Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric in DR

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Electric in DR

I am not sure if this is a repeat thread but please advise me since I seem cant find here in DR1.

However, I am curious which area, sector or city in DR has worse electric outages/rolling blackouts. I know some areas in Santo Domingo has 24/7. Same for most resorts in Punta Cana and one in La Romana. I'm not sure about other areas.

For SD itself, I notice the captiol has more electric than anywhere in SD, please correct me if I am mistaken or forgot about something.

I want to understand more about electric problems in DR.

Thanks.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

every city is divided into zones of A, B, C, D with A receiving 24/7 power and the rest receiving scheduled interruptions (blackouts). each city has own sectors. the country's electric is run by edenorte, edesur and edeeste (north, south and east). they deliver patchy service throughout the country, meaning that each has zones without blackouts and with frequent blackouts. generally the better area the better the power with poor neighbourhoods receiving most blackouts. some poorer areas may receive good power because of the power of the votes, of course.

if you want to understand why the power is so f**ked up it is really very simple. electricity became a currency between the government and the poor. the poor receive subsidized power in return for votes. in addition to that there has been little maintenance towards the existing line so lots of the power produced is "lost". add to this constant electricity theft and you end up with unstable system that cannot hold.

3. Likes AlterEgo, KateP liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

i heard they are installing the power polls much higher now so the people cannot reach them to connect and steal power from other barrios. and if caught there will be fines to pay. which is all ok, cause people shouldnt steal power from anywhere, but it sucks for the people who have been set up for years and now will suffer hours without power that where are not used to .

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaykat18987 View Post
    i heard they are installing the power polls much higher now so the people cannot reach them to connect and steal power from other barrios. and if caught there will be fines to pay. which is all ok, cause people shouldnt steal power from anywhere, but it sucks for the people who have been set up for years and now will suffer hours without power that where are not used to .
    they will just have to get used to paying for something they consume. they are ostensibly adults...

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    they will just have to get used to paying for something they consume. they are ostensibly adults...
    Or they will just steal from one of their neighbors..... old habits die hard.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

7. Likes Criss Colon, KateP, waytogo, keepcoming liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Or they will just steal from one of their neighbors..... old habits die hard.
    in the bad old days when you could just buy a cable box, a Dominican guy moved into an apartment close to mine. the first night he was there, i noticed that my cable feed became unstable. i subsequently discovered that, lo and behold, this upstanding exemplar of virtue had simply connected into my cable. the least he could have done was to ask me first. i guess he preferred to know he was stealing something.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been in an "A" zone for over two years.
    It is not 24/7, or even close!
    My power is off almost daily, from a few minutes 20 times, to 6 to 8 hours, several times a week.
    You will need an "Inversor",..."UPS" with batteries if you want 24/7 power.
    If you are paying 1,000 US a month, it will be a better power situation than in the "Barrios".
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    I pay about 16,000 a month, so be ready to PAY!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon View Post
    I have been in an "A" zone for over two years.
    It is not 24/7, or even close!
    My power is off almost daily, from a few minutes 20 times, to 6 to 8 hours, several times a week.
    You will need an "Inversor",..."UPS" with batteries if you want 24/7 power.
    If you are paying 1,000 US a month, it will be a better power situation than in the "Barrios".
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    I pay about 16,000 a month, so be ready to PAY!
    i pay way less than 1000 per month, and my electricity only goes off when something goes wrong with the equipment. no scheduled blackouts.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaykat18987 View Post
    Our barrio got "cut off" last week, Edenorte left and 10 minutes later they were hooked up again...They can put those lines up as high as they want but Dominicans will find a way to get free luz!

12. Likes bronzeallspice, zoomzx11 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleysrock View Post
    but Dominicans will find a way to get free luz!
    Odilio Gonzalez La Luz. - YouTube

Moderator DR1.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast