Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are there young people down there?

Thanks AnnaC!

Hello! My name is Heather, I currently live in Golden, Colorado with my husband and our 2 young kids.. We have been looking into moving to the DR for a while now, mainly the town of Cabrera, but it seems my in-laws are ready to pull the trigger and get serious about this. I have lots of questions about living in a third world country, however.

My #1 question is, are there young people down there? I know this may come across as ignorant, but my in-laws are in their 60s and they say yes, and name 1 or 2 that they have met on their visit. But being that we are about 30 and our kids are 5 and 7, I want to know if we are going to be around a bunch of retirees, or is there people our age to connect with.

Question #2, if you could give any words of wisdom to a young couple with 2 kids moving to Cabrera, what would you say? Any advice?

Thanks In Advance!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Retirees, ha. The number of retirees here is miniscule. In fact we need more of them. The country is full of Dominicans and they are mostly young. Speak Spanish is a big help as most Dominicans do not speak much English. As far as connecting you will not have much in common with the average Dominican but in general they are a warm wonderful people. Living here is not for everyone and some cannot adapt. Be a good idea to try out the country for a while before moving if possible. Otherwise you run the risk of being driven crazy by what we have learned to get used to over time. Things like no electricity for extended periods and when it is on its very expensive. You like hot, you will like it here. its hot, hot, hot. Welcome to DR1. This site will answer all your questions and maybe some you did not even ask. We know lots about the DR.

3. Likes Harleysrock, Bob K liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, zoomzx11. That's my fear, no connection. I'm going to be visiting here in a few weeks with my husband, I hope it's better than everything that I have read, not here but the internet in general. I am new to this forum, in fact I didn't even know this existed until a few hours ago, so I plan to spend many hours reading about much of the questions that I have. Have you run into expats between 25-30yrs? Or younger children that my kids can play with? And if so, what area are you in?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeyItsMe View Post
    Thank you, zoomzx11. That's my fear, no connection. I'm going to be visiting here in a few weeks with my husband, I hope it's better than everything that I have read, not here but the internet in general. I am new to this forum, in fact I didn't even know this existed until a few hours ago, so I plan to spend many hours reading about much of the questions that I have. Have you run into expats between 25-30yrs? Or younger children that my kids can play with? And if so, what area are you in?
    There are several private elementary schools in Sosua/Cabarete with most of the children coming from expat homes.

There are lots of expat families here and most do not have problems with electricity, etc. They live in condominium or housing communities which have a generator. Also, where the bills are paid. People who have the most trouble live where there is no generator and in an area where it is common not to pay bills. Where I live we have a generator but only need to run it about 1 hour a day. Electricity service is much better than it used to be.

I don't know what you have read, and a lot of what you read in this forum has to be taken with a grain of salt

I can only speak for Sosua/Cabarete. I don't know what the situation is in Cabrera with respect to young families with children. Probably not to the extent of Sosua/Cabarete. But there are people on the board who live there and they can give you more information.

You should also get acquainted with Sosua/Cabarete when you are here.
    Last edited by Ken; 04-29-2014 at 06:47 PM.

6. Likes s1mpleton liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeyItsMe View Post
    That's my fear, no connection.
    You are probably going about making this decision incorrectly. Ask yourself why you wish to leave Colorado and move to the DR or anywhere else for that matter. Your answer is the reason to move. If your reason for moving is not sufficient to outweigh all other considerations, then becoming an expat at this stage of your life is probably not for you.

People move to the DR for a lot of reasons:

-Because they can
    -for the warmth
    -for the culture
    -to work
    -missionary work
    -to avoid going to jail at home
    -to live a comfortable lifestyle for less

There are all sorts of people here. You will find new friends in the DR. Some older, some younger, some Dominican some from other countries. Your social group is way down on the list of reasons to move to the DR. Whether you leave the US only depends on why you want to in the first place.

8. Likes Criss Colon, bizzyboneizo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you plan to support yourselves once you get here?
    How many times have you already visited here, and for how long?
    What will be your monthly budget for all expenses?
    Answer those questions and we can give you helpful responses.
    Cris Colon
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

10. Likes s1mpleton liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Im 39 and my wife is turning 33 this week, but we live in the capital. We have three children aged 8, 5 and 3 and one on the way. So yes, there are young people. But I'd rather be in europe actually...I think being young or middle aged is better there, maybe I'd come back when I'm 65 and don't have to live in Santo Domingo.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone here has given good solid advice as well as questions to ask yourself and your family. There are good and bad everywhere but if its a slower pace you are looking for the DR is as good as any you will find. Making a living I would say should be the top question you ask yourself and others here. It can be done but concessions will have to be evaluated to lifestyle and future. Read on in the forums and ask all the questions you can. Welcome to dr1 H.I.M.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

My wife and I and our three kids moved to the DR about seven months ago. We started in the Campo (The country) and now live in Sosua. We are in our early thirties and have a teenager, a school aged boy, and a toddler. It's not easy, but it is not as impossible or difficult as many will tell you.

Rent in a monthly vacation rental for a couple months while you look for a long term rental
    Rent, rent, rent.
    Learn as much Spanish as you can, but you can get by with a little, and a phone with Google translate
    You need some sort of outside income, I don't think it is possible to get a job here and raise a family
    If you estimate the cost of something, double it... (Food, gas, electric...)

14. Likes Harleysrock, Bronxboy liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi! Cabrera... a great choice! Yes, there are a few expat families here in Cabrera, but I will admit, not loads. However, that doesn't stop us from living here and loving it. I am 29 and my husband 39. We have a 2 1/2 year old and another on the way. I have a good friend who is also an expat around the same age with a 3 1/2 and almost 2 year old. My husband and I run a small school for kids aged 6 to 16 and my friend mentioned above runs a preschool / first grade school for kids aged 2 to 6. Attending our school we have a couple of kids from expat families but the majority are Dominican / Haitian, which is the same at the preschool. But both schools are taught mainly in English, so the kids could easily communicate. There are at least a few other young expat families with kids around town as well.

We live right in the town and wouldn't have it any other way. A quick walk to downtown, shops, restaurants, other neighbour kids, etc.

To save me just rambling on about how much we love living in Cabrera (we've been here 6 years now), I would be more than happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast