Labor Day holiday - when?

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Anybody know for sure when banks, etc. will be closed for Labor Day? Tomorrow is the day (1 May), but someone told me today "the president" announced the holiday (with closed schools, banks) will be on MONDAY?? I see nothing in the newspapers and have not caught anything on the televicion.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Anybody know for sure when banks, etc. will be closed for Labor Day? Tomorrow is the day (1 May), but someone told me today "the president" announced the holiday (with closed schools, banks) will be on MONDAY?? I see nothing in the newspapers and have not caught anything on the televicion.

Monday

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
on some occasions holidays are "moved" to the nearest monday, this is one of them.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Ah, yes to me Friday would make more sense, it is closer to the actual day. But, of course, mine is not the Dominican mind. They move to Monday. Makes some sense since many people here work on Saturday, part of day. So, if Monday is the holiday, they get two whole days, Sunday and Monday. Better. Overthinking it again...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Besides that, if it's Friday Dominicans tend to take off Thursday afternoon as well. This 'stops' the economy more than a holiday on a Monday, since it's less likely people take off Tuesday morning. Apparently that's the reason behind changing holidays to Mondays preferably than to Fridays.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Thank you to all.

And, this right after Semana Santa, a whole week of rolling holidays. Not sure which day it really was. The most important day seemed to be midnight Thursday to midnight Friday.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The actual reason the law was made to change to Monday was to avoid making 'bridges', not to give people a long weekend.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The reason Good Friday was different is probably because it is a day based in religion. Not other like May Day. I see there will be some sort of Labor event at the capital tomorrow. All good.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Monday is the official day off when banks will be closed....moving holidays around like they do in the states to allow for a long weekend.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Ah, yes to me Friday would make more sense, it is closer to the actual day. But, of course, mine is not the Dominican mind. They move to Monday. Makes some sense since many people here work on Saturday, part of day. So, if Monday is the holiday, they get two whole days, Sunday and Monday. Better. Overthinking it again...

Remember that not every body is off on Saturday, when we have a holiday in a friday then people that works on saturday are ****ed off because can not make any plan, but if they move it to next monday, so you can take a very good rest and can make plans starting on Saturday afternoon and coming back on monday.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The reason Good Friday was different is probably because it is a day based in religion. Not other like May Day. I see there will be some sort of Labor event at the capital tomorrow. All good.

some days, like viernes santo, navidad and few national holidays are not movable. every year the government announces holiday schedule, it gets posted on dr1 too.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Here in pop the public schools are closed are closed today through mon. I guess they are so smart they don't need that much schooling ?

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
some days, like viernes santo, navidad and few national holidays are not movable. every year the government announces holiday schedule, it gets posted on dr1 too.

Yes, I see now the post to DR1 with holidays is very complete and accurate! May 5 is on there. I had seen the postf (and saved it), but did not follow the link then to the whole list. Very helpful since it is hard to know sometimes what day the holidays are actually celebrated.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Here in pop the public schools are closed are closed today through mon. I guess they are so smart they don't need that much schooling ?

in poland school always have longer holidays: week off for xmas, week off for easter, bridges between holiday and the weekend. i wonder if the same applies here?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It's the same very year. The same days are allowed to change and will change if the holiday is from Tuesday till Friday . Some days will change to Monday if they fall in a weekend (like Reyes) and some days won't change like important national holidays, religious days that have a base on a day of the week (good FRIDAY), JUEVES de Corpus Christi, but also some others. It seems to be that for every holiday someone makes a arbitrary decision of what to do, but their are in fact strict rules, even stipulated in a law that manage which day will be given free.