Electric in DR

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I am not sure if this is a repeat thread but please advise me since I seem cant find here in DR1.

However, I am curious which area, sector or city in DR has worse electric outages/rolling blackouts. I know some areas in Santo Domingo has 24/7. Same for most resorts in Punta Cana and one in La Romana. I'm not sure about other areas.

For SD itself, I notice the captiol has more electric than anywhere in SD, please correct me if I am mistaken or forgot about something.

I want to understand more about electric problems in DR.

Thanks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
every city is divided into zones of A, B, C, D with A receiving 24/7 power and the rest receiving scheduled interruptions (blackouts). each city has own sectors. the country's electric is run by edenorte, edesur and edeeste (north, south and east). they deliver patchy service throughout the country, meaning that each has zones without blackouts and with frequent blackouts. generally the better area the better the power with poor neighbourhoods receiving most blackouts. some poorer areas may receive good power because of the power of the votes, of course.

if you want to understand why the power is so f**ked up it is really very simple. electricity became a currency between the government and the poor. the poor receive subsidized power in return for votes. in addition to that there has been little maintenance towards the existing line so lots of the power produced is "lost". add to this constant electricity theft and you end up with unstable system that cannot hold.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
i heard they are installing the power polls much higher now so the people cannot reach them to connect and steal power from other barrios. and if caught there will be fines to pay. which is all ok, cause people shouldnt steal power from anywhere, but it sucks for the people who have been set up for years and now will suffer hours without power that where are not used to .

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i heard they are installing the power polls much higher now so the people cannot reach them to connect and steal power from other barrios. and if caught there will be fines to pay. which is all ok, cause people shouldnt steal power from anywhere, but it sucks for the people who have been set up for years and now will suffer hours without power that where are not used to .

they will just have to get used to paying for something they consume. they are ostensibly adults...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Or they will just steal from one of their neighbors..... old habits die hard.

in the bad old days when you could just buy a cable box, a Dominican guy moved into an apartment close to mine. the first night he was there, i noticed that my cable feed became unstable. i subsequently discovered that, lo and behold, this upstanding exemplar of virtue had simply connected into my cable. the least he could have done was to ask me first. i guess he preferred to know he was stealing something.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have been in an "A" zone for over two years.
It is not 24/7, or even close!
My power is off almost daily, from a few minutes 20 times, to 6 to 8 hours, several times a week.
You will need an "Inversor",..."UPS" with batteries if you want 24/7 power.
If you are paying 1,000 US a month, it will be a better power situation than in the "Barrios".
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I pay about 16,000 a month, so be ready to PAY!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My power is off almost daily, from a few minutes 20 times, to 6 to 8 hours, several times a week.
If you are paying 1,000 US a month, it will be a better power situation than in the "Barrios".

i pay way less than 1000 per month, and my electricity only goes off when something goes wrong with the equipment. no scheduled blackouts.

Our barrio got "cut off" last week, Edenorte left and 10 minutes later they were hooked up again...They can put those lines up as high as they want but Dominicans will find a way to get free luz!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The amount you pay, depends on the amount you use.
As your usage goes up, so does the rate you pay per kilowatt hour.
I'm at the highest rate, BUT, we ALL sleep "COOL"!
Windows closed, no noise, no dust, no mosquitoes, & lots of blankets!
"BBBBBrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I pay 4000 per month at the moment (3000 in winter) and have hardly any blackout. Airco only in the children bedrooms. Our 24/7 is almost really 24/7.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Our barrio got "cut off" last week, Edenorte left and 10 minutes later they were hooked up again...They can put those lines up as high as they want but Dominicans will find a way to get free luz!

LOL! I hear you!:classic:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
A zone is no guarantee. Unless you have a gen set, inverter with lots of batteries and a big diesel fuel tank you cannot be assured of 24/7 electricity anywhere in the DR. They can put those electric lines sky high and it will not matter, Dominincans will find a way. Its their culture. In the US you grow up with more or less free water. Poor in the DR grow up with free juice. All of a sudden there is a political change and you are going to pay for electricity? No way. Its a game and Doms are very very good at this game.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012

Chris I want to come and see your place - you must have an AC in every room plus hallways ha - 16000 is a lot - although saying that my mate had a business in the Colonial zone and his was around 40,000 each month. Think I will stick to my ceiling fans thanks!

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
16000 is normal for a big house with a lot of a/c.

I pay around 10,000 a month and i have everything inverter.

Yes i do use the a/c and electricity a lot, but still.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
I have to say the Colonial Zone is pretty much 24/7 - obviously for the tourists - I can count the blackouts I have had on one hand in the last 6 months and that was due to them putting some cables underground with the renovation project.
I bought a generator as backup but still haven t got around to hooking it up as it never goes off. I am waiting for the day that it goes off for a long time to get my ass in gear and actually hook it up

I have to say the Colonial Zone is pretty much 24/7 - obviously for the tourists - I can count the blackouts I have had on one hand in the last 6 months and that was due to them putting some cables underground with the renovation project.
I bought a generator as backup but still haven t got around to hooking it up as it never goes off. I am waiting for the day that it goes off for a long time to get my ass in gear and actually hook it up

When we were there for 6 days it went out 3 times for long periods, maybe a bad week?!

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
When we were there for 6 days it went out 3 times for long periods, maybe a bad week?!

Could of been the work they are doing - I used to live the other side of the city and it was out almost everyday. So I am not complaining! I think the last time the power went off was about three weeks ago... no joke