brita water filter?safe?

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
hello, lately on tv ive been seeing the add for the brita water filter add.

the one you screw onto the fauset. and also the regular pitcher one.

here in canada i drink the water from the tap or use the brita but i was wondering if this would accually filter DR water???

the add says something like fresh water anywhere any time........ anywhere???DR???

anyone use it ?

Aug 6, 2006
I think a Brita filter removes the minerals and the chlorine. I do not think that it can be trusted to remove e. coli bacteria, amoebas and other unhealthful organisms. Perhaps someone here has actual experience with this that can tell you what is filtered out. Some organisms are too small to be trapped by a filter.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
I think a Brita filter removes the minerals and the chlorine. I do not think that it can be trusted to remove e. coli bacteria, amoebas and other unhealthful organisms. Perhaps someone here has actual experience with this that can tell you what is filtered out. Some organisms are too small to be trapped by a filter.

thats what i was thinking. i guess their slogan(fresh water anytime) is aiming north american countries with close to no water issues. wouldnt be the same if they made an add for DR

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
The britta and all small point of use filters are specifically used for taste and odor. When they claim to REDUCE lead and inorganacs from the water , they are specifically talking about the chemicals like THM, that are associated with chlorinating water.

If you're looking to make your cistern water or supplied water, I would suggest a duel filtration system followed by a UV light and a post CARBON BLOCK filter with a 5 micron rating.

Hope this helps..

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You can get filters made in the DR for purifying water. They use a semi-porous terra cotta cone inserted inside a five gallon bucket that has been infused with silver particles. The silver kills bacteria and viruses. I think they are about $30 and will last for years:

FilterPure Filters OR Filter Pure Filters provide save water for the underserved. Non-Profit Organization
We have one for the dogs and it works great! Ours is 5 years old now.

Once in a while we'll use the water for human consumption.

Solid investment.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
thanks everyone, ill look into that i drink alot of water about 1 gallon a day and so far dasani and planeta azul are fine for me. but it cost alot and a weast for all those plastic bottles, ill look into getting a filter and trying out less expensive water and see how my tummy takes it.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
thanks everyone, ill look into that i drink alot of water about 1 gallon a day and so far dasani and planeta azul are fine for me. but it cost alot and a weast for all those plastic bottles, ill look into getting a filter and trying out less expensive water and see how my tummy takes it.

If you really want to be sure about the water you drink, cook with, and make ice with is top quality and safe, then check online for a small undersink reverse osmosis unit. They make between 24 and 36 gallons a day (24hrs) and store 3.2 gallons in a small pressurized tank with a small third faucet for despensing. Note that there are systems for chlorinated and non chlorinated water. Cost less than 200.00 these are the same systems that are used in bottling water for sale. Just smaller.