crime and punishment

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as a local ghoul of dr1 i often join donP posting about deaths and accidents involving foreigners. i was asked a while ago to bring some "investigative journalism" to the table when it comes to crime.

today the news are running articles about the the final outcome of a murder that took place in 2011. in august 2011 a french businessman was murdered in samana. his wife reported that he was stabbed upon returning home with her late at night.

the police investigated the case further and when the wife found out that she was being looked at as a possible suspected she tried to bribe the police. she was arrested and admitted to paying 200k pesos for the murder of her husband, alleging that he mistreated her and she felt nothing for him, hence the crime.

Mujer mat? esposo franc?s trat? de sobornar autoridades

today the wife and a murderer were sentenced to 30 years in prison. this is a maximum sentence in DR (so far).
Pena m?xima contra hombre y mujer que mataron a un franc?s en Saman? - DiarioLibre.com

note this piece:
Seg?n se estableci? en el expediente instrumentado, los procesados cometieron la acci?n al momento en que sosten?an relaciones sexuales junto al franc?s, quien era el compa?ero sentimental de la imputada, en una yipeta propiedad del occiso.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I wonder if these 30 years will take as long as the 30 years the guy got that killed someone in 2009 and threatened to kill a witness if he would testify against him, who (the witness) was killed this week by the convicted murder who 'logro de salir' (take note it doesn't say he escaped), after being convicted in 2011 based on the testimony of the now dead witness.

Confirman que lo mataron porque fue testigo de un juicio en 2011 - Diario Libre Movil

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
who knows? i doubt there will be any further newspaper reports in regards to this case, thou.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I just do not understand, sometimes, the reasons why a spouse would go so far as to have the other one murdered.

If you can't get along, or if there's no more feelings for one another, then simply divorce!

She claims that she was being mistreated by her husband and that she no longer felt anything for him.

I'm talking about the first article, where the wife hired someone to murder her husband.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It's a bit weird she allegedly had him killed paying money, but killed him while having sex with the killer in the victims car. I'd say that if she would have said they killed him because he found them and threatened them the punishment would be lower than hen you say you planned and paid someone to have him killed.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
who knows? i doubt there will be any further newspaper reports in regards to this case, thou.
Yes, I've noticed that there's seldom ANY follow ups. If there is, it's because like this one, the guilty one made headlines once more.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I wonder if these 30 years will take as long as the 30 years the guy got that killed someone in 2009 and threatened to kill a witness if he would testify against him, who (the witness) was killed this week by the convicted murder who 'logro de salir' (take note it doesn't say he escaped), after being convicted in 2011 based on the testimony of the now dead witness.

Extract from the DR1 News section:

Police Chief Manuel Castro Castillo told Listin Diario reporters that the mastermind of this crime was Quinones de la Rosa. He also said that he could not understand how a person already convicted of murder and sentenced to 30 years in prison was out on the streets after another court changed the sentence. "It is unfortunate that an individual who has been sentenced to 30 years for homicide, and who is also charged with other crimes, could be free to commit another horrible crime."

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You BUY your way out of long term prison terms here if you have enough money to bribe a judge!
The DR,..."TOO MUCH Crime, Not ENOUGH Punishment"!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Wives, and X wives, NEVER can let it GO!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Wives, and X wives, NEVER can let it GO!

Memories like an elephant. You can be reminded of a shortcoming that occurred years previously in excruciating detail. I can't remember what I had for breakfast a week ago Monday let alone what I am alleged to have done on April 12 2001.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
They leave no stone unturned when it comes to locking up a gringo ,I don't suppose money has anything to do with it ?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Through the back door

Police Chief Manuel Castro Castillo (...) could not understand how a person already convicted of murder and sentenced to 30 years in prison was out on the streets...

But my dear, should you not know, that this is the norm in this country??? :rolleyes:

I have yet to find a statistics showing the number of inmates who were sentenced to 30 years and are still in prison after 1, 2 or 5 years.
:: Direcci?n General de Prisiones :: Estadisticas

If the victim's family does not pay more than the murderer's family, the criminal usually slips through the back door after some time.

donP

P.S.:

Quoted report by an (American) inmate, who -IMO - observed his surroundings well:

"But even in the event that a defendant is sentenced,
all is not lost. The DR may be the only country in the
world where prisoners routinely make ?bail? after they
have been convicted. DR1.com (...)reported that of
3,086 prisoners convicted in year 2002-2003, 53% of
whom were convicted for murder and drug violations,
2,612 (85%) purchased executive pardons (DR1.com July, 28 2004).
Of definitive importance regarding how fast an inmate
can make bail and how much it will cost are, 1) how
Dominican the inmate is, 2) if he or she has contacts, and
3) how much money he or she appears to have:
This bail system is far more efficient than the codified legal
system that most lawyers and foreign observers believe prevails.
The annual turnover rate in prison inmates in the Forteleza de
St. Felipe, Puerta Plata, (...) was seven; meaning that contrary
to official reports of slow processing rates, the total number
of detainees who passed through that prison each year (..)
is seven times the prison population at any given moment:
the annual prison stay is less than two months.

The average murder gets out in several days to one or two years.
If he gets sentenced it is a minimum of five years in prison.
The sentenced inmates are the exceptions, those cases that
are pushed by a victim?s family, a corporation that has been
robbed or powerful individual who has been wronged.
In these cases there may be a trial and the accused sentenced.

If the detainee has the money to pay and no one is pushing
hard against them then they can make bail faster than otherwise.
(...)People with money and contacts pass through the prison in days."