new italian restaurant in sosua

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
The Osteria Toscana on the corner of the road going down to the main beach.

Yes, i hear the groans: 'not another italian restaurant!'

But this one is a little different. I think they have thought this out well and have positioned themselves nicely. They are a little pricier but also a little classier than the like of the Elefante Rosso (which has gone very downhill of late) and Antica Locanda on PC but its not too pricey.
They have a restrained menu with a few more expensive items and a few cheaper pasta dishes.
The place looks fantastic and has a really lovely outdoor seating area.

Our food was very nice but to add to it we were given loads of freebies which always makes me love a place :)
Free glass of wine, free bruscheta, free limoncello and free italian sweet biscuits!

All in all, a welcome addition to Sosua in my opinion and i hope they do really well.

ps the owner is from Florence, Tuscany.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I ate there also. Very good chef from Firenze, Italy. (Florence). Prices are reasonable and all tax is included. I went in there when they were open less than 2 weeks. I asked for a Tanqueray Martini Dry. The chef-owner came to me and asked me if I knew how to make it. I said yes, and he said go behind the bar and do what you want. My kind of guy.

Anyway I was making Martinis for others also. This guy is a good chef. The only problem is service. They only had one girl working then, and she did not have a clue. But you can deal directly with the chef. Seating is inside and outside.

Good place, I recommend it also.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I was wondering about that place. Saw the signs on the windows. Are they open for lunch as well as dinner?

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
It hasn't been open in the day when I've passed but I will definitely check it out one evening!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Still looking for a really good red sauce Italian place. Doesn't sound like Florence would have that style.

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
Nice... will definitely check it out. Is it on Pedro Clisante?

:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Nice... will definitely check it out. Is it on Pedro Clisante?

:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

On the corner of the access street to the beach. On your right as you start down the access street. It across from the taxi standl.

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
On the corner of the access street to the beach. On your right as you start down the access street. It across from the taxi standl.

Ken I appreciate the effort but with those directions I will end up at the Playero.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken I appreciate the effort but with those directions I will end up at the Playero.

You use "Sosua Sonny" but you don't know the access street to the beach, the street that runs from PC to the beach parking lot"

The the street starts between the restaurant and the building that used to house the La Roca restaurant. If you don't where they are, then knowing the restaurant used to be the Voodoo lounge won't be of much help to you either.

Out of curiosity, how much does Sosua Sonny know about Sosua?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
By using the term 'red sauce place' i think that the whole of Italy may not be your style!

Sounds maybe like you're looking for 'eyetalian-american'?

tinned ravioli comes in a red sauce ;-) lol

Like I used to get back home in the city where I was born (and the surrounding areas) that was about 40% Italian. So yes it was Italian/American and it was excellent. These Italians came from the southern part of Italy and some had "family business". But boy was the food good. Nothing like it yet in the DR.

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
You use "Sosua Sonny" but you don't know the access street to the beach, the street that runs from PC to the beach parking lot"

The the street starts between the restaurant and the building that used to house the La Roca restaurant. If you don't where they are, then knowing the restaurant used to be the Voodoo lounge won't be of much help to you either.

Out of curiosity, how much does Sosua Sonny know about Sosua?

Yes I am aware of that street. The first set of instructions you gave were not clear to me. I come to Sosua twice a year for 6 weeks at a time. I am pretty sure your knowledge of Sosua surpasses mine. I shall be there in 3 weeks and more than willing to crack open a bottle of Brugal with you! :lick:

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
Like I used to get back home in the city where I was born (and the surrounding areas) that was about 40% Italian. So yes it was Italian/American and it was excellent. These Italians came from the southern part of Italy and some had "family business". But boy was the food good. Nothing like it yet in the DR.

I get where your coming from. Americans put a nice twist on Italian food. A good example is the Pizza in New York. I love Mexican food but nothing beats the American version "Tex Mex!!!"

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I get where your coming from. Americans put a nice twist on Italian food. A good example is the Pizza in New York. I love Mexican food but nothing beats the American version "Tex Mex!!!"

Exactly. Pizza in NY is way better than "real Italian pizza" or pizza with nuttin' on it as I call it. .