I Need Some Good Ice Cream Recipes

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We love ice cream but it's expensive and inconvenient to get some at an ice cream store.

I've got a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker like this:

cuisinart20ice.jpg

Seems every recipe we try either is too thin & icy (like weak ice milk) or the milk fat congeals into little blobs by themselves and doesn't spread around.

Anyone have a good ice cream recipe made from locally available ingredients* that comes out nice and creamy?

I'm all ears...

*I DID get Mom CB to send down real honest-to-God- vanilla beans, so I'm off to a good start.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
girl at work made bacon ice cream. i didnt have the guts to try it out but look online lots of comments on how its amazing

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Chocolate:

3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
3 cups milk
1.5 cups sugar
3 Tbsp flour
.5 Tsp salt
2.5 eggs, slightly beaten
3 cups heavy cream
1.25 Tsp vanilla

Scald milk over low heat. Stir in melted chocolate. Combine sugar, flour, salt in a bowl, add eggs and mix well. Pour hot milk mixture carefully stirring constantly. Cook over low heat until mixture coats a spoon. Chill in refrigerator. Stir in cream and vanilla before adding to ice cream maker.

Vanilla:

3 eggs
1.5 cups sugar
3 cups milk
3 cups heavy cream
3 Tsp vanilla
.25 Tsp salt

Add sugar gradually to beaten eggs. Continue to beat until mixture is very stiff. Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add to ice cream maker and follow directions.

Both make 2.5 quarts

The vanilla is vanilla extract. Not sure how you deal with vanilla beans. I should have saved the label but there was an excellent Dominican vanilla I used to get. I'll search the archives

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Chocolate:

3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
3 cups milk
1.5 cups sugar
3 Tbsp flour
.5 Tsp salt
2.5 eggs, slightly beaten
3 cups heavy cream
1.25 Tsp vanilla

Scald milk over low heat. Stir in melted chocolate. Combine sugar, flour, salt in a bowl, add eggs and mix well. Pour hot milk mixture carefully stirring constantly. Cook over low heat until mixture coats a spoon. Chill in refrigerator. Stir in cream and vanilla before adding to ice cream maker.

Vanilla:

3 eggs
1.5 cups sugar
3 cups milk
3 cups heavy cream
3 Tsp vanilla
.25 Tsp salt

Add sugar gradually to beaten eggs. Continue to beat until mixture is very stiff. Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add to ice cream maker and follow directions.

Both make 2.5 quarts
Have you tried these yourself?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
For the chocolate ice cream: 2.5 eggs? That's a weird measurement, first time I've come across it.:)

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
For the chocolate ice cream: 2.5 eggs? That's a weird measurement, first time I've come across it.:)

I know, the recipe is for 4 qt and for 2.5 qt. I think I've always followed the 4 qt recipe, but I figured from CB's picture that it would be too much.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Here's one that I was gonna try ... but I haven't made it yet. (Not sure how it would be made in the machine though, since I don't have one.)

[video=youtube;AMMECm7Huhk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMMECm7Huhk[/video]

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Here's one that I was gonna try ... but I haven't made it yet. (Not sure how it would be made in the machine though, since I don't have one.)

[video=youtube;AMMECm7Huhk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMMECm7Huhk[/video]
Nice!!!

I see what he did: whipping cream AND condensed milk...THEN whip it.

Thanks!

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I've tried the condensed milk thing and I thought it was terrible , way to sweet. back in the US I made rum raisin many times , it came out excellent , I never used milk always 100% heavy cream .You have to have 24/7 power to keep ice cream or you will get ice crystals .

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I've tried the condensed milk thing and I thought it was terrible , way to sweet. back in the US I made rum raisin many times , it came out excellent , I never used milk always 100% heavy cream .You have to have 24/7 power to keep ice cream or you will get ice crystals .
If you use condensed milk, don't add sugar...or combine the ingredients and add simple syrup until it reaches the sweetness you want.

I like the beating thing to add air to the mixture. Maybe that's what has been lacking. I'll know tonight, because I'm gonna give that recipe a go.

May 29, 2006
I'd start with a badita de lechosha recipe without the ice and some heavy cream added in. As for ice crystals, I don't think you're churning it long enough or not enough sugar to prevent large crystals. Try to get all of your ingredients as close to freezing point before starting along with putting the chamber in the freezer first. Ice cream should have a melt-freeze point of 4?F. Put your mix into a blender first to add air before churning.

Don't know that maker, but I'd be leery of anything that churns at room temp. See if you can put the whole thing in the fridge while it's running. When you hand churn, you crank *until your arm falls off* and it's too hard to turn. With a motor, they don't want to burn it out when it starts to firm up.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'd start with a badita de lechosha recipe without the ice and some heavy cream added in. As for ice crystals, I don't think you're churning it long enough. Try to get all of your ingredients as close to freezing point before starting along with putting the chamber in the freezer first.

Don't know that maker, but I'd be leery of anything that churns at room temp. See if you can put the whole thing in the fridge while it's running. When you hand churn, you crank *until your arm falls off* and it's too hard to turn. With a motor, they don't want to burn it out when it starts to firm up.
The tub on my machine is filled with a liquid that freezes. You put the empty tub in the freezer to freeze it first. The base has the motor. You put the tub on the base, put a plastic scraper inside, put the clear cover on (that anchors the plastic scrapers), add the ice cream mixture, and the tub turns, freezing the liquid on the sides while the scrapers take it off and smoosh it inside.

I do cool my fridge/freezer down a lot to cool the liquid and deep freeze the tub.

It makes 1.5qt. of ice cream.

May 29, 2006
I think the issue is the coolant is only going to get as cold as your freezer and then you're in a losing battle to freeze the mix properly. If you can put the whole thing into the freezer while it runs, I think you'll have better results. Do you know what temp your freezer is? Should be at most 0?-5? for ice cream.

The last time I made ice cream, I did it by hand. One bowl inside another with salt and ice in it. It was a lot of work using just a whisk, but it came out great. Coffee/Banana with Walnuts.

ramy

Dec 16, 2007

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I think the issue is the coolant is only going to get as cold as your freezer and then you're in a losing battle to freeze the mix properly. If you can put the whole thing into the freezer while it runs, I think you'll have better results. Do you know what temp your freezer is? Should be at most 0?-5? for ice cream.
I don't have enough room in my freezer to put the machine, then I'd have to run the power cord out.

I don't know the temp of the freezer. It can get cold, so cold that my fingers stick to the tub when frozen. Maybe too cold, I don't know.

If I keep the freezer at modest freeze (to conserve power) the tub won't get cold enough to freeze the mixture. When I crank the freezer down, it'll freeze the mixture fairly quickly.

The problem has been the mixture, IMO, the amount of milk fat in it. Too little, the ice cream isn't creamy...just hard and frozen milk-like. Too much, and the milk fat coagulates into blobs. Boiling the mixture and then cooling it in the froidge doesn't help if there is too much fat.

I like the idea of the whipping cream & condensed milk...then whipping it, adding some air. So far every mixture I've tried has been a liquid, not fluffy whipped. I'll try that and see how it does.

May 29, 2006
I usually make chocolate mousse now. I use a pint of whipping(not heavy) cream to a half bag(6z) of choc chips. The trick is to melt the choc to just above melting point add about a quarter of the whipped cream into it to thin it, then fold it carefully back into the whipped cream to make the mousse. If you have a Kitchen Aide, it's very easy. I also add some Triple sec to the mix for more flavor. I can make that for 80 people in about 20 minutes with a big enough mixer.

May 29, 2006
I think the only difference is whipping cream has a small amount of agar(?) in it as a thickening agent. You can use regular heavy cream to make whipped cream but it takes longer and deflates more easily. If you add powdered sugar instead of table sugar, it can help thicken it too since it is usually part corn starch as an anti clumping agent.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I think the only difference is whipping cream has a small amount of agar(?) in it as a thickening agent. You can use regular heavy cream to make whipped cream but it takes longer and deflates more easily. If you add powdered sugar instead of table sugar, it can help thicken it too since it is usually part corn starch as an anti clumping agent.
Interesting. Powdered sugar.

I have to say that cooking with "crema"...raw sugar...is a challenge. It doesn't "behave" like processed sugar...