Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default by what type of insect i have been bitten?

it most be a dominican because this is the 2nd time it happened to me within 2 months.

i don't know what bit me (must have been in my sleep) but the spot of the bite turns hard as rock and if you touch it it is very painful.

1st one was (and here it comes) on my ass, so so sitting was a painful process for like week.

2nd one (which i have now) is under my armpit.

at a certain moment it just pops open and you have pus coming out of it and then you can squeeze it for lots of blood to come out of it. but the squeezing part can take up to 3 days and then everything is normal again.

this time i have like a rock under my armpit the size of a 10 peso coin in diameters.

anyone?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you probably have got a staph infection. It starts from a bite which is just a normal mosquito bite, but this gets infected usually by dirty water, and then you get staph in your system. It moved around your body and tends to spread to areas where you sweat, so you get them on your butt, armpits and other sweaty areas. It's called carbunculosis I think when you get this.

You need to get to a skin clinic to get it checked out to be honest. If it is staph, then you need to use cefalaxine and you need to be super careful with what water you wash with (when I had this I washed with bottled drinking water and a medicated shampoo).

But definitely get it checked.

3. Likes toriemannetje, Mita, kampinge liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You may have BOILS, read these articles and see if the signs and symptoms are what you have:

Boils: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Painful Underarm Pimples (Boils) Causes, Treatments and Prevention - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

5. Likes toriemannetje liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

boils/staph would make sense given the location of both infections. i would check it with a dermatologo.

7. Likes bronzeallspice liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it sounds like boils. May have orginated in a spider bite but most likely from a general cleanliness issue.

I have had them here and also camping in the States. Absence of hot water for showering and staying in swim suits too long seemed to be contributing factors.

You need to shower here two, and three times a day.. and turn on hot water for showers if you have them.

You also need to go to see the local doctor.

If you are in an apartment; go dump Chlorox in your tinanco.. (others will chime in with this)

If you are in a hotel, check out and find another,

If you in Las Terrenas by the beach, find a place on the hill since many of the sewers were built by the wells. This may be the case for other beach communities as well but I do not know for sure.,

Wear cotton T shirts to bed.

Change clothes often.

You will need antibiotics probably both cream and oral.

I do not understand why folks seem to be so willing to pay $1000 peso for hookers and not for doctors.

Despite some of the postings to the contrary, the doctors.. particularly in the beach communities, are VERY well trained and equipped to deal with the issues that confront their residents.

Go to the doctor.

It really is not about the spider.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, for men, take up the Polynesian habit of wearing pareos around your waist at home and give those nether parts a chance to breathe.

Also, if you live here full time, invest in both a good mattress pad, and good 300 thread count cotton sheets.. polyester does not breath..

Make sure that whomever is washing them is Correctly measuring the soap (this is tough one.. more soap, more clean, no?) and have her (or him, or diy) run them through the rinse cycle twice a couple of times to make sure that soap is out.

Make sure that laundry is being done in a good laundry detergent.. and not "1 2 3 .. or Acer...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

ha ha ha, MA, loved your post. so much truth in it

seriously, one of the more popular issues we dealt with in the pharmacy were skin related. dominicans are not dirty people themselves but their environment is. the water is often dirty and contaminated and the living and/or conditions can be really dreadful. add to this humidity, heat and sweating... no bueno.

*** I love DR1 ***
    Post Thanks / Like

torie. The only way for you to be diagnosed and treated correctly is to see a Physician. You can not be diagnosed via the Internet. Go to the Doctor Sir.

12. Likes Harleysrock, TropicalPaul, Ken liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pauleast View Post
    torie. The only way for you to be diagnosed and treated correctly is to see a Physician. You can not be diagnosed via the Internet. Go to the Doctor Sir.
    I don't know, I have learned a lot from google and probably could do a better job than most Dr's here...

14. Likes toriemannetje, bronzeallspice liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

you tend to read that doctors from time to time miss inform people and when it comes to this country and my ability to explain my situation in spanish???

also i am so stubborn when it comes to going to a doctor, what i have isn't a matter of life and death. it's now under my armpit and it's uncomfortable when i sleep but i don't cough blood or anything.

i was just wondering if there is a type of insect that affects this so i could by the right type of anti bug spray.

when it comes down to water, i have always been drinking water out of bottles and i abuse hot water so what is being told about water doesn't add up for me.

the one thing about the bed / sheets could be it cos thinking about it, i moved 2 months ago and in these 2 months it happened to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast