Shipping Car and or Motorcycle

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Wanting more information on shipping a car and or motorcycle from US (Houston most likely) to Puerto Plata area. I have spoke to some people but wasn't taking notes and don't recall the details. I know there is the import tax and the shipping cost. How do they determine the import tax? Do they go by NADA, Kelly Blue Book or just wing it?

I heard on a motorcycle it is by the engine size. I have been renting cars but my ship something there. I think a container can fit around 4 cars (depends on size of course). I was told motorcycles can be shipped by air for not too much money.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The only think I know about shipping vehicles to the DR is that they must be 4 or less years old at the time they clear DR customes.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not more than 5yrs old and you must have owned it for a year.... this is the resident's import rules.

Value? The Aduana has its own book.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Your best bet is to hire a broker out of Miami or NJ that specializes in auto imports. They are not cheap but well worth it. I know people that did it both ways and an broker is the way to go. The last I heard is that you will need residency and no more than 1 auto and one bike otherwise you are considered a dealer and the fees get stupid. They both have to be a minimum of 1 year old and no more than 5. Titles also have to be provided either way.

Having said all that it could change again tomorrow as this is the DR and any opportunity that they have to tax you they will. Do your due diligence and get everything in writing. Good luck!!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Unless you have unlimited amounts of money, a printing press, or a high-end color photo copier, lay down and forget the idea.

Other then that, Playacaribe2 does this all the time and can walk through the hell that you will be put through.

Buy a big jar of Vaseline. Maybe some tequila as well. It's going to hurt.

Frank

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I would use a broker. I was wondering how old the car or motorcycle could be. Most are saying no more then 5 years. Looking at used cars in DR I always get sticker shock. But I understand that might be the best way. I was hoping someone had used a broker recently and had some current information.

May 5, 2007
I would use a broker. I was wondering how old the car or motorcycle could be. Most are saying no more then 5 years. Looking at used cars in DR I always get sticker shock. But I understand that might be the best way. I was hoping someone had used a broker recently and had some current information.

I think Alter Ego recently imported a car, send her a PM

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mr. AE was a returning resident - exemption case.

there are good threads on this... search them for valuable info..
one in the last 6 months was an actual case study where we all followed the progress

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A few things...

1. I think the law was recently changed to allow cars up to 7 years old. And it's through the following June, meaning 7.5 years.

2. You only have 6 months after obtaining Permanent Residency to bring in a car at a discounted customs rate.

3. During that same 6 months, you can also bring in a container of household goods without paying customs fees, some people put a car with their goods into a 40' container.

Jan 9, 2004

5 year rule is still in effect, as far as I know. Talk was to try and extend it to ten years.
2008 vehicles have until June 30th 2014 to be in Customs.

A rule of thumb as to all in costs are to take the vehicles value (NADA retail) and add 50%.....now you know why vehicles are so expensive here. At a minimum you will pay 17% for first placa and 18% ITBIS....and yes they do make you pay taxes on your taxes as the 18% is applied to the total including the 17% first placa tax.

The only reason I continue to import my own vehicles and deal with the issues involved is that I know these vehicles personally. They have been owned, driven and serviced regularly. That is juxtaposed against the hassles of buying in the DR, i.e rolled back odometers, cars with unknown maintenance/driving history, etc.

Another option is to find someone in the DR who wants to sell his/her vehicle. Preferably someone who has owned the vehicle since new and can vouch/verify maintenance.

I usually bring a vehicle in every 4-5 years. The process is always the same but different. I have never used a broker, but have had people experienced with Aduana handling the paperwork.

My last vehicle a 2007 Corolla was brought in May, 2013. I specifically wait until the 5 year time frame is close to running, as that is the point where you wil pay the least taxes on the valuation portion of the vehicle.

My next vehicle a 2011 Camry will be sent in May of 2017 for the same reasons.....unless the government has an epiphany and lowers some of these taxes.

One hidden advantage of bringing in your own vehicle, at least for me, has been resale. Those that know I bring in a newer vehicle every 4-5 years are always willing and eager to buy my prior vehicle.

Different rules apply if you are a returning Dominican or taking advantage of an exemption as a new resident.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

PS: Notwithstanding today's DominicanToday article concerning vehicles being allowed in that are up to 7 years old, wait until vehicles start flowing in regularly before you attempt to utilize it. I have seen vehicles brought in, the law changed again mid-stream, and people forced to ship back vehicles.

Last edited:

beekaynz

Aug 12, 2011
I have used Encargo in Miami to ship two vehicles here. They deliver the car to your door and do the matricula and get the placa. I found this the easiest without having to deal with government yourself.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"OK" Let's put this to rest!!!!!!
All of those who don't live here, or read Dominican newspapers, have no IDEA.
In TODAYS papers, "It's NOW SEVEN years or less!
Everyone GOT THAT????
Go on your computers, go to "DiarioLibreVirtual" and you will see the headline.
If you don't read SPANISH then stop commenting about what you don't know!
I don't know what's going on in Canada!
So I don't comment !
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hey CCCCCologne..... if you're referring to me - (5yrs_).... check my post
It was before today's paper came out

and if you believe everything you read --- I have a tunnel for you to buy:chinese:

Jan 9, 2004
As to the new 7 year law:

The senate passed it in February, The Chamber of Deputies has affirmed it and it now needs the Presidents signature before it becomes law.

The start date of the new law has not been identified. It could be immediately after signing or some date in the future.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Oh Noooo,
PC2, say it ain't sooo.

Not a law yet?

let's put this to rest -- it's not a law yet
all you guys who read the papers need to read PAST the headline - to the article

Nonetheless, I understand there a zealot in each of us...
and I thank them for their efforts to 'right the ship'

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thank you for the confession my son,
you are absolved....

English is not your first language.... nor is Spanish...... an orphan in a foreign land

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Hey, Criss, a little high strung for the DR are we?

I replied with a genuine interest in passing on the the information I gleaned from asking the exact same question of the Dominican Embassy not three weeks ago. My crime was typing a 4 instead of a 5 (they are right next to each other on the keyboard don't cha know) for which I apologized.

I don't think your boorish retort was called for. It was certainly unproductive and in your haste to cast aspersions, you simply inserted your own foot into your mouth and committed the same faux pas that you chastised others for.

Not very becoming of a veteran DR1 inhabitant, but I am sure no malice was intended and I forgive you.