Accessing money in the Dominican Republic

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
How much cash can I withdraw on a daily basis with my American ATM?

What is the limit and what are the fees?

Thanks everyone.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Fee's has gone up just last Month. In pesos I think its now 140 for each transaction, but a bank like BHD was charging 200 pesos just a few Years ago, all are different. Also,your bank will also charge you unless they state otherwise for not using their ATM..Over all I pay a good 7 bucks US for every transaction..The max I can withdraw is 30,000 Pesos in increments of 10,000 being 3 transactions. And you need to find an ATM that allows 10,000 since quite a few will stop you at 4,000 pesos...No idea of your location, so I can't suggest a ATM location for you..

However, you ca walk into any bank with proof of who you are and take what you want with whatever fee they may charge. I did that a few times when I first came here in 2007, was not much of a fee at all, just don't recall the amount so you know it was low or I would have remembered it for sure. If you can tell us your location it would help to direct you to a few ATMS in your area since many members here do the same..

Anthony

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
Fee's has gone up just last Month. In pesos I think its now 140 for each transaction, but a bank like BHD was charging 200 pesos just a few Years ago, all are different. Also,your bank will also charge you unless they state otherwise for not using their ATM..Over all I pay a good 7 bucks US for every transaction..The max I can withdraw is 30,000 Pesos in increments of 10,000 being 3 transactions. And you need to find an ATM that allows 10,000 since quite a few will stop you at 4,000 pesos...No idea of your location, so I can't suggest a ATM location for you..

However, you ca walk into any bank with proof of who you are and take what you want with whatever fee they may charge. I did that a few times when I first came here in 2007, was not much of a fee at all, just don't recall the amount so you know it was low or I would have remembered it for sure. If you can tell us your location it would help to direct you to a few ATMS in your area since many members here do the same..

Anthony

I am presently in Santo Domingo. I also need to know if I can take a cash advance with my credit card.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Okay, best bet is to hit the La Serina by Bravo, they have about 7 machines there and all of them are set for the max, 10,000 pesos per transaction. If your close to the National on Nunez, then use Scotia Bank, its in the same lot as National. Not sure about cash advances, perhaps check with any bank about this, but I have seen supermarkets ask if you want any money back when using a credit card, so perhaps a supermarket will do that for you, see what others have to say about this.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Depends on the limit of your us based bank, if your limit is usd1,000, it will be around 42500 pesos. Often in 10,000 pesos installments. The rare cases I use my Bank of America card to take out money I'm being charged 3% and no further costs (although not the best rate). (At Scotiabank). This used to be free though (only the lousy rate would apply). Since it's not free I'm wiring the money. A slightly better rate and 'just' a one time 45 (US side)+ 12 (DR side) dollar fee and an additional 300 pesos. Still way better than 3% if your complete income is deposited in the US.

Cash advance is possible, as far as I know only inside the bank with a foreign card.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
My US bank defaults to $300 max a day. But you can call your US bank and have them raise the limit.

Western union is fast if someone will send you money. I think it is best to send dollars via western union and not pesos. Then change at western union.

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
Accessing money in dr

My US bank defaults to $300 max a day. But you can call your US bank and have them raise the limit.

Western union is fast if someone will send you money. I think it is best to send dollars via western union and not pesos. Then change at western union.

Is it easier to take a cash advance with my credit card?

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I think it would cost more. But if possible you should be able to call your credit card company anytime and ask their fees. But I have not done that before.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the amount is driven by YOUR bank.... they set the daily limit and weekly maximum.

i.e. mine (Cnd Bank) is $1,000/day up to $3,000/week
I don't use a US bank for ATM's.

Your bank will/may have 'no charge' relationships w/ an RD bank - ask about that from your US bank

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
You set up with your bank how much money do you want per day, most of the ATM machines are set up to give 10,000 pesos Max.

Popular Bank also Charge 200.00 per transaction, if you dont wanna be charge 3 times 200.00 you can go inside the bank with a teller and your passport (Not Copy) and take all the money in one shot, so that way they have to charge only 200.00.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
One thing I've noticed is that, if you're going the cash advance route, that not a lot of banks ATMs (at least here in bavaro) will process an Amex. Visa or MC is fine, but I had to go to a bank for a cash advance on my Amex, which gives someone the opportunity to copy your card and ID.

So prepare yourself to use Visa or MC and you can do cash advances at an ATM, thus reducing your fraud exposure. You could still end up using a rigged ATM machine, but that can happen in the US too.