Some Dominicans love to bite the hand that feeds them

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Do you guys remember the first house that I rented when I came to DR? In Vista Linda, and I loved that house. It was not perfect but I loved my neighborhood and neighbors.
If you will remember, they started to pressure me to buy the house. I came here and explained and got great advice and decided not to buy the house, at least not at that time.
I offered to continue to rent the house and allow them to put a FOR SALE sign out front and offered 3 days per week that they could show the house. They refused and wanted me out of the house at the end of the lease because according to them, they wanted to sell the house quickly (a brother apparently had issues in the Capital and needed money) and they said that they had many people interested already in buying the house.

Sadly, I moved. I say sadly because I did not want to, my neighborhood was awesome, but alas, I had no choice. It was either buy the house or move out.

When I went to return the keys after, I saw the FOR SALE sign. The Encargada told me she had already several people wanting the house.

My old neighbor (a Suizo....muy buena gente) showed me now a picture of the house he took last week. The FOR SALE sign is still there....and next to it a sign that says FOR RENT. He says they just put the FOR RENT sign up. A year later. House has been empty since I left.

Such idiots.

SHALENA

Apr 7, 2014
I dont think it was solely greed. I think they were trying to give you the impending sense of urgency sell. That and some improper or rash advice from some other source(which I think is more frequent that anyone will admit to) telling them what they could get or how they could sell it to you at what would be probably 300% over any real interested party would see fit to pay. Or maybe it is just greed? Haha.
In any event, that residence is just one of thousands in Santiago that are in great locations and vacant.

nordique

Apr 6, 2012
brain? i wonder if they have any brain at all , they prefer to leave the house empty and no income, rather than rent at a price that the tenant is willing to pay, even a person with brain damage never do business this way,go figure,

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Unless another crazy gringo comes along, they won't even get what I was paying in rent (20,000rd). The house to the left of me rented for 12,000rd and most in the area between 8,000rd-12,000rd. I loved that area, if I live long enough to ever buy my solar and construct (if my job doesn't kill me first) I will look in that area, or where I'm living now (which I doubt I will be able to afford).

My problem is comparing DR prices to US prices. At the time, 20,000rd (which was $500 at that time) was a steal to me seeing as I pay $600/mo for a 12x12 room that I rent here in the Bronx to come and work.
They saw me coming a mile away, and I had a sense of urgency to move as I was staying with a friend (with 3 kids).

My hairdresser said she enquired about the house just to tease them, the Encargada (who lives only 2 blocks away) said that it is renting for 17,000rd and my hairdresser said "17,000 pesos?" and then the Encargada said "Pues. si estas interesada, podemos hablar y llegar a un acuerdo"

HaHa. I think I knew it would happen but also being a little naive to the acting skills of Dominicans, I really honestly thought they had people ready to buy the house the moment I left.

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I can show you an empty house that my friend rented for $450 a month, and paid every month early etc. BUt the landlady was told it was worth $600.00 USD, and has been sitting empty for 18 months. I drove someone by to look at it about 6 weeks ago and he offered her $500.00 but no she is holding out for $600.00.
Der Fish

Otra Idiota

SHALENA

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
4 years ago I was renting an apartment in La Trinitaria, Santiago.
I was paying 20,000 DP per month..............
When the lease expired I opted for a single family house in El EnSueno.
The apartment has NEVER been re-rented and after the 2nd year of sitting vacant..............
The rent was raised to 30,000 DP per month.............
I guess they will be raising the rent again soon..............
Brilliant business minds at work............

B in Santiago

donP

Dec 14, 2008
I still call it greed.

... they will be raising the rent again soon....

I have seen it ever so often:

A gringa/o rents a shop.
The owner sees that more than 2 customers go there in a day.
He can't sleep any more, because he has obviously let a gold mine for so little.
He raises the rent asap.
The gringo moves out.
The 'gold mine' stays empty.
The landlord can't sleep any more....
He must raise the rent to make up for the time/money lost.
The 'gold mine' remains empty.

Those gringos must be stupid. :D

donP

Apr 7, 2014
Unless another crazy gringo comes along, they won't even get what I was paying in rent (20,000rd). The house to the left of me rented for 12,000rd and most in the area between 8,000rd-12,000rd. I loved that area, if I live long enough to ever buy my solar and construct (if my job doesn't kill me first) I will look in that area, or where I'm living now (which I doubt I will be able to afford).

My problem is comparing DR prices to US prices. At the time, 20,000rd (which was $500 at that time) was a steal to me seeing as I pay $600/mo for a 12x12 room that I rent here in the Bronx to come and work.
They saw me coming a mile away, and I had a sense of urgency to move as I was staying with a friend (with 3 kids).

My hairdresser said she enquired about the house just to tease them, the Encargada (who lives only 2 blocks away) said that it is renting for 17,000rd and my hairdresser said "17,000 pesos?" and then the Encargada said "Pues. si estas interesada, podemos hablar y llegar a un acuerdo"

HaHa. I think I knew it would happen but also being a little naive to the acting skills of Dominicans, I really honestly thought they had people ready to buy the house the moment I left.

SHALENA

thats how they get you, comparing NY and Miami prices but nothing else.

Apr 7, 2014
4 years ago I was renting an apartment in La Trinitaria, Santiago.
I was paying 20,000 DP per month..............
When the lease expired I opted for a single family house in El EnSueno.
The apartment has NEVER been re-rented and after the 2nd year of sitting vacant..............
The rent was raised to 30,000 DP per month.............
I guess they will be raising the rent again soon..............
Brilliant business minds at work............

B in Santiago

El EnSueno is cool. More modest anyway. Trinitytown is overrated, more than half the units in the older buildings are vacant, likewise for the newer construction...albeit it is a beautiful place with awesome views and whatnot. But in the end, you never get to know your neighbors because you seldom have any.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
El EnSueno is cool. More modest anyway. Trinitytown is overrated, more than half the units in the older buildings are vacant, likewise for the newer construction...albeit it is a beautiful place with awesome views and whatnot. But in the end, you never get to know your neighbors because you seldom have any.

That's a problem?

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR

Actually my apartment was perfect...........
3 large bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms, + smaller bedroom for the housekeeper................
Plus 24/7 security.........
Cons.....no Colmados, no conchos, no street venders........nada......
The house I am in is a small 3 bedroom, 2 full bath in a great area............
4 Colmados within a one minute walk..........
Taxi stand within a one minute walk............
Conchos less than a one minute walk............
Pan Lucky Bakery within a one minute walk..........
Street vendors up the ying yang.............which I love.........
All the conveniences and I pay 8 Mil a month.........
Life is good...........:bunny::bunny:

B in Santiago

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Some lovely houses where I live have been "FOR SALE", and/or "For Rent" for as long as I can remember.
I can't understand how a Dominican who is ALWAYS interested in getting his money as fast as possible in every other context, will leave a rental property vacant for YEARS rater than drop the monthly rental by a few thousand pesos, say from 40,000 to 37,000 ?????
Is it actually humanly possible that they "Can't Do The Math"??????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Actually my apartment was perfect...........
3 large bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms, + smaller bedroom for the housekeeper................
Plus 24/7 security.........
Cons.....no Colmados, no conchos, no street venders........nada......
The house I am in is a small 3 bedroom, 2 full bath in a great area............
4 Colmados within a one minute walk..........
Taxi stand within a one minute walk............
Conchos less than a one minute walk............
Pan Lucky Bakery within a one minute walk..........
Street vendors up the ying yang.............which I love.........
All the conveniences and I pay 8 Mil a month.........
Life is good...........:bunny::bunny:

B in Santiago

8 mil? holy jeezus. i pay more for a 1 bedroom apartment..

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
8 mil? holy jeezus. i pay more for a 1 bedroom apartment..

And...........1500 DP per month for electricity.....500DP for water.......
I use a lot of electricity, just no a/c.......find it not necessary........
And I use a lot of water..............A LOT.......

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC........eat your heart out..............lol

B in Santiago

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
I can show you an empty house that my friend rented for $450 a month, and paid every month early etc. BUt the landlady was told it was worth $600.00 USD, and has been sitting empty for 18 months. I drove someone by to look at it about 6 weeks ago and he offered her $500.00 but no she is holding out for $600.00.
Der Fish

These are, indeed, behaviors, not understood by the ( COMMON LITTLE HUMAN BEINGS) ! I do not get it either! SMh

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have learned that everything is negotiable. The secret is not being afraid to walk away. When I negotiate rent or the price of a high ticket item and I can't get near my upper limit, I say thank you, inform them of my backup plan to procure the same item or type of property elsewhere, pause for no longer than 15 seconds, hand them a card with my cell # and inform them they have 10 minutes to change their mind. I then leave heading in the direction of my backup plan.

Not always 100% successful, but you find out really quickly if the vendor is motivated.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Best of luck with that plan here!
Der Fish

It works most of the time for me in the DR. I've successfully negotiated with professionals and pvt citizens alike. I don't always come out on top but I usually end up within my comfort zone. Maybe I need to start a negotiating business, no on second thought I really don't want to work anymore. :)