Tamarind seeds

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
My local guy selling fruit and veg off a camioneta is now offering packets of tamarind seeds. They are about the size of a peanut, slightly flattened and a shiny (moist?) golden brown.

I have seen them in La Sirena too, but there they are very dark blue/gray. Have these already been prepared in some way? I know only one variety of tamarind exists, so that cannot explain the difference.

I know about eating the flesh of tamarind but how are these seeds used? I like to try local products but cannot afford stomach problems.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My local guy selling fruit and veg off a camioneta is now offering packets of tamarind seeds. They are about the size of a peanut, slightly flattened and a shiny (moist?) golden brown.

I have seen them in La Sirena too, but there they are very dark blue/gray. Have these already been prepared in some way? I know only one variety of tamarind exists, so that cannot explain the difference.

I know about eating the flesh of tamarind but how are these seeds used? I like to try local products but cannot afford stomach problems.

what you are seeing is the flesh of the tamarind, after having been removed from the shell. the seeds are useless for consumption. what you need to do is to get the flesh seperated from the seed.

as far as stomach problems go; as long as they have been handled in a sanitary manner, you should have none.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
This is the first time I ever heard of tamarind seeds for sale(?) off of a camioneta.
There are tamarind trees growing in a lot of backyards that I would not think it
necessary to buy them. Neighbors will freely offer the fruits(seeds) to anyone to replant.

I'm also intrigued.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
what you are seeing is the flesh of the tamarind, after having been removed from the shell. the seeds are useless for consumption. what you need to do is to get the flesh seperated from the seed.

as far as stomach problems go; as long as they have been handled in a sanitary manner, you should have none.

I thought he meant just the shiny seeds without the fleshy covering.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Read his post again.:D The seeds are sold in a packet and they are "shiny" (moist)
that is how they look when the fleshy covering is removed.

you mean the actual seeds? i will be there tomorrow, and will check for myself...sounds odd. all you can do with those is plant them.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
you mean the actual seeds? i will be there tomorrow, and will check for myself...sounds odd. all you can do with those is plant them.

Yes, I am curious myself as to why he would be selling them. The OP says that he's aware of eating the fleshy covering but what are the seeds used for.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
i'll be darned..

On second thought. I can buy the tamarind here in the states. It does say that it's
very hard and crunchy. Strange, no one that I know of, family or friends, had ever
mentioned this or made it. Must be regional.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Well, it looks like tamarind seeds can be roasted! Surprise! Now this I have got to try on my next trip to the DR.:)

Ruchi Ruchi Aduge: Pulinkote / Roasted Tamarind Seeds
Yes, that is what they look like. So the answer is, roast them?

I cannot afford to lose any more teeth. Lost my first in a hockey game and second in a fist fight at school. And lost another here in the DR on what looked like a metal engineering nut in a packet of cereal. Back home I could have sued for thousands but here they would probably charge me extra for the mineral supplement.

Thanks to all who responded!

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Yes, that is what they look like. So the answer is, roast them?

I cannot afford to lose any more teeth. Lost my first in a hockey game and second in a fist fight at school. And lost another here in the DR on what looked like a metal engineering nut in a packet of cereal. Back home I could have sued for thousands but here they would probably charge me extra for the mineral supplement.

Thanks to all who responded!

Yes, roast the seeds and give it a try. If too hard and crunchy, throw them out!:)