Leonel Part 3??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
To tell you the truth, I've been pleasantly surprised with Danilo Medina's run so far. Roads and schools being built, the average "Jose" actually SEES something being done.

We wish he could serve another 4 years. And we're not a PLD family.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
From all reports, Danilo has proven to be a very good President. He has given absolutely no sign that he is interested in being President-for-Life and looks comfortable in his own skin. An usual politician. Perhaps being restricted to one continuous 4 year term is a good thing.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
From all reports, Danilo has proven to be a very good President. He has given absolutely no sign that he is interested in being President-for-Life and looks comfortable in his own skin. An usual politician. Perhaps being restricted to one continuous 4 year term is a good thing.

What would happen, if the majority of the Dominicans population takes street and demand that Danilo runs for President for another four years. Does he still need to follow the constitution even though the majority of the people want him to run again, just wondering!!!!!!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Danilo definitely seems to be more honest and transparent. The question is: How is Danilo handling the economy. They have the dollar kind of under control, but there is no liquidity in the street. That always happens, but never for such a long time as since Danilo's cabinet is in charge.

Since Danilo is not available in 2016, I hope Leonel comes back and that he takes example from Danilo in the transparency part.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
What would happen, if the majority of the Dominicans population takes street and demand that Danilo runs for President for another four years. Does he still need to follow the constitution even though the majority of the people want him to run again, just wondering!!!!!!

He was in Boca Cachon to inaugurate a new village that was build for the people that live near Lago Enriquillo. People cheered, '4 year more'. He got irritated and told them to stop.

On the other hand. Danilo is a smart politician, after all he was the brain behind of campaign of Leonel that got him into power in '96. Who knows what card he has up his sleeve.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Danilo definitely seems to be more honest and transparent. The question is: How is Danilo handling the economy. They have the dollar kind of under control, but there is no liquidity in the street. That always happens, but never for such a long time as since Danilo's cabinet is in charge.

i do not think that most voters here are really capable of judging that. they see roads constructed, schools built, projects like boca cachon and nueva barquita, prestamos to agriculture workers, plan de alfabetizacion. economy is an empty word to them.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
yes, I agree, unfortunately. It's a lot easier to construct schools and houses than keep the economy afloat. But maybe I'm wrong and the economy is picking up the coming months.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
danilo has a degree in economy thou. i wonder if he (or PLD) has a long term plan to improve the economy...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The #1 item that Danilo is accomplishing is a movement from a totally corrupt gubmint toward less corruption.

Anyone shutting off the spigot overnight puts himself in danger.

But over time the gubmint culture seems to be changing, and I say this as a person who has had personal interface with numerous high-level gubmint officials the last 18+ months.

It's not perfect by any means. But Danilo & his guys are making some progress where there never had been any real effort in the past.

Aug 6, 2006
It is difficult for a small country like the DR to improve the economy, since it depends on so many factors outside the control of the government. The DR can assist industries, but it cannot keep tourism rising if there is a crisis in the US and Europe, it cannot set the price of bauxite or gold or sugar. A majority of the people are relatively poor. By improving schools, roads, housing and electricity the DR government can improve their lives. Improvements of this sort also result in more jobs available to people. Inflation has not been a major problem lately. Of course, with the peso pegged to the dollar there will always be a small amount of inflation, because the dollar is inflated a5t a 2-3% rate to prevent booms and busts.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It is difficult for a small country like the DR to improve the economy, since it depends on so many factors outside the control of the government. The DR can assist industries, but it cannot keep tourism rising if there is a crisis in the US and Europe, it cannot set the price of bauxite or gold or sugar. A majority of the people are relatively poor. By improving schools, roads, housing and electricity the DR government can improve their lives. Improvements of this sort also result in more jobs available to people. Inflation has not been a major problem lately. Of course, with the peso pegged to the dollar there will always be a small amount of inflation, because the dollar is inflated a5t a 2-3% rate to prevent booms and busts.

I don't agree. A small country can as well improve or hurt their economy as a big one. A bigger country depends just as well on many factors outside control of the government and as much inside the country as outside the country. It's a lot easier for a government to control an economy when it is small than when it's big. In DR the economy depends greatly on government spending. Danilo closed the money faucet (a good thing) but he closed it so much, there is no money in the street.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I don't agree. A small country can as well improve or hurt their economy as a big one.
Disagree to an extent.

It depends on the resources within it's borders, physical & intellectual.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
People are discontented with the same old, same old excess, corruption and warped priorities but somehow their resentment is not aimed against Danilo "con su carita de pendejo". There's been plenty of muttering about the habichuela con dulce handout to legislators, the eight helicopters used to transport the bigwigs to the Boca de Chacon inauguration, just to mention a couple of cases from the last few days.