New Member (sort of)

Cocoa6705

Apr 22, 2014
Introducing myself, or should I say reintroducing since I lost original sign up info from a few years back.
Been an avid reader of dr1 for years. Been going to the North Coast since 2005. Fell in love with the place and people so much that I purchased a villa between Sosua/Cabarete. Provides me with perspective from a tourist as well as homeowner and all that goes along with living in DR (fun and tribulations).

Looking forward to the continued drama of upcoming posts and providing any info I can.

Cocoa6705

Apr 13, 2011
You probably have some interesting stories about how things have changed since you started visiting the DR in 2005... tell us about some of the fun and tribulations.

Cocoa6705

Apr 22, 2014
You probably have some interesting stories about how things have changed since you started visiting the DR in 2005... tell us about some of the fun and tribulations.

A few changes:

I've learned to work in Dominican time and leave corporate America mentality on the plane. Things happen in the DR at their own speed and yelling will only slow things down.

Since my first visit, the world economic slowdown has seriously changed the street scene. Alot more women on the streets, actually I should say girls. There seem to be "children" working the tourist trade.

It's a hell of a lot more expensive to get there. Trips on AA used to run $500-$600. I'm lucky to get a $700 fare now.

In the Sosua area, there is a serious move to clean up the town and make it more family friendly. I've been to the DR as a single man and now as a family. I enjoy Sosua with the family, but know to be gone by the evening festivities. I'm not sure the reputation of a cleaned up Sosua will happen quick enough to offset the $$ from running off the current visitors.

Sadly, business don't seem to last from one trip to the next. We visit in April, August and sometimes an October weekend. More and more, we are noticing a business you see on one trip is not guaranteed to still be around the next time you visit.

Finally, I now realize how expensive electricity is here, especially now that I'm paying the bill. I love my rental income, but would it kill someone to turn the AC down?!?

Ny2sosua

May 6, 2014
Hi my name is bobby . Congrats on your new villa. Where did you purchase ( Casa Linda) ?
You say you are enjoying the rental income? How much income can one make on property in your community ?
The reason I ask Is because I have been looking into casa Linda I even met the owner but I was not sure because I will mostly use the villa for rental income and use it personally for 2 weeks a year. I would love to hear how the system is working out for a owner like yourself thanks ..

Ny2sosua

May 6, 2014
A few changes:

I've learned to work in Dominican time and leave corporate America mentality on the plane. Things happen in the DR at their own speed and yelling will only slow things down.

Since my first visit, the world economic slowdown has seriously changed the street scene. Alot more women on the streets, actually I should say girls. There seem to be "children" working the tourist trade.

It's a hell of a lot more expensive to get there. Trips on AA used to run $500-$600. I'm lucky to get a $700 fare now.

In the Sosua area, there is a serious move to clean up the town and make it more family friendly. I've been to the DR as a single man and now as a family. I enjoy Sosua with the family, but know to be gone by the evening festivities. I'm not sure the reputation of a cleaned up Sosua will happen quick enough to offset the $$ from running off the current visitors.

Sadly, business don't seem to last from one trip to the next. We visit in April, August and sometimes an October weekend. More and more, we are noticing a business you see on one trip is not guaranteed to still be around the next time you visit.

Finally, I now realize how expensive electricity is here, especially now that I'm paying the bill. I love my rental income, but would it kill someone to turn the AC down?!?

Hi my name is bobby . Congrats on your new villa. Where did you purchase ( Casa Linda) ?
You say you are enjoying the rental income? How much income can one make on property in your community ?
The reason I ask Is because I have been looking into casa Linda I even met the owner but I was not sure because I will mostly use the villa for rental income and use it personally for 2 weeks a year. I would love to hear how the system is working out for a owner like yourself thanks ..

Ny2sosua

May 6, 2014
Can any owner share how the retal program is worki g for there villa in casa Linda or other gated communities hisponiola ,etc...
I would love to hear how the system is working and how much one can generate off of a 2-3 bedroom villa monthly? Thanks

Cocoa6705

Apr 22, 2014

Welcome Bobby.
I did buy in Casa Linda. will be 2 years in August. I purchased an older villa from the first phase. The first year to 18 months was dedicated to a combination of repairing aging systems to replacing Ikea furniture. I went on a rant in another post, but do not buy Ikea furniture for the DR. it does not stand up to climate or the wear and tear of a rental program.

Now that the repairs are done, the villa is starting to pay for itself. I'm sure you checked out the Casa Linda site and see villas go from $100+ a night for a 2 bdrm. I love the larger villas, but knowing what I know now, I would still max out at a 2 bdrm. Imagine 4-6 single men and all that goes along with them in some of the larger villas.

Staff is great. Grounds are safe. Getting new onsite amenities. All in all, very pleased.

We use it the same amount of time you intend - 2 weeks a year. Typically spring break and a week in the summer. Works out well.

When you get private message rights, we can talk offline and I'll give you any details you need.

Ny2sosua

May 6, 2014
Thank you for sharing some information I would love to know more because I'm very interested, I have the floor plans with me that I received from Eric who is a great guy, I just need to hear from people like yourself who actually own and rent there villa .
P.s I have been reading dr1 forum post for a while but your post made me sign up . I don't know how or when ill have pm rights but I will do some simple research on how that works,

Ny2sosua

May 6, 2014
I'm planning another trip to casa Linda in a few months and want to know all I should know before my next trip

Cocoa6705

Apr 22, 2014
I'm planning another trip to casa Linda in a few months and want to know all I should know before my next trip

I just got PM rights yesterday. Kicks in after about 10 posts. I see you are up to 5, so soon. If you can email me (left click on my username), do that and we'll spare everyone the boring details.

I'm back in August. when is the trip you're planning?

Ny2sosua

May 6, 2014
Thanks for the info.
My last trip was in November 2014
I usually visit every 6 months for a week but I been busy with a new business and not ready to leave the staff unattended, so guessing ill be going either August or September depending on how thing are flowing in the U.S