Moscas/flies in santiago wtf???

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Okay, whats the story with flies here in Santiago? We have many flies buzzing around, the kitchen is loaded with them! We are very clean people, dishes are cleaned etc after dinner...I even tried wiping down the cabinets and counters with Clorox, still they are all over the place...Disgusting and so annoying while your eating. And don't dare to put your drink down with nothing covering it, its theirs!! They just love coffee!!

I did look to see if we had a basement, was going to chop through the floor to see if hell was below (Amityville Horror) Maybe call a priest, have the house blessed??

Anyone else?? if so, what are you doing to get rid of them? Begone is all good, but just a temporary fix for about 30 minutes...And I thought Hormiga's (Ant's) were bad....I cannot think of anything that is attracting them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhhH68UXj_M

I'm interested in watching this video but can't, Claro has dedicated 1MBPS for us but lucky if I get 1/2 that like now, cannot play videos at this time...Going Rambo on them soon!

Anthony

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I like the old fashioned hanging fly paper. Before they developed my neighborhood we had cow pastures nearby and ended up screening all the windows as a solution.

May 5, 2007
I've often wondered why window screens are not a standard part of windows here.
Der Fish

My turn to help you Deryl: It's like when you didn’t understand that the end of the air conditioner that blew hot air was supposed to be pointed OUT The window, screens would keep the flies from leaving the house and going outside

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
May 5, 2007
Oh, Thanks. I'd hate to keep the flies from leaving if they wanna go outside.
Der Fish

Good man there Deryl an idea for you: I often see posters on DR1 offering puppies and kittens, I think they would be better pets for you than flies?

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Dominicans think they 'block the breeze'. My in-laws looked at me like I had 3 heads when we replaced our windows and ordered screens for all of them. I use "Magic Mesh" screen curtains on the front and back doors, cuts down on both flies and mosquitos.

Amazon.com: Magic Mesh Hands-Free Screen Door: Home Improvement

Had them as Priority 1 in my recent trip to the homeland. Packed 3 sets in my return maleta and the first thing I did was install them when I got back. They don't exactly function as advertised but w/minor modifications they do just fine. The 3 were for 3 terrace doors. I'm now looking for solutions for the smaller kitchen and bathroom (2) windows.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Always wondered if that magic mesh curtains really worked. Even with the screens Dominicans do not close doors and the housekeeper always slid the screen open when it got hot in the kitchen so the flies got in anyway. Now I know why. The cows moved and now its much less flies.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
I think we can fill a 2 liter coke bottle, going to try that and Vinegar....Thank You!!

Anthony

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I've often wondered why window screens are not a standard part of windows here.
Der Fish

When I bought my apartment I asked to have screens put on all windows. Best thing I ever did. Don't know how people do without them. Little chiggers and mosquitos ever night would be intolerable.

LTSteve

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We found cleaning & wiping counters with pine disinfectant does a credible job of reducing fly populations.

Certainly cleaning the dog poop from the yard diligently is also a huge help.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Always wondered if that magic mesh curtains really worked.

They work very well. The one on our back door has problems sometimes because the door frame is metal - so we couldn't use the tacks that come with it, and if someone flings the curtain too roughly the magnet sometimes gets caught on the metal frame. Front door curtain has been there 3 years, still works perfectly. I think I paid $5-8 each for them, best $$ I ever spent.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
That's annoying & nasty.

We have screens and it does seem like the air does not circulate through the house.
I think our screen mesh is not standard or too thick.

Here is a simply do-it-yourself fly trap made with a plastic coke bottle.
This will at least lure the flies away from your food.

How to Make Your Own Simple Fly Trap

Ciao!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I sit in "My Chair" from early morning until after sundown, the time when flies are most active!
I have a can of "RAID" in my right hand at all times.
I an ready to"Spray" at a second's notice!
Each workday I sent dozens of flies to their "Maker"!
After doing this for over 15 years, we have almost ZERO flies coming into our house now.
"WORD GETS OUT"!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Actually, it's the same answer as the question of, "What determines the value of real estate"??????
"Location,Location,Location"!

May 29, 2006
Check the outside garbage cans and dumpster. Clean them twice a week for two weeks by rinsing them with a little bleach in water. It takes 3-6 days for eggs to hatch out and turn into adults and you need to keep it up to stop any flies out there from having a place to breed. It's a good place to put your traps as well.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Dominicans think they 'block the breeze'. My in-laws looked at me like I had 3 heads when we replaced our windows and ordered screens for all of them. I use "Magic Mesh" screen curtains on the front and back doors, cuts down on both flies and mosquitos.

Amazon.com: Magic Mesh Hands-Free Screen Door: Home Improvement

There is a little truth to that claim. We recently added screens to our place as the mosquitos had become unbearable. The screens do block some of the wind but not enough for me to care about. What I wasn't anticipating was the significant reduction in dust in the house. Well worth the cost.

In response to the OP. We've noticed a recent increase in the number of black flies in Bavaro over the past month or so. In the 5 years we've been here, flies had been virtually nonexistent until now. Not sure what has triggered the change.