Improving Sosua's Water & Sewarage Systems

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

Monday, April 30 the chairman of the Water and Sewerage Corporation (CORAAPPLATA), engineer Carlos Troche, visited the water plant in Puerto Plata which provides Montellano, Sos?a and Cabarete with water. The chairman came to inspect the progress of the renovation of the facilities. The water supply to Sos?a has been renewed for a large part. This, after the thin pipeline became clogged by implosion. Now the water pumps and filters in the water plant will be renewed. There will also be set up a laboratory, at the insistence of President Danilo. Adequately trained laboratory technicians must begin monitoring the water quality. From late July the sewage system of Sos?a and Montellano will also be renovated and equipped with a modern treatment system.

So in July and August, many roads in Sos?a will be turned upside down for the reconstruction of the sewer pipes. The renovation and construction of the sewer system and treatment plant is financed with a loan from the World B

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Unbelievable that they do not have the enough cash on hand to work on a local water system. Amazed that the World Bank would lend a corrupt country like the DR a dime. But, on a more positive note, its a wonderful opportunity for those involved in the construction to steal a ton of money. Sadly this will leave us with a problematic, poorly designed system, built with inferior materials that will be nothing but a headache for the local residents for years to come. Not to mention that patch up job that rwill leave us with even worse roads. Strange how only in the DR what would be good news in a first world country is bad news here. I hope I am mistaken.

May 29, 2006
Hopefully, they will be digging separate trenches for the water lines and sewer lines. It's not uncommon to put them into the same trench. Both lines end up with leaks and when there is no pressure in the water lines, raw sewage can contaminate the water lines. Another concern is the sewage system flooding in rainy season. In Sosua, they'll be mostly digging through coral uplift.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
LOL, we have lived here too long... I would not hold my breath on this though...maybe the Sosua hospital or highway to Puerto Plata will be built first... jajajaja... I live with low expectations and I am much less disappointed... jajajaja...

Unbelievable that they do not have the enough cash on hand to work on a local water system. Amazed that the World Bank would lend a corrupt country like the DR a dime. But, on a more positive note, its a wonderful opportunity for those involved in the construction to steal a ton of money. Sadly this will leave us with a problematic, poorly designed system, built with inferior materials that will be nothing but a headache for the local residents for years to come. Not to mention that patch up job that rwill leave us with even worse roads. Strange how only in the DR what would be good news in a first world country is bad news here. I hope I am mistaken.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A first requirement is actually having the water to supply to Sosua, Cabarete etc..

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
with a little luck it will go the way of the Sosua Marina. Is the idea really to improve anything or is it to create an opportunity for theft of the money? Maybe both or one in the guise of another? Am I paranoid? Maybe I have lived here too long and have become just a tiny bit cynical. If the plan is theft they do not need any water.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Windeguy is actually right!!!!
This year to date only 25.5 inches of rain have fallen to the end of April. The 6 year average upto this time of year is 37.29 inches. The shortfall so far is 32% of the average rainfall. So wells will be drying up and people who rely on wells should consider conservation otherwise you will run out. Those of you in La mulata already know what that is like and paying 3000 RD$ for a tanker of grotty water tires quickly.

The lack of rain has an impact on well levels about 2-3 months after the rainfall. This year January was a bit light on rain but April was a disaster with only 2 inches versa over 9 inches for the 6 year average. These values are all for the location between sosua and Cabarete on the North Coast.

So Windeguy - you are right - we need rain!

Olly and the Team