How many Gasoline stations are btwn Punta Cana and Puerto Plata?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Doing my first longer trip. Going from Bavaro to Puerto Plata. But not through SDQ.

Instead from Bavaro to Boca chica and from Boca Chica to Nagua using the Samana Highway.

From Nagua to POP along the coast.

Can anybody tell me where are the gas stations? Is there one at the Samana highway?

Thanks

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
No moto in a SUV. But wasn't sure where to refill. Thanks! :)

ABout 1/3 of the way north there is a gas station/plaza type place. And then it is a bit of a stretch to Nagua, so fill up there if you are on a moto and have a small tank with a short range. But that stretch ain't 100 miles.
Der Fish

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
On the Samana Autopista ther are now 3 petrol/gas stations plus one when you exit the Autopista on the way to Nagua. Watch it, the speed cops are pretty activeon the Autopista.

Tim Smith

Apr 28, 2014
They really do have speed control police here granca...? Over 4 years here now I have never been harassed about speed, "speeding"... Good to know that actually happens. I obey laws I know to be law and still get the plea for pesos from time to time. Playing the "I don't understand" card works most times. :rolleyes:

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
They really do have speed control police here granca...? Over 4 years here now I have never been harassed about speed, "speeding"... Good to know that actually happens. I obey laws I know to be law and still get the plea for pesos from time to time. Playing the "I don't understand" card works most times. :rolleyes:

I got nailed on that highway, Samana - SD, and tried that, but they wrote up the ticket anyway....tried the no speak a spanish, tried to tell him that I was doing only 60 (it was 60mph), not 80, but he showed me that was mph not kph and the speed limit is 80kph and they don't pull you over unless you are going over 100kph....
These AMET are a different breed than most in the cities....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo travels there frequently and he says there are a few stations on that highway plus, of course, many more between nagua and POP as well. he also says you should be able to get to POP easily if you fill up before leaving punta cana.

drive safely and enjoy your trip!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I got nailed on that highway, Samana - SD, and tried that, but they wrote up the ticket anyway....tried the no speak a spanish, tried to tell him that I was doing only 60 (it was 60mph), not 80, but he showed me that was mph not kph and the speed limit is 80kph and they don't pull you over unless you are going over 100kph....
These AMET are a different breed than most in the cities....

Nice to hear. I once got pinched doing 5 kph over the posted limit, and was stuck with a 3000 peso bill. A second time, I was doing the limit over a hill, and got stopped anyway. The officer was fine with a 1000 peso tip for all his hard work.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Half tank rule

There is a Texaco Station at the crossroads of the Samana Highway ( Autopista del Nordeste ) and Rt 23 to Bayaguana. You will have many chances to fuel. If you are the cautious type you can top off at the bomba Shell in Boca Chica before proceeding to the highway. In this country it is wise to observe the half tank rule. When your fuel level hits half tank - refuel. You will always have a reserve to get you to distant fueling locations, should a station be out of fuel or lacks electricity to pump.

The good plan of the half tank rule if you arrive at a location with a half tank and refuel with dirty fuel the half tank you already have dilutes the bad, lowering the event of fuel line clog, damage, and having the check engine indicator light up.

Filling a near empty tank with bad fuel is a recipe for disaster. Of course you don't know it is contaminated fuel until after you refuel.

Regards,

PJT