Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Dominicans love to bite the hand that feeds them

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Some Dominicans love to bite the hand that feeds them

Do you guys remember the first house that I rented when I came to DR? In Vista Linda, and I loved that house. It was not perfect but I loved my neighborhood and neighbors.
    If you will remember, they started to pressure me to buy the house. I came here and explained and got great advice and decided not to buy the house, at least not at that time.
    I offered to continue to rent the house and allow them to put a FOR SALE sign out front and offered 3 days per week that they could show the house. They refused and wanted me out of the house at the end of the lease because according to them, they wanted to sell the house quickly (a brother apparently had issues in the Capital and needed money) and they said that they had many people interested already in buying the house.

Sadly, I moved. I say sadly because I did not want to, my neighborhood was awesome, but alas, I had no choice. It was either buy the house or move out.

When I went to return the keys after, I saw the FOR SALE sign. The Encargada told me she had already several people wanting the house.

My old neighbor (a Suizo....muy buena gente) showed me now a picture of the house he took last week. The FOR SALE sign is still there....and next to it a sign that says FOR RENT. He says they just put the FOR RENT sign up. A year later. House has been empty since I left.

Such idiots.

SHALENA

2. Likes bilko, Harleysrock, nordique, waytogo, frank12 and 4 others liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Greedy Folks

Quote Originally Posted by SKing View Post
    Such idiots.
    SHALENA
    Yes. But you are not surprised, are you?

They will now raise the price to make up for the loss in rent...

Greed damages brain.

donP

4. Likes Lothario666, waytogo, SKing, frank12 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think it was solely greed. I think they were trying to give you the impending sense of urgency sell. That and some improper or rash advice from some other source(which I think is more frequent that anyone will admit to) telling them what they could get or how they could sell it to you at what would be probably 300% over any real interested party would see fit to pay. Or maybe it is just greed? Haha.
    In any event, that residence is just one of thousands in Santiago that are in great locations and vacant.

6. Likes SKing liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

brain? i wonder if they have any brain at all , they prefer to leave the house empty and no income, rather than rent at a price that the tenant is willing to pay, even a person with brain damage never do business this way,go figure,

8. Likes Criss Colon, rogerjac liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless another crazy gringo comes along, they won't even get what I was paying in rent (20,000rd). The house to the left of me rented for 12,000rd and most in the area between 8,000rd-12,000rd. I loved that area, if I live long enough to ever buy my solar and construct (if my job doesn't kill me first) I will look in that area, or where I'm living now (which I doubt I will be able to afford).

My problem is comparing DR prices to US prices. At the time, 20,000rd (which was $500 at that time) was a steal to me seeing as I pay $600/mo for a 12x12 room that I rent here in the Bronx to come and work.
    They saw me coming a mile away, and I had a sense of urgency to move as I was staying with a friend (with 3 kids).

My hairdresser said she enquired about the house just to tease them, the Encargada (who lives only 2 blocks away) said that it is renting for 17,000rd and my hairdresser said "17,000 pesos?" and then the Encargada said "Pues. si estas interesada, podemos hablar y llegar a un acuerdo"

HaHa. I think I knew it would happen but also being a little naive to the acting skills of Dominicans, I really honestly thought they had people ready to buy the house the moment I left.

SHALENA

10. Likes Commander Ooh La La, USN liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    I can show you an empty house that my friend rented for $450 a month, and paid every month early etc. BUt the landlady was told it was worth $600.00 USD, and has been sitting empty for 18 months. I drove someone by to look at it about 6 weeks ago and he offered her $500.00 but no she is holding out for $600.00.
    Der Fish
    Otra Idiota

SHALENA

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

4 years ago I was renting an apartment in La Trinitaria, Santiago.
    I was paying 20,000 DP per month..............
    When the lease expired I opted for a single family house in El EnSueno.
    The apartment has NEVER been re-rented and after the 2nd year of sitting vacant..............
    The rent was raised to 30,000 DP per month.............
    I guess they will be raising the rent again soon..............
    Brilliant business minds at work............

B in Santiago

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I still call it greed.

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo View Post
    ... they will be raising the rent again soon....
    I have seen it ever so often:

A gringa/o rents a shop.
    The owner sees that more than 2 customers go there in a day.
    He can't sleep any more, because he has obviously let a gold mine for so little.
    He raises the rent asap.
    The gringo moves out.
    The 'gold mine' stays empty.
    The landlord can't sleep any more....
    He must raise the rent to make up for the time/money lost.
    The 'gold mine' remains empty.

Those gringos must be stupid.

donP

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Dominican math and logic eludes me.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKing View Post
    Unless another crazy gringo comes along, they won't even get what I was paying in rent (20,000rd). The house to the left of me rented for 12,000rd and most in the area between 8,000rd-12,000rd. I loved that area, if I live long enough to ever buy my solar and construct (if my job doesn't kill me first) I will look in that area, or where I'm living now (which I doubt I will be able to afford).

My problem is comparing DR prices to US prices. At the time, 20,000rd (which was $500 at that time) was a steal to me seeing as I pay $600/mo for a 12x12 room that I rent here in the Bronx to come and work.
    They saw me coming a mile away, and I had a sense of urgency to move as I was staying with a friend (with 3 kids).

My hairdresser said she enquired about the house just to tease them, the Encargada (who lives only 2 blocks away) said that it is renting for 17,000rd and my hairdresser said "17,000 pesos?" and then the Encargada said "Pues. si estas interesada, podemos hablar y llegar a un acuerdo"

HaHa. I think I knew it would happen but also being a little naive to the acting skills of Dominicans, I really honestly thought they had people ready to buy the house the moment I left.

SHALENA
    thats how they get you, comparing NY and Miami prices but nothing else.

16. Likes Africaida liked this post
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast