Dual Citizenship for a baby....

tavarez1982

Jun 29, 2012
Hi,

Could really do with some advise as I have heard a lot of rumors...

I am British, my partner is Dominican... I am pregnant:classic: and it is very important to me that my baby has dual citizenship.

Does anyone know the procedure to register my babies birth her to guarantee they have British and Dominican citizenship?

Thanks in advance for your help and advise.

georgig

Jul 25, 2010
Hi,
If you are legal in the DR /resident/ you will have to declare this fact at the hospital. They will issue the relative document and you will apply with it to the Junta Electoral for Dominican citizenship of the baby. If not - the baby will be declared as extranjero with Dominican birth certificate.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If one of the parents is Dominican the baby will be automatically registered as Dominican

But we need to know where are you and where do you plan to give birth, in the UK or in the DR?

If you are in the DR, you go through the normal process for registering the baby as the son/daughter of a Dominican. Then you need to go through the process of registering a birth abroad. The UK Embassy website has the information https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

If you are in the UK, you go through the normal British registration process and for the Dominican registration, first declare the birth at the Dominican Embassy in London and when you are next in the DR complete the registration process at the JCE.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Yes, Chirimoya is correct, I did the same thing and it worked, my daughter is now US Citizienship cuz of this process, its great!

tavarez1982

Jun 29, 2012
If one of the parents is Dominican the baby will be automatically registered as Dominican

But we need to know where are you and where do you plan to give birth, in the UK or in the DR?

If you are in the DR, you go through the normal process for registering the baby as the son/daughter of a Dominican. Then you need to go through the process of registering a birth abroad. The UK Embassy website has the information https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

If you are in the UK, you go through the normal British registration process and for the Dominican registration, first declare the birth at the Dominican Embassy in London and when you are next in the DR complete the registration process at the JCE.

Thank you for the detailed information and putting my mind at rest...

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
What a coincidence!

I registered the birth of my twins at the British embassy today! Although for us, it's the other way around. I'm the father and British and the mother is Dominican.

I took all the original papers, translations and copies to the embassy. It took almost an hour and a half to go through them all to make sure everything was in order. Eventually they took payment from my bank card (USD580) and gave me back all the original documents. In about three months time I should receive their British birth certificates in the post to my Miami PO Box.

Incidentally, the charge of $580 was for both registrations and a copy of the birth certificate posted out. So for just the one it's $290.

Congratulations by the way!

tavarez1982

Jun 29, 2012
What a coincidence!

I registered the birth of my twins at the British embassy today! Although for us, it's the other way around. I'm the father and British and the mother is Dominican.

I took all the original papers, translations and copies to the embassy. It took almost an hour and a half to go through them all to make sure everything was in order. Eventually they took payment from my bank card (USD580) and gave me back all the original documents. In about three months time I should receive their British birth certificates in the post to my Miami PO Box.

Incidentally, the charge of $580 was for both registrations and a copy of the birth certificate posted out. So for just the one it's $290.

Congratulations by the way!

Thank you!

And congratulations to you too....