stealing ideas

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
from time to time i'm thinking about what type of company i should open / start here and if i actually could do it better than the competition. most of the time i posted it here also to get smacked back into reality! lol!

now i'm thinking backwards, i'm not thinking about what i could do here what i've learned from back home, i'm thinking about what could i take from here to back home!

i'm such a fiend for empenadas, they sell them from 25 pesos to 50 pesos what would be like ?0,50 to ?1,00

i remember in high school there was a smart dude always selling hamburgers, frikandellen & krokotten (dutch snack) and fries and whatever and every break people were lining up and if i can remember prices started from ?1,50

sometimes i'm just thinking about being the mac donalds of the netherlands when it comes to empenadas and i know it will work! (empenadas are close to what we have, pastei, and it's very popular but also very small, so something like that in a bigger version??)

what ideas you'ld like to steal and bring back home?

(if you're from canada and you're gonna live here forever, please just play along and let us know what you would do)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My wife 'introduced' empanadas in my family when we lived there. One of my sisters still makes them regularly and everybody likes them a lot.

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
On MIami beach at 84th and Collins there one day opened a new shop named Only Empanadas. They had huge 9 inch empanas the size of a pie folded over, but inside was only air and a bit of whatever in one corner. For instance I boght a pepperoni one and there were three slices of pepperoni. Everyone soon started to call it the empty nada store. It was closed within 90 days.
Der Fish

ahahahaha, wow! naaah, you need to play it fair and fill it! even tho it's just an idea that's sitting in my head, 1 day i will ask around what it takes to prepare it and the costs of it.

because my idea is to make them all at home (one day in a big ware house, lol) and then let the drivers to pick them up, you sell them till they are done. you don't loose money on renting a location and all that, just a truck and a seller.

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
I like the motoconcho idea, lol!! I would love to see them racing in and out of the streets of Canada...

this is actually a good idea, in the netherlands especially in amsterdam there is a lot of traffic, it could be a great thing for the innercities here (during rush hours)

torontiago

Dec 14, 2013
from time to time i'm thinking about what type of company i should open / start here and if i actually could do it better than the competition. most of the time i posted it here also to get smacked back into reality! lol!

now i'm thinking backwards, i'm not thinking about what i could do here what i've learned from back home, i'm thinking about what could i take from here to back home!

i'm such a fiend for empenadas, they sell them from 25 pesos to 50 pesos what would be like ?0,50 to ?1,00

i remember in high school there was a smart dude always selling hamburgers, frikandellen & krokotten (dutch snack) and fries and whatever and every break people were lining up and if i can remember prices started from ?1,50

sometimes i'm just thinking about being the mac donalds of the netherlands when it comes to empenadas and i know it will work! (empenadas are close to what we have, pastei, and it's very popular but also very small, so something like that in a bigger version??)

what ideas you'ld like to steal and bring back home?

(if you're from canada and you're gonna live here forever, please just play along and let us know what you would do)

I personally think a convenience/variety store (colmado) with delivery service would do well in a Canadian city.

Apr 7, 2014
On MIami beach at 84th and Collins there one day opened a new shop named Only Empanadas. They had huge 9 inch empanas the size of a pie folded over, but inside was only air and a bit of whatever in one corner. For instance I boght a pepperoni one and there were three slices of pepperoni. Everyone soon started to call it the empty nada store. It was closed within 90 days.
Der Fish

Come on now, there was more than air in there. It was 80% dough and 20% meat. People thought they were getting a big juicy meat pie when it was just greasy pie crust and a little glob off hamburger meat. See, that idea worked in Colombia or Panama where they came from, but that was street food there sold from a cart. They got a store front in Miami because they had seen someone sell those from a store front in Little Havana. But the clientele on Miami Beach and central city is waaay different. I think they probably folded because of the high rent versus worthless product. When or if they moved back to the Central City I bet they had some success(of course they were selling it to people who knew what it was, cheap street food). I used to get those and then I d have all these grease stains on my pocket.

Anything mobile is a good business idea. I like the mobile slaughterhouse concept myself.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Der Fish

those are known in Latin America as empanadas de viento, since the only thing inside is air.

Tim Smith

Apr 28, 2014
That's an interesting topic... Forgive me I am new to posting but have been here in the DR for a few years. I'd say think about what you enjoyed here that was offered that you don't have back home. I defer back to what I say to others when asked what I like about here... The delivery to your front door is one of the most unusual and talked about aspects of the DR. Only problem in other countries would be insurance for your delivery drivers. Empanada's may not make you rich and may not pay the bills. Whatever you take from here hard work brother is the key to success in any endeavour.

I've read many posts here now thru the time I have been here and may I say there is strength in numbers and information is power. Thanks to all of you that offer advice and opinions and for staying banded together here. Hard truth is not always what one wants to hear... The DR, like all countries, has the good, the bad and the ugly. Now that I have joined I will try and do my part in assistance and advice. I am sure I will be asking for some too. Good luck toriemannetje on your new adventure in empanada's!

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I think your empanada idea would certainly be worth trying. I am from Canada and I think a franchise that would work both here and in Canada would be a Greggs Sausage Roll stand. They are all over the place in northern England and they are fantastic. If any ex-brits read this they will either agree or want me shot but I still love them.

May 29, 2006
I really like the Car Wash/Disco combination. The whole place can be hosed down after busy nights and you can open it up when it gets hot inside.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
There are many Dominicanos throughout the Islands down here and a lot of them scratch out a living making empanadas and selling them. They get 3.00 each for them on St.John. They are the ones made from yucca and the fillings are always beef or chickin. A cute girl with a basket full of them hangs out at the ferry dock at Cruz Bay. There is a homade sign on the basket simply saying Empanadas $3.00. The tourists gobble them up.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There are many Dominicanos throughout the Islands down here and a lot of them scratch out a living making empanadas and selling them. They get 3.00 each for them on St.John. They are the ones made from yucca and the fillings are always beef or chickin. A cute girl with a basket full of them hangs out at the ferry dock at Cruz Bay. There is a homade sign on the basket simply saying Empanadas $3.00. The tourists gobble them up.

Dominicans scratch out a living making empanadas, because Dominican empanadas are fried junk which cannot be reheated tomorrow. sit tight. the empanada revolution is coming. you heard it here first. as you rightly state, tourists gobble up empanadas. so do regular locals, school and college kids, just about everybody. stand by for adventure.

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
Buy a couple of hot dog wagons that can be pulled behind a car. Sell empanadas. Hire pretty girls to sell them. Can't lose.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Pasteles are another food item that sell well outside of DR and PR, but are more expensive and labor intensive than empanadas.

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
I think your empanada idea would certainly be worth trying. I am from Canada and I think a franchise that would work both here and in Canada would be a Greggs Sausage Roll stand. They are all over the place in northern England and they are fantastic. If any ex-brits read this they will either agree or want me shot but I still love them.

sausage rolls are great & I miss them here

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
guys have tried to sell empanadas in the DR at the franchise level. basically, they have failed because Dominican empanadas taste like dog food. a great empanada is a business that cannot lose in Latin America. stand by, as i said.