question cell phone

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
i wanted to order a cell phone from China but i get confused by all the technical details and i don't understand if it
frequency would be supported here and in the US.
Would it work here with these specifications?:
2G:GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz & 3G?WCDMA 850/2100 MHz (Dont support 4G internet service ,and dont support CDMA networking )

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Make sure it has a SIM card. You need to be able to put in a SIM card. I think claro only has 3G here. That is what shows up on my iPhone. It never shows 4g or LTE. The phones that work here from the USA are AT&T and Tmobile that are unlocked. I don't think Verizon works here because there is no sim card. Verizon is a CDMA phone.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I ordered a china made phone and delivered it to Canada. It is a galaxy 3 copy. It works fine except it takes a while to charge and doesn't last long. I gave it to the wife and she loves it. Cost me 199 Canadian, free shipping to Canada.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
I ordered a china made phone and delivered it to Canada. It is a galaxy 3 copy. It works fine except it takes a while to charge and doesn't last long. I gave it to the wife and she loves it. Cost me 199 Canadian, free shipping to Canada.

i almost got that kind, its an unblocked phone and looks exactly like the samsung galaxy s3 just doesnt say samsung in the back and its with android. is the softwear look the same as samsung do you know? i saw it at 149 in a electronic store here in montreal canada, i was thinking on getting but. now you say charging and life time issue... hummm

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
i almost got that kind, its an unblocked phone and looks exactly like the samsung galaxy s3 just doesnt say samsung in the back and its with android. is the softwear look the same as samsung do you know? i saw it at 149 in a electronic store here in montreal canada, i was thinking on getting but. now you say charging and life time issue... hummm

Looks and feels just like Samsung. Same apps and all. Even came with an extra battery.

Aug 6, 2006
Looks and feels just like Samsung. Same apps and all. Even came with an extra battery.
==========================================
Samsung designs cellphones and brands them, but it leaves the manufacturing to Chinese subcontractors. So there is a good chance that it was made by the same people than made Samsung phones in the same factory, but there is no guarantee.

Is it a GSM phone? You can tell because GSM phones have one or more SIM cards

Pablo29

Mar 23, 2013
i wanted to order a cell phone from China but i get confused by all the technical details and i don't understand if it
frequency would be supported here and in the US.
Would it work here with these specifications?:
2G:GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz & 3G?WCDMA 850/2100 MHz (Dont support 4G internet service ,and dont support CDMA networking )

That should work with no problem.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
they have sim cards that fit iphones and I am sure they sell any sim card needed to fit any phone that they sell

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Huh... that's a Note 3 clone. Nice. I was thinking of getting one locally, but this is half the price.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
It should work here but check 2 things before you order it. First make sure it has a SIM card. Second check if it is a unlocked phone. If it is great, if not check the web sites to be sure you can buy a unlock code for it.

s1mpleton

Dec 24, 2013
My understanding from all the research i did before i arrived in december.
GSM is the way to go. not much 3g coverage but it is available, no 4g yet but they are working on it.

if you need a nano sim, most phone dealers will have a cutter that will cut down a standard sim to that size.

phone must be unlocked, if it isnt there are several places (1 inside linares in Caberete) that will unlock them for a fee. the fee for my "nexus 4" was RD$1400.

there are cdma networks available but they are not very reliable on coverage or speed, and from my understanding are also more costly.

here in Caberete and most of the north coast the orange network has the best coverage i have seen, i have a cheap viva pocket phone, i lose coverage all the time.

hope this helps.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
claro has sim cards for iPhone 5. but not ever claro place has them. not sure about now but we had to go to the main claro in puertio plata for the correct sim card. cutting the sim card works but you might have problems. claro seems to work pretty good. i add my minutes then decide how much 3g i want. then you can buy the 3g from your phone. of course when possible use free wifi. depends on how much you surf, youtube, etc.

i really don't call a lot of people. i used it a lot more for the internet, pictures, games. i wish the next iPhone would have spots for two sims cards. i can use iMessage on my iPhone but it shows with the dominican number. but i send a lot of iMessages because they are free just need the data plan or wifi. viber, bmm, etc are good but most my friends in the usa don't us them.

i like iMessage a lot and continue my conversation from my other apple products. FaceTime and FaceTime audio or also nice.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
Umm there's some bad info being written here.

That'll work for calls and 2G internet, but looking at the supported bands, you may run into problems if you want normal 3G internet. I wouldn't buy it if you plan on using 3G.