Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labor Day holiday - when?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Labor Day holiday - when?

Anybody know for sure when banks, etc. will be closed for Labor Day? Tomorrow is the day (1 May), but someone told me today "the president" announced the holiday (with closed schools, banks) will be on MONDAY?? I see nothing in the newspapers and have not caught anything on the televicion.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by franco1111 View Post
    Anybody know for sure when banks, etc. will be closed for Labor Day? Tomorrow is the day (1 May), but someone told me today "the president" announced the holiday (with closed schools, banks) will be on MONDAY?? I see nothing in the newspapers and have not caught anything on the televicion.
    Monday

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

on some occasions holidays are "moved" to the nearest monday, this is one of them.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, yes to me Friday would make more sense, it is closer to the actual day. But, of course, mine is not the Dominican mind. They move to Monday. Makes some sense since many people here work on Saturday, part of day. So, if Monday is the holiday, they get two whole days, Sunday and Monday. Better. Overthinking it again...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Besides that, if it's Friday Dominicans tend to take off Thursday afternoon as well. This 'stops' the economy more than a holiday on a Monday, since it's less likely people take off Tuesday morning. Apparently that's the reason behind changing holidays to Mondays preferably than to Fridays.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you to all.

And, this right after Semana Santa, a whole week of rolling holidays. Not sure which day it really was. The most important day seemed to be midnight Thursday to midnight Friday.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by franco1111 View Post
    Makes some sense since many people here work on Saturday, part of day.
    this is actually correct. monday off makes it a long weekend since so many jobs require working half of saturday.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The actual reason the law was made to change to Monday was to avoid making 'bridges', not to give people a long weekend.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason Good Friday was different is probably because it is a day based in religion. Not other like May Day. I see there will be some sort of Labor event at the capital tomorrow. All good.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Monday is the official day off when banks will be closed....moving holidays around like they do in the states to allow for a long weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast