Residence Visa Requirements

brittopher1

Apr 11, 2012
I have sent my Residence Visa application with all required information on the DR Embassy in DC's web site (Embassy of the Dominican Republic, in the United States) and have just been told I am required to provide an additional document from the following list:

1. Family ties (family reunification through marriage / direct dependence).
2. Investors, Pensioners or Retirees according to Law 171-07.
3. Comply with an indefinite employment contract in public or private institutions

I was told that the notarized letter of guarantee from my Dominican Attorney would be enough but apparently I am required to file as an investor or have an indefinite employment contract in addition to the aforementioned required information on the website.

I do have a Dominican SRL incorporated and filed but we must receive our residencies before we can move forward with our bank loans to purchase property.

Has anyone encountered this issue? Would it be easier to file my business with the Center for Export and Investment of the Dominican Republic or Ministry of Tourism and receive a certification as a Direct Investor or a Tourism Development Project, or attempt to obtain an indefinite employment contract?

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Apr 13, 2011
If you are married to a Dominican, then that will work.
If you have already invested enough money in your Dominican SRL to meet the investor requirement, then that might work...
The employment contract is if a local business has hired you (for example, some businesses locate management personnel in the DR for operation of their free trade zone businesses).

brittopher1

Apr 11, 2012
Thank you for your quick response.

Method one is currently not applicable, but we have invested the required amount to incorporate and have filed our annual taxes this year though we have not brought in capital in this fiscal year. Where could I find the information on the required amount to invest in a business to meet the investor requirement?

Is there any way we could receive an indefinite employment contract from the business we own to file for our residence visa?

We appear to currently have a catch 22 situation. We need to invest money to receive our residence visa, but cannot invest until we have our residency...

Thank you again for your time and consideration!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Those are the only three criteria that qualify you (as a foreigner) for a residency permit.

I assume you are not married to, the child of a Dominican so that's out.
I assume you have not been employed by a company in the DR so that's out.

Your only choice left is to demonstrate that you have either:

Invested enough $$$ in the DR to qualify under the investor program.
Are retired and have a pension that gives you enough monthly income to live on.

One of those two documents are required in addition to the guarantor letter that you mention.

If you can't furnish either of the above, then you will not be granted residency under the program as it exists today. That might change someday as the immigration policies seem to change rather regularly.

Good luck.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Thank you for your quick response.

Is there any way we could receive an indefinite employment contract from the business we own to file for our residence visa?

You should probably consult a Dominican immigration lawyer. I don't know the answer to your question and any answer you get from a couch surfer on a forum has to be verified before relying on it.

Rgds.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Get a letter that says you will be traveling to and from DR on business. This Business visa is approved at the DR consulate in the US, not the offices in SD. Same cost, fewer requirements, and you could walk out same day with your visa in your passport.

And yes, I've done it, and I have it. Same-day service once the paperwork was submitted, and no lawyers involved.