Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I Need Some Good Ice Cream Recipes

We love ice cream but it's expensive and inconvenient to get some at an ice cream store.

I've got a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker like this:

Seems every recipe we try either is too thin & icy (like weak ice milk) or the milk fat congeals into little blobs by themselves and doesn't spread around.

Anyone have a good ice cream recipe made from locally available ingredients* that comes out nice and creamy?

I'm all ears...

*I DID get Mom CB to send down real honest-to-God- vanilla beans, so I'm off to a good start.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

girl at work made bacon ice cream. i didnt have the guts to try it out but look online lots of comments on how its amazing

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Chocolate:

3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
    3 cups milk
    1.5 cups sugar
    3 Tbsp flour
    .5 Tsp salt
    2.5 eggs, slightly beaten
    3 cups heavy cream
    1.25 Tsp vanilla

Scald milk over low heat. Stir in melted chocolate. Combine sugar, flour, salt in a bowl, add eggs and mix well. Pour hot milk mixture carefully stirring constantly. Cook over low heat until mixture coats a spoon. Chill in refrigerator. Stir in cream and vanilla before adding to ice cream maker.

Vanilla:

3 eggs
    1.5 cups sugar
    3 cups milk
    3 cups heavy cream
    3 Tsp vanilla
    .25 Tsp salt

Add sugar gradually to beaten eggs. Continue to beat until mixture is very stiff. Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add to ice cream maker and follow directions.

Both make 2.5 quarts

The vanilla is vanilla extract. Not sure how you deal with vanilla beans. I should have saved the label but there was an excellent Dominican vanilla I used to get. I'll search the archives

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobrouser View Post
    Chocolate:

3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
    3 cups milk
    1.5 cups sugar
    3 Tbsp flour
    .5 Tsp salt
    2.5 eggs, slightly beaten
    3 cups heavy cream
    1.25 Tsp vanilla

Scald milk over low heat. Stir in melted chocolate. Combine sugar, flour, salt in a bowl, add eggs and mix well. Pour hot milk mixture carefully stirring constantly. Cook over low heat until mixture coats a spoon. Chill in refrigerator. Stir in cream and vanilla before adding to ice cream maker.

Vanilla:

3 eggs
    1.5 cups sugar
    3 cups milk
    3 cups heavy cream
    3 Tsp vanilla
    .25 Tsp salt

Add sugar gradually to beaten eggs. Continue to beat until mixture is very stiff. Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add to ice cream maker and follow directions.

Both make 2.5 quarts
    Have you tried these yourself?
    Cabin Attendant,

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

For the chocolate ice cream: 2.5 eggs? That's a weird measurement, first time I've come across it.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Have you tried these yourself?
    Yes they are from the original 1960's type of hand turned ice cream maker where you pack ice and salt around the container and then churn for 15-20 minutes. Got an electric maker and used them in that as well.

http://dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/...tml#post270854 - see the post for vanilla.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bronzeallspice View Post
    For the chocolate ice cream: 2.5 eggs? That's a weird measurement, first time I've come across it.
    I know, the recipe is for 4 qt and for 2.5 qt. I think I've always followed the 4 qt recipe, but I figured from CB's picture that it would be too much.

8. Likes bronzeallspice liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's one that I was gonna try ... but I haven't made it yet. (Not sure how it would be made in the machine though, since I don't have one.)

10. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Major448 View Post
    Here's one that I was gonna try ... but I haven't made it yet. (Not sure how it would be made in the machine though, since I don't have one.)

Nice!!!

I see what he did: whipping cream AND condensed milk...THEN whip it.

Thanks!
    Cabin Attendant,

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I've tried the condensed milk thing and I thought it was terrible , way to sweet. back in the US I made rum raisin many times , it came out excellent , I never used milk always 100% heavy cream .You have to have 24/7 power to keep ice cream or you will get ice crystals .

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast