Postal System in the DR

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
So, in a nutshell, what's the state of the postal system along the north coast of the DR.

Assuming I live in a building with a street address, what are the chances that mail can/will be delivered? Does one need to rent a post office box and go pick up mail?

Thx in advance.

May 12, 2005
Very-Cute-Asian-Baby-Laughing-Funny-Caption-Picture.jpg

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Good to see some of you using Google Translate - LOL

But to the OP - most of us on the north coast use someone like EPS which gives you a Florida mail box. Mail still takes time thought even using this method.
The Dominican Mail system does function after a fashion but we would not trust anything important to it - If you get a Mail Box at one of the Dominican Postal offices you stand a better chance of getting things. There is an office in Puerto Plata and one in Sosua . We are sure DV* can give the direction to the office in POP. In Sosua it is in the same Plaza as Edenorte office.

Our experience with Christmas Cards was even if posted in November they did not arrive until about March the following year if they arrived at all! Incoming mail to a street address is very variable but often takes several months although IRS letters seem to get through in about 3 weeks - at least to the local office!

Hope that helps

Olly and the Team

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Thx for the info Olly. I'll add EPS to the list of things to checkout when I get there.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It depends where you live. In the campo where I live I have my mail delivered to my door by a postman. The address is somewhat iffy (the americana - which I am not - behind the colmado owned by the fat man off the main road) but things take around 2 weeks from the USA and 3 weeks from the UK. Nothing has yet gone missing. Every town has a post office, although they can be difficult to find, and once you establish a relationship with them they will deliver. It usually means giving the postman RD$100 for petrol for his motorbike. My postman comes around 30 miles on his motorbike to me so it doesn't seem like a high price to pay. Alternatively you can rent a post box, or just give your phone number to the post office and they will call you when you have mail.

Matilda

Just remember this is an English site...

We use Empaq for our mail that gives us an PO address in Florida. It is located in the Plaza next to CMC (Hospital) in Sosua. Apparently they now deliver to Gaspar Hernandez too but no idea where the store is there.

We have not had anything lost yet but we just did get a Xmas card last week :)

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Remember the movie with Kevin Costner as a postman in a post nuclear war ravaged USA. Well it is nothing like that