Ikea's services

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
Finally moving! Does Ikea install curtains? Also, do they assist with constructing their furniture?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Finally moving! Does Ikea install curtains? Also, do they assist with constructing their furniture?

I went to Ikea and asked if they will construct their furniture. Answer was no. Doubt very much they do curtains eilther.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
They seem to have an assembly service. At least that is posted on their webpage. Servicio de Ensamblaje - IKEA Santo Domingo

I happen to like Ikea furniture. I like the lines, I like the look as do millions around the world. I am not a fan of overstuffed mahagony which is what seems to be available on the rest of the market. And, if I do not like in ten years, I can change it without feeling awful.

I did not have much luck with a book case that I bought which was evidently not field tested with actual books and sorta split at the bottom. But the chairs and sofa beds have been fine.

Don't know about the curtains but I hung mine with their cable assembly which works very well on the odd corner windows.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Curtain installation is a little involved but doable. I installed IKEA panels and pleated. It involved maintaining level and choosing the correct height for the bar. If you are in Santiago I can help you.

Assembly of IKEA furniture is easy because of the good documentation.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
according to ikea page they have assembly service, you can "buy" that option when making a purchase. but putting it together is very easy, i bought from them in the UK and here and always did all the work myself. very simple.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
They seem to have an assembly service. At least that is posted on their webpage. Servicio de Ensamblaje - IKEA Santo Domingo

I happen to like Ikea furniture. I like the lines, I like the look as do millions around the world. I am not a fan of overstuffed mahagony which is what seems to be available on the rest of the market. And, if I do not like in ten years, I can change it without feeling awful.

I did not have much luck with a book case that I bought which was evidently not field tested with actual books and sorta split at the bottom. But the chairs and sofa beds have been fine.

Don't know about the curtains but I hung mine with their cable assembly which works very well on the odd corner windows.

I would say in 2-3 years.
I am the less handy person on the planet and I can assemble IKEA furniture myself and even installed curtains rods. I hate it, but it s not rocket science.
In DR, I would just pay someone to do it.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
well, Aida, I don't have kids so mine lasts perhaps longer... and I am retired so perhaps more thrifty! I have already HAD the chairs for four years.

True. With Ikea, it varies, I have had a dining room table for 4 years, the table still looks great despite my children's abuse but the chairs are showing their age (they were the cheapest). Other items are doing fine, some I had to tighten parts here and there, others they are on the sidewalks.

May 29, 2006
IKEA has some good products, but avoid anything made with particle board in the DR. The humidity will cause it to sag.

May 29, 2006
My folks bought a nice pair of hardwood rocking chairs in the DR something like 40 years ago. They needed re-caning about 20 years back, otherwise, they're like new. The good stuff in the DR seems to be made by a handful of craftsmen, not in factories of any kind.