DR 16th in Pain and Misery Index

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
A pain and misery Index has been prepared by CATO Institute and Dominican Republic came 16th (lower the number the worse it is ) . Venezuela came NO 1. Poland came 37th and USA 71st !

Here is the link :http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/images/global-miseryindexbg.jpg

Link to the whole article : Measuring Misery around the World | Cato Institute

Olly and the Team...

I dunno who's more powerful, or carries more weight...

Olly and the Team,

Or "THAT'S WHAT THEY SAY"

???

:laugh:

Aug 6, 2006
Cato has an axe to grind here and lacks the objectivity to be trusted.

Ukraine has had a corrupt right wing government followed by a corrupt left wing government followed by an invasion by the Russians and the collapse of the country. Plus it is cold enough to freeze your ass off six months of the year there. The sun may shine 40 days a year. How could it possibly be less miserable than the DR?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Onassis,
Ukraine is 24th versas DR at 16th and the study was done in 2013 so may not have picked up the current situation.

Olly and the Team

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Ukraine has had a corrupt right wing government followed by a corrupt left wing government followed by an invasion by the Russians and the collapse of the country. Plus it is cold enough to freeze your ass off six months of the year there. The sun may shine 40 days a year. How could it possibly be less miserable than the DR?

because this is an article written by guys with some right wing view of what happiness is.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Good Vodka, perhaps. The methodology used is the same for all countries. It doesn't measure the happiness of a nation , just what causes misery, not enough money. What ax does CATO have to grind. I think you are the one lacking objectivity when you automatically cast everything done by CATO into your progressive (regressive) mindset.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I am living as retired in the DR so I feel none of the misery elements that were used to make this list. Here I am in a country where what matters to me is the "Sunshine Index" and the DR has a good rank in that list. That does not mean I have no empathy for others here.

Aug 6, 2006
Good Vodka, perhaps. The methodology used is the same for all countries. It doesn't measure the happiness of a nation , just what causes misery, not enough money. What ax does CATO have to grind. I think you are the one lacking objectivity when you automatically cast everything done by CATO into your progressive (regressive) mindset.
=======================================
We all bloody KNOW the axe Cato has to grind. Cato hates any aspect of government that does not favor big business. Cato does not give a crap about income or wealth inequality. Cato does not believe in having a Dept of Education. Cato wants to eliminate unions from everywhere. Cato wants the rich to get richer and the poor to pay its "fair share" in taxes. Cato is a cabal of Libertarians that ate only one degree removed from Ayn Rand's ideal, which was of course, enough to p!ss off Ayn Rand. Cato believes money is speech. Cato believes corporations are people.

I automatically cast aside Cato and their crappy ideology because what they purpose is a big money corporate aristocracy where greedheads like Koch, Murdock and perhaps even Soros dictate the limits of the lives of 95% of the population. Cato has the most regressive mindset of all. To be more regressive, they would have to advocate the return of the Czars.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
All off-topic posts have been deleted, get with the program guys and stop the nonsense in the regular forums!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Haiti isn't even listed.............
They must be living "High off the Hog".............

B in Santiago

Aug 6, 2006
Perhaps Cato did not wish to muddy its hands paying a visit to Haiti. I doubt that Haiti has that many statistics available. Most of the public buildings were destroyed by the earthquake, and the Haitian government probably has more pressing things to do than answer Cato's questionnaires.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Perhaps Cato did not wish to muddy its hands paying a visit to Haiti. I doubt that Haiti has that many statistics available. Most of the public buildings were destroyed by the earthquake, and the Haitian government probably has more pressing things to do than answer Cato's questionnaires.

Probably couldn't answer them as they probably have no idea of GDP.....etc.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
That in itself tells me how "valuable" this index is.
There is a paragraph at the bottom of the chart that explains why some countries were not included. Summary- not enough data.
Milton Freidman:
We economists don?t know much, but we do know how to create a shortage. If you want to create a shortage of tomatoes, for example, just pass a law that retailers can?t sell tomatoes for more than two cents per pound. Instantly you?ll have a tomato shortage. It?s the same with oil or gas."

He's right, and I think CATO is correct on many things as well. Of course OK is against them, they are against everything he stands for: Big government, unions control, welfare nanny state....etc.

Aug 6, 2006
It may be that Freeman was right about creating shortages of some things, but that has little to do with Cato's "study".
In Venezuela gasoline is around a dime a gallon, and there is enough to cause large amounts of Colombians to cross the border to buy it, so it does not seem to be in short supply.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Cato doesn't do a very good job of quantifying their results therefore their conclusions are little more that food for thought.

You want to know how to really differentiate between who's suffering the most and who's most well off? I have a theory I refer to as the Punani index. From country to country there is a variation in the cost of companionship and that cost is a direct link to the availability and value of jobs and the real cost of living in that country.

For some bean counter to show me a misery index from 1-100 with the lowest number meaning more misery, place Brazil at #7 and the D.R at #16 when I know damn good and well that the price of Pum-Pum in Brazil is at least 3x what it is in the D.R. tells me that poll info isn't worth the cost of compiling it. You have to judge any society by the state of it's child bearing age female population. That is where we find out how well off or not a society is.

Education, economic viability and every other indicator of the health of any society begins and ends with its Mami's. Educate and empower the Woman and you have educated and empowered the Family, the country and the region.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Cato doesn't do a very good job of quantifying their results therefore their conclusions are little more that food for thought.

You want to know how to really differentiate between who's suffering the most and who's most well off? I have a theory I refer to as the Punani index. From country to country there is a variation in the cost of companionship and that cost is a direct link to the availability and value of jobs and the real cost of living in that country.

For some bean counter to show me a misery index from 1-100 with the lowest number meaning more misery, place Brazil at #7 and the D.R at #16 when I know damn good and well that the price of Pum-Pum in Brazil is at least 3x what it is in the D.R. tells me that poll info isn't worth the cost of compiling it. You have to judge any society by the state of it's child bearing age female population. That is where we find out how well off or not a society is.

Education, economic viability and every other indicator of the health of any society begins and ends with its Mami's. Educate and empower the Woman and you have educated and empowered the Family, the country and the region.

Don't get confused between correlation and causality. Post hoc ergo propter hoc

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
It may be that Freeman was right about creating shortages of some things, but that has little to do with Cato's "study".
In Venezuela gasoline is around a dime a gallon, and there is enough to cause large amounts of Colombians to cross the border to buy it, so it does not seem to be in short supply.

Today gas is about the only thing that is not in short supply in Venezuela. Even though they are losing money on it!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

That depends on where in Brazil you are paying for your play.