to determine if we could settle again if we would go back.

15. Likes Karin Monster liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast