Electric bill - la planta

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I live in a 24/7 power grid zone which means my electricity has only gone out 35 times in the last 4 weeks. Now when the power goes out it takes about 20 seconds for the building full planta to get up and running. Now when the planta is running I assume my electric meter is still spinning. If this is the case then I am paying Edeeste for electrical power they actually did not provide.

My question, I wonder if the building association gets some type of financial reimbursement from the electrical company?

Tim Smith

Apr 28, 2014
Not sure what to tell you bigbird but assume nothing and fact find all you can. I am from California where one of our governors sold our energy off, bought it back at a higher price and was recalled. When you know the transition happens go and look at your meter to see if it is running. Take a look at your lease/purchase agreement to see who is paying for the gap of power you are provided during the outage. Document everything and keep scanned copies of everything. You never know when they will be needed. If you have to prove a fraud records you keep will be your only hope for a fair outcome. Know that only you will protect you and your interests. Be sure you are paying for it one way or another.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
While it is illegal for the power company to cut power to a contracted customer, you are in the DR and you will not be able to sue them for damages. You will just have to live with the situation. Otherwise there would be about 8 million lawsuits agains the EDE's.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when the generator or inversor is on that means the street power is off and your meter is not running.

forget about suing CDEE, it's like suing a dead chicken for choking on a bone: guarantees you a bed in a lovely house with rubber walls and no doorknobs.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
when the generator or inversor is on that means the street power is off and your meter is not running.........
This may be true in a single family dwelling where the ATS (automatic transfer switch) can be installed after the metering device but in an apartment building there is only one ATS and it is installed ahead of the electric meters.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
This may be true in a single family dwelling where the ATS (automatic transfer switch) can be installed after the metering device but in an apartment building there is only one ATS and it is installed ahead of the electric meters.
That doesn't sound right. I've never heard of an apartment building where the meters are running when the generator is on and street power is 'off'.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
That doesn't sound right. I've never heard of an apartment building where the meters are running when the generator is on and street power is 'off'.
The building I am in that is how it is set up. They were doing some work in the electric room one day and I took a look inside. The ATS is wired in ahead of the meter bank. There are not individual ATSs after the meters for each apartment.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
20 years ago, I got a "Hot Shot" from the elecric company.
(Ultra HIGH Voltage" that fried some appliances, blew out light bubs, etc.
:Supposedly" you could contact the EDDES with a list of your "Fried" stuff, and they would compensate you for your loss, IF you could PROVE that they were at fault.
I tried, I was "Innocent" to the real DR back then, they determined that THEY were NOT AT Fault!
If not THEM, WHO, was sending high voltage surges into my house???
Today I would just agree with "dv", why bother, It "Ain't Gonna Happen"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Sitting in my living room, watching all the light bubs blow up WAS interesting!
To say the least.
The smell of burning electric motors, and TVs was NOT!!!!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Let me try to explain this a little better. The building I am in is less than three years old and has a planta for the entire building. Now I have seen this configuration in the USA and don't know if it works here. When the utility power goes out the emergency generator starts up. The ATS is in line ahead of the meter bank. The ATS switches over and power to the entire building is being provided by the emergency generator.

Now the trick to this method is each apartment meter continues to spin as if the utility company is providing the electric. The emergency generator has a meter connected and monitors how many kilowatt/hours the generator has provided for the month. Each tenant gets a bill for total electric used regardless of who provided it. Now the utility company pays to the building association an amount each month for the electric the emergency generator provided which is no big deal because they collect that cash from the tenants.

This is not your simple case of a one family house where the inversor or generator can be easily be installed after the metering device. So no need to hate the messenger when you don't understand the message.

It really is a simple and practical way to provide full power to multiple dwellings. The utility company loves it because they usually pay out at the lower kwh rate. The building association is in favor because they are at least getting some money coming in to cover the cost of running the generator, and tenants like myself love it because we are never no more that 20 seconds without power.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Sorry, forgot.......... What makes this set-up even sweeter is I have two small UPS so my flat screen TV, computers, modem, and router never, ever skip a beat.......

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
There is no proving a fraud or suing over electricity. This is the DR and it runs on fraud. Everyone steals from the gringos at every opportunity and its ok because they are rich. Most Dominicans are Robin Hood at heart.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
There is no proving a fraud or suing over electricity. This is the DR and it runs on fraud. Everyone steals from the gringos at every opportunity and its ok because they are rich. Most Dominicans are Robin Hood at heart.

Typical DR1 thread we got going on. Two different discussions with one having nothing to do with the other. My OP never mentioned fraud, suing or even gringos for that matter. I was simply talking about the building I live in which has at the most 1% gringo occupied, is well maintained, and to boot the unheard of someone in the design stage found a way to provide residents with close to a real 24/7 solution, with the exception of the 20 seconds downtime.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Robbin' Hoods

This is the DR and it runs on fraud. Everyone steals from the gringos at every opportunity and its ok because they are rich. Most Dominicans are Robin Hood at heart.

They steal electricity and thus rather are robbing hoods.... :rolleyes:

donP

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

@ kampinge and CCCCCCccccc

OK, maybe I should have said in some of the newer apartment buildings?

Signing out of this thread until I possibly see a response from someone who understands how a genset and ATS actually work. Maybe I will just go take a night time ride on the a/c Metro.................... LOL

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You're being an ass Bigbird. You are writing that it's not possible in multi dwelling environments the ATS is placed after the meters, that's nonsense. Standard practice in DR is that before the meter is Edesur, you do anything you like after the meter. In all appartment building I've lived or visited, there is a blackout, planta takes over, meters are not running. All tenants pay an equal share of the diesel used, so yes, unfair if you are not there or you only have one air conditioner and your neighbor six, but that's how it normally works.

In your building it might be a different setup, but Edesur / Norte / Este paying your building for the power the generator supplied? I doubt that. Too easy to tamper with. To me it sounds someone screwed up when installing the generator.

(Or you didn't look well when you peaked through the door)

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Forget about anything that got fried...I use to replace my own capacitors on my Computer after so many surges would fatten them up a bit, and losing 2 or 3 power supplies not to mention fridge damage etc...why bother, its never them!! So, I invested in a very good protector..Not only protects from such surges, but when the power does come back, it will delay the power for up to one minute which I can set from 10 seconds and up.. This is what I have Voltage Regulators Forza UPS United States

As for your meter working with no power, but is tied into the generator so it works, wtf??? Its a genius idea of the Power Company to do this, but that's BS! I would say total fraud and go after them for any bills charged if you can prove all of the times down and who consumed what..But again, this is the DR...I still can't digest after losing power so often, how in the world does my bill come in the same as if I had power 24/7...I have yet seen any graphs on my bill that states actual reading or estimated...However, and this is huge on your side, just like 5 on your side news channel...I have a very good contact at the cooperate level in Santo Domingo. She is the same person that when I got a 40,000 bill over 3 Months time, called her own people a bunch of scam artist and out right said, corruption for money...If you want her info PM me. At least you can advise her whats the new trick in town if your correct and please be sure your correct. This is a serious person and plays no games. Bottom line for me was, she sent 6 people to my home just 4 days later from my complaint. There were 3 techs, 2 supervisors and 1engineer...After their investigation, I only paid what was normal for me 1,500 or a tad more..whatever it was, it was around my normal usage, this was at my Puerto Plata Apartment..

PS The protector is sold at La Serina, got mine at the one in Santo Domingo by Bravo. think it was 2,500 or less..well worth it!

Anthony