why i love honest dominicans

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
i have been coming here for about 10 years now and i love the people. it also seems the poorer the better they are. case in point i have a lady who does my laundry out of a typical 3 room house with probably 6 people living in it. i went to pick up my laundry and she takes a pair of shorts out and shows me 500 peso bill that i left in then. my whole laundry onlycost 500 peso . that is heartwarming honesty so i gave her another 100 pesos and a kiss . she has to be 70 yrs old and we laughed . i lovethe people

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
That an old trick the locals know about for a very long time. Try a different location and then come back and tell us how it went?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
We had a maid that got mad at my wife , for her (my wife) dropping 2000 pesos on the ground in the bedroom. She gave my wife the 2000 pesos bill and said that she didn't like those tricks (my wife actually dropped it by accident), and that she would never touch something that's not hers. Next day she didn't come back. And I lost my watch.

Some days later my wife calls her to find out about my watch. Al offensive she said she remembered clearly my watch and that she had placed it on our bed. My wife told her that we hadn't found it anywhere but also to come and pick up the money we still owed her. She said: no, bring it to the agency that you used to hire me. My wife said: no, come and pick it up here. Se said that she would leave it like that then, since it was 'only' 1500 pesos.

I'm still wondering where my watch is

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
glomed you are a sick puppy . i was being nice and gorgon if she was 17 she,s still jailbait but i know that doesn,t mean much down here.i just love the people. i walk everyday sometimes thru the "barrio" down by isla bon and i put a smile on my face bring food for the lost dogs and everybody is happy and friendly even if they live in a 1 room shack.
love the people

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
glomed you are a sick puppy . i was being nice and gorgon if she was 17 she,s still jailbait but i know that doesn,t mean much down here.i just love the people. i walk everyday sometimes thru the "barrio" down by isla bon and i put a smile on my face bring food for the lost dogs and everybody is happy and friendly even if they live in a 1 room shack.
love the people

please do not misinterpret what i meant. frank rightly stated that the morality issue might be a generational thing, and i merely used the numbers for emphasis. i myself find the older people here to be far more honest and trustworthy than the youngsters, whom i would not trust farther than i can throw them.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
let me give you a little sociology lesson, which i hope will save you from bad judgement in the future. these dudes are sharper than you give them credit for being. i play dominoes regularly with a group of guys. one day, one of them asked me to loan him 100 pesos. what the heck..if he stiffs me, so what? well, he gave it back on the date promised. on a few other occasions, he does the same thing. now i begin to think the guy is righteous. so, about 6 weeks ago, her tells me he needs a nickel. well, he had shown good credit history, so why not?

long story short; i see him every other day, at the very least, and the subject of my 500 pesos seems long forgotten. am i going to sue him for that? of course not; and he knows it!

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I can just see where this thread is going to go, lots of people who live in gated communities and spend all day on DR1 talking to expats are going to say how terrible Dominicans are and how they steal everything from everyone. And those of us who live with Dominicans, speak Spanish and employ and work with them are going to say it's complete BS and that there are a great deal of people here who are honest and hardworking and don't steal. And in many cases people only steal because they are desperate because it is still a very poor country. Move on...

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I can just see where this thread is going to go, lots of people who live in gated communities and spend all day on DR1 talking to expats are going to say how terrible Dominicans are and how they steal everything from everyone. And those of us who live with Dominicans, speak Spanish and employ and work with them are going to say it's complete BS and that there are a great deal of people here who are honest and hardworking and don't steal. And in many cases people only steal because they are desperate because it is still a very poor country. Move on...

Not true at all. Many of us who have been here for years have this attitude because we have been burned one too many times. Rich or poor it doesn't matter, everyone is capable of the same thing. And regardless of where you think this thread is going it is always nice to hear a story like the OP's.

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
hey gorgon. you are probably right about the generational gap as i see the priveleged on the beach in cabarete who are the younger generation as feeling the world owes them. i meet the people with a smile and thats all as i don,t even speak spanish but i say hola and smile. if i bring a smile to somebody else or can feed a hungry dog that makes my day.
hope all have a great day

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
hey gorgon. you are probably right about the generational gap as i see the priveleged on the beach in cabarete who are the younger generation as feeling the world owes them. i meet the people with a smile and thats all as i don,t even speak spanish but i say hola and smile. if i bring a smile to somebody else or can feed a hungry dog that makes my day.
hope all have a great day

the same to you, jfk-tampa. i think that the generational morality decline can be evidenced in just about every society on the planet that has come into contact with ubermaterialism. maybe some isolated tribes in the Andes might have preserved their morality.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I tend to love honest people regardless of where they from (honesty is not based on income either, the poorer the better is BS,imho)
I just love people.
:)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Oh, I forgot to add...May be it s just me, but I would be uncomfortable having a 70 yr old clean my house. I would hire her honest grand-daughter :rolleyes:

Love u too the gorgon :) !

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I'd prefer to put an older lady to work, it's more difficult for her to get work and furthermore she won't get knocked up by a tigrue or bring a tigrue's problems to my home ;)

I understand your point Franky...But 70 ??!! Something less physical like cooking but cleaning no.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The lady of the OP is doing laundry from her own house. She might even have help from relatives.