Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shipping Car and or Motorcycle

Wanting more information on shipping a car and or motorcycle from US (Houston most likely) to Puerto Plata area. I have spoke to some people but wasn't taking notes and don't recall the details. I know there is the import tax and the shipping cost. How do they determine the import tax? Do they go by NADA, Kelly Blue Book or just wing it?

I heard on a motorcycle it is by the engine size. I have been renting cars but my ship something there. I think a container can fit around 4 cars (depends on size of course). I was told motorcycles can be shipped by air for not too much money.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The only think I know about shipping vehicles to the DR is that they must be 4 or less years old at the time they clear DR customes.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Not more than 5yrs old and you must have owned it for a year.... this is the resident's import rules.

Value? The Aduana has its own book.

4. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I stand corrected. Thank you William.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Your best bet is to hire a broker out of Miami or NJ that specializes in auto imports. They are not cheap but well worth it. I know people that did it both ways and an broker is the way to go. The last I heard is that you will need residency and no more than 1 auto and one bike otherwise you are considered a dealer and the fees get stupid. They both have to be a minimum of 1 year old and no more than 5. Titles also have to be provided either way.

Having said all that it could change again tomorrow as this is the DR and any opportunity that they have to tax you they will. Do your due diligence and get everything in writing. Good luck!!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless you have unlimited amounts of money, a printing press, or a high-end color photo copier, lay down and forget the idea.

Other then that, Playacaribe2 does this all the time and can walk through the hell that you will be put through.

Buy a big jar of Vaseline. Maybe some tequila as well. It's going to hurt.

Frank

8. Likes zoomzx11 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I would use a broker. I was wondering how old the car or motorcycle could be. Most are saying no more then 5 years. Looking at used cars in DR I always get sticker shock. But I understand that might be the best way. I was hoping someone had used a broker recently and had some current information.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texan View Post
    I would use a broker. I was wondering how old the car or motorcycle could be. Most are saying no more then 5 years. Looking at used cars in DR I always get sticker shock. But I understand that might be the best way. I was hoping someone had used a broker recently and had some current information.
    I think Alter Ego recently imported a car, send her a PM

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr. AE was a returning resident - exemption case.

there are good threads on this... search them for valuable info..
    one in the last 6 months was an actual case study where we all followed the progress

12. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Not more than 5yrs old and you must have owned it for a year.... this is the resident's import rules.

Value? The Aduana has its own book.
    7 years: http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/eco...r-old-vehicles

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast