Renting an apartment in Santiago and leaving it unattended 4 months in a year

expat748

Oct 6, 2012
Is this a stupid idea and I will find my apartment emptied when I return? I am planning to rent in the nicer part of Santiago.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Will you be near the Monument.............
I am out and about almost every day and if you are somewhat close.............
I can check on it regularly for you..........
Not a problem...............

Answer to your question............
You are always shooting craps here...........

B in Santiago

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
expat748, i'll be following this thread cuz that is a possible scenario for me. i hope santigueros give the info you seek.

Apr 7, 2014
depends on where you live. apartment buildings are better suited for that than houses are. And the better the apartment building the more amenities it will have with respect to security. Gated entries, watchies with 12 gauge shotguns, possibly 2 locked doors before you can access the lobby of the building with another gate to either to your floor or your door. Then with bars and whatnot on the window if you live above any scalable floor then you should be fine as long as you possess all the keys.

And also considering that you dont have any roommates or live in companions you should do fine.

Apr 7, 2014
depends on where you live. apartment buildings are better suited for that than houses are. And the better the apartment building the more amenities it will have with respect to security. Gated entries, watchies with 12 gauge shotguns, possibly 2 locked doors before you can access the lobby of the building with another gate to either to your floor or your door. Then with bars and whatnot on the window if you live above any scalable floor then you should be fine as long as you possess all the keys.

And also considering that you dont have any roommates or live in companions you should do fine.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You could always get cameras for your place so you could watch what is going on while you are gone, wouldn't really help if something happened I guess but at least you could look whenever you wanted to?

Then post it on YouTube as a series!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Just remember too when you leave for an extended period to turn off the breakers on the electric and any shutoffs on the water.Also it will get damp and humid in the apartment. You can buy a product which will absorb the moisture but generally you will have to wash any clothing or linens left to get out the smell. If you don't have apartment renters insurance you may want to consider this also.

LTSTeve

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I would only recommend such an arrangement in the high end apartment buildings as the neighbours will be your biggest threat. As they say location....location???

Apr 7, 2014
Just remember too when you leave for an extended period to turn off the breakers on the electric and any shutoffs on the water.Also it will get damp and humid in the apartment. You can buy a product which will absorb the moisture but generally you will have to wash any clothing or linens left to get out the smell. If you don't have apartment renters insurance you may want to consider this also.

LTSTeve

a. damp and humid? In concrete construction?

b. baking soda absorbs odors and smells and moisture and is very cheap.

expat748

Oct 6, 2012
Will you be near the Monument.............
I am out and about almost every day and if you are somewhat close.............
I can check on it regularly for you..........
Not a problem...............

Answer to your question............
You are always shooting craps here...........

B in Santiago

Thanks!! I don't have an apartment yet.
Which neighborhood in Santiago is considered the safest?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Thanks!! I don't have an apartment yet.
Which neighborhood in Santiago is considered the safest?

I can't give you an answer for this.............
I am personally familiar with La Trinitaria and El Ensueno............
I have found both to be safe, with La Trinitaria the safer of the two............
Others will soon chime in with their opinions............

B in Santiago

expat748

Oct 6, 2012
I would only recommend such an arrangement in the high end apartment buildings as the neighbours will be your biggest threat. As they say location....location???

How much it cost to rent a 1 or 2 bedrooms apartment in a high end building in Santiago? My budget is $500 to $900 per month, will it be enough?

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
How much it cost to rent a 1 or 2 bedrooms apartment in a high end building in Santiago? My budget is $500 to $900 per month, will it be enough?

You should be fine with that range. Anywhere in La Trinitaria, La Esmeralda, Cerros de Gurabo, Villa Olga, some of Los Jardines. You want a building that has an elevator and a backup generator.