Anyone ship in a motorcycle?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr. AE has decided he wants to buy a [used] motorcycle and ship it to DR.

Has anyone actually done this?

Someone has told him it can be done through mundanza door-to-door, but that sounds wrong to me. No aduana???? How could you ever register it?

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Mr. AE has decided he wants to buy a [used] motorcycle and ship it to DR.

Has anyone actually done this?

Someone has told him it can be done through mundanza door-to-door, but that sounds wrong to me. No aduana???? How could you ever register it?
I believe cobraboy can speak to this.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I may have some 2008 V-Strom DL650's for sale shortly.

I didn't ship them in. We bought the fleet through Bonanza.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I know less than nothing about motorcycles - he's looking at Hondas. CB I'll tell him about your bikes...

Soooooo.... do I understand this is NOT something that can be shipped door-to-door via mundanza with no aduana????

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I know less than nothing about motorcycles - he's looking at Hondas. CB I'll tell him about your bikes...

Soooooo.... do I understand this is NOT something that can be shipped door-to-door via mundanza with no aduana????

forget the no aduana thing. i wanted to bring an Aprillia RSV Mille R that i got for a song in NY, and sell it to a rico. aduana wanted 138,000 pesos. sold it to a guy from Atlanta.

May 5, 2007
forget the no aduana thing. i wanted to bring an Aprillia RSV Mille R that i got for a song in NY, and sell it to a rico. aduana wanted 138,000 pesos. sold it to a guy from Atlanta.

Ahh, exotic bikes That would have been great to own and ride in the DR. I thought about importing my Innocenti Lambretta 1250 but it was too much, sold it to a guy from Savannah just last year

The cost to import the Mclaren F1 was surprisingly low but I thought better of using it on the poor roads of the DR so I sold it to a guy from Turkey Foot Kentucky

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Ahh, exotic bikes That would have been great to own and ride in the DR. I thought about importing my Innocenti Lambretta 1250 but it was too much, sold it to a guy from Savannah just last year

The cost to import the Mclaren F1 was surprisingly low but I thought better of using it on the poor roads of the DR so I sold it to a guy from Turkey Foot Kentucky
I was gonna import a few Warpspeed 1200X's, but that darn Adaunas was going to charge me RD$256,000,000,000,000 so I opted out.

Traded it to a guy for a Turbanated Flux Capacitor, a Ouija Board and 55gal. drum of Blinker Fluid.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

i never said anything about riding any bike. never have, never will. a guy from Vegas abandoned it on Fordham Road, and i bought it on a storage lien for something like 20% of the value. i figured some rich dude in the DR might have been interested, but the aduana ruined that idea.

May 5, 2007
i never said anything about riding any bike. never have, never will. a guy from Vegas abandoned it on Fordham Road, and i bought it on a storage lien for something like 20% of the value. i figured some rich dude in the DR might have been interested, but the aduana ruined that idea.

Smart man, would have been a good way to pick up a few bucks. Sorry to hear about never experiencing riding a good bike on a twisty back road, great experience I started out with a Honda CB 450 but Caf? ?racing? was all the rage in the 80?s so I picked up a leftover Ducati 860. Great time

Imagine, abandoning a bike like that beside the road, unbelievable What was it worth back then?
Trying to stay on topic here, I realize ?Aduana? (Is that the word for Dominican Customs?) tries to protect domestic companies but so little is available locally it makes importing many things necessary

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Smart man, would have been a good way to pick up a few bucks. Sorry to hear about never experiencing riding a good bike on a twisty back road, great experience I started out with a Honda CB 450 but Caf?’ “racing” was all the rage in the 80’s so I picked up a leftover Ducati 860. Great time

Imagine, abandoning a bike like that beside the road, unbelievable What was it worth back then?
Trying to stay on topic here, I realize “Aduana” (Is that the word for Dominican Customs?) tries to protect domestic companies but so little is available locally it makes importing many things necessary

i am not riding a bike anywhere, let alone the back roads of the DR. the guy who abandoned the bike had no idea of owning it. he put down a small downpayment on it, and rode it from Vegas to NY. he stepped off it in the Bronx, and my friend has the rights to pick up improperly parked vehicles in the Bronx. nobody responded to the lien paperwork, and i ended up owning it.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006

A guy I ride with owns one of those. Nice bike. Fun to ride. But an absolute b&%$h to maintain. Parts are hella expensive. And not every bike shop will work on them. My buddy knows of only a few here in the Washington, DC area. And per their website, there are no Aprilia dealers in the DR. Good luck finding a bike mechanic trained to work on them there.

I think you unknowingly saved yourself a headache.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A guy I ride with owns one of those. Nice bike. Fun to ride. But an absolute b&%$h to maintain. Parts are hella expensive. And not every bike shop will work on them. My buddy knows of only a few here in the Washington, DC area. And per their website, there are no Aprilia dealers in the DR. Good luck finding a bike mechanic trained to work on them there.

I think you unknowingly saved yourself a headache.

corsair, i had no intention of keeping it. i thought some rich hijo de mami y papi would buy it to impress the ladies. then i went to the racetrack at Las Americas, and saw about 3 Aprilias.

May 5, 2007
corsair, i had no intention of keeping it. i thought some rich hijo de mami y papi would buy it to impress the ladies. then i went to the racetrack at Las Americas, and saw about 3 Aprilias.

I didn’t realize M/C racing was that big in the DR Do they race MP, superbike or ? at Las Americas?

Haven’t had that much interest in bike racing, have seen a couple at Daytona and Loudon but hard to see. Are the sight lines And proximity to track good ?

I always wondered something: When they bring those bikes/cars in to race I assume they must be somehow bonded or similar to avoid any type of fees from adunas?

Wasn’t there a young lady who raced bikes posting on here a while back?

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006

I'm not surprised that they are being imported. I'm just wondering who the owners are paying to maintain them. The Italian racing bikes are very fickle mistresses. They require unique, expensive maintenance. Ducattis are notoriously expensive to maintain. I remember not too long ago, a guy did a blog about his first 1k miles on his Monster 696, which isn't even one of their finely tuned racing beasts. He listed his maintenance costs, and they were hideous.

With Aprilia, you're also dealing with exclusivity, and few folks outside of the dealers that can actually work on them. I'm thinking of upgrading to a liter bike. And I was considering the Tuono, Aprilia's semi-naked liter bike. However, the dealer nearest me stopped selling and servicing Aprilias. The same dealer boasts a certified Ducatti mechanic. But he won't even touch Aprilias. Long story short, I decided that, while I don't mind driving for an hour to purchase a bike. I'd rather not have to go that far, or pay towing costs, every time I wanted to get my bike serviced.

Maybe, there are Aprilia mechanics in the DR. However, I wouldn't put it past some of the rich jevitos to import a bike with no thought at all to maintaining it.

May 5, 2007
Ducattis are notoriously expensive to maintain. I remember not too long ago, a guy did a blog about his first 1k miles on his Monster 696, which isn't even one of their finely tuned racing beasts. He listed his maintenance costs, and they were hideous.

Ducati is a strange breed. My 860 educated me ( I should have known something when I bought a bike made in 1979 in april of 1983), one of the selling points was the fine craftsmanship of power unit, balance a nickel on edge beside the cylinder head and run it up to 8000 rpm and never move it. They even used a glass shot process to polish INSIDE of casing. The problems were they forgot everything else I fondly watched the odometer as my new bike rolled over from 99.8 to 100 miles and complete electrical failure Thankfully it ran on a magneto so I wasn’t stranded Ducati had used a system similar to the old VW Beetle fuses, a piece of fusible material stretched over a small hunk of porcelain served as a fuse, set in a plastic tub with no cover under the seat and add rain, guess what The clutch cable let go around 500 mile, was 2 weeks getting a new And the clutch, it had this monstrous single plate dry clutch that quickly build muscles in your left arm Paint just peeled off the fenders while it sat, rims rusted first year, seat ripped in about 4 places but damm that engine ran smooth!

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Smart man, would have been a good way to pick up a few bucks. Sorry to hear about never experiencing riding a good bike on a twisty back road, great experience I started out with a Honda CB 450 but Caf?’ “racing” was all the rage in the 80’s so I picked up a leftover Ducati 860. Great time

Trying to stay on topic here, I realize “Aduana” (Is that the word for Dominican Customs?) tries to protect domestic companies but so little is available locally it makes importing many things necessary

Customs here isn't so much about protecting domestic companies as it is in ripping people off and payoffs that depend upon the whim of the moment. Sure you can use a door to door shipper. If they want the job, they will provide you with a quote that includes all charges including customs duties. Will it be worth it? Probably not.