That was easy... Perhaps a little too easy!

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Well, now that we are out of the country and into the big touristy area, I figured I should finally buy our placa. It took us six months to get the title for our Jungle Jalopy, and we just got it a couple weeks ago. Of course, ahorita struck and I didn't get the placa right away. We got pulled over in Sosua, and got a ticket! Time to get it.

Drove to Puerto Plata with all the stuff in hand and with my 'poco espanol' was quite surprised when I was in and out in twenty min sticker thingy in hand. It was fast, painless, and relatively inexpensive.

Got home, peeled off the sticker to put it on the window, and it says '2013'!

The barkeep at my new local watering hole tells me you have to buy one every year, if you miss a year you have to go back and pay for it before you can buy the current year. We've only owned the vehicle for 7 months.

Is my 2013 sticker worthless, and I now have to go back and buy another one? (Why wouldn't the lady at the counter just make me buy two years worth?)

Last edited:

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
ANd how much did you have to pay for it? I was told a couple of hundred pesos and 600 pesos and 1200, but when I got there they charged me 1800 pesos. I also didn't notice that it said 2013 until I already had it stuck to the windshield, but a neighbor who also owns a car said they are for 2 years and none are issued saying 2014. I hope he is right.
Der Fish

Yea, it was 1800 pesos. I was wondering about the 2014 stickers, as far as I can tell I haven't seen any. I'm keeping a lookout.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
LOL

May be they provided you with the most recent paid sticker. Did you own the vehicle for year 2013?

Most likely, it didn't have any stickers when we got it. Just bought it from a dealer in Moca last fall. Took six months to get the title from him!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the stickers are always dated back, so to speak: in 2014 you buy a sticker that says 2013. so yours is all good.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Sweet, that seems to be true. I did some looking at the new Pola (busy as hell already) and not one car had a 2014 sticker!

Tim Smith

Apr 28, 2014
The cost depends on the the year of the car. I had a car that was a 2000 and cost me 1200 but my 2011 cost me 1800 and 1600. Had to do 2 years as I used it in Haiti and did not buy one for 2 years. It has been every year up till now, have not heard about a skipped year for 2014. They did do an extra sticker you need to get. Its not costly, about 1 us dollar at the time they were doing inspections, but its for doing a census on cars more then anything. They will look all over the car for safety reflectors used in the roadway for emergencies, spare tire, jack and equipment to change the tire, lights and bla bla bla for a solid car inspection. I would advise everyone to get this as its another reason to harass you for pesos. In SD they will stop you if they see the driver not wearing a seat belt but not the passengers. its a 1000 peso ticket and they are keeping track now. There is a program you can get for a smart phone to look up your record and outstanding tickets... The DR has entered into modern age on some things. I am getting the name of the app now. Ill post that next.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It has the year on it in which it's being issued for 'existing' cars. That was in 2013. If you import a car before the 2014 stickers are issued you get the 2013 sticker. You'll have to get the 2014 sticker before the end of this year.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
drSix,

You probably paid 1800 RD$ because it included the 600 RD$ fine for late payment. 1200 RD$ for the placa and the late fine is600Rd$!

Olly and the Team