What would you do? - cleaning lady advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Hummmm where to begin....

I have an apt in Santiago. I visit frequently. I am using a cleaning lady who goes to clean a day before I arrive and a day after I leave. She came highly recommended by some very close friends who have been using her for the past 15 years. She has keys to the apt.

Recently one of those friends told me that he had 3 watches gone missing. He also told me that for some time his wife's jewelry has also gone missing (little things here and there). They decided to part ways with this cleaning lady.

Putting aside how nice she is I have never had anything gone missing in my apt. But, when I think about it I don't really have anything of value there. Only shoes, clothes and your general housewares like blender, iron, coffee maker etc.

Would you keep her or let her go?

I am really at a bind here. I used 2 cleaning ladies before and the were HORRIBLE to say the least. Did not clean up to my expectations. This cleaning lady goes above and beyond every single time she cleans.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'd get rid of her. If she was fired by your close friends for stealing she expects being fired by you too and might do what politicians do when their term is almost over.

And besides, nothing worse than having someone in your house you can't trust. Anything you can't find you'll think it was her.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I say keep her. For one thing, you never know who it is who it is taking your friend's stuff...could be his wife, could be friends of his wife, could be his kids, friends of kids, etc.

Why terminate someone if they have done nothing wrong. Misinformation and rumors are king on this island.

Frank

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Getting a new one might result in more problems. If she hasn't taken anything from you keep her for now.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If you keep her, just make sure you don't leave anything in there you wouldn't want to lose.

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
I find this strange. Your friends employed this woman for 15 years, and just recently things have gone missing? And they naturally blame her? Where is the evidence?

I say keep her. You have nothing of value in the apartment anyway, and I think she is being judged unfairly.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
If you keep her, just make sure you don't leave anything in there you wouldn't want to lose.

On the contrary, leave a stack of Domincan money--say 3 or 4 thousand pesos in small bills. Double count it to make sure you know exactly how much it is--and then recount it a few days later.

Very simple. You'll have your answer right away.

Frank

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
All - thanks for the input.

I was leaning towards keeping her but wanted to see what you all thought.

I have a safe in my closet and I once forgot to put left over money in there. I had about 2,000 pesos which I left in one of my drawers and when I came back the money was there.

I guess only time will tell......

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
All - thanks for the input.

I was leaning towards keeping her but wanted to see what you all thought.

I have a safe in my closet and I once forgot to put left over money in there. I had about 2,000 pesos which I left in one of my drawers and when I came back the money was there.

I guess only time will tell......

Is the safe bolted down? It can sometimes be more tempting than any money lying around...

Apr 13, 2011
I say that you should talk with the maid, let her know that you heard about the situation with your friend. She will most likely tell you that it was not her that stole the watches (even if it was her)... But, the conversation will be your warning statement to her. Then, if something does get stolen from your apartment, you could have means to fire her with cause after you have given her adequate warning. But - it also gives you an opportunity to let her know that you like her service - and by showing her this respect and loyalty, she may also return the respect and loyalty to you.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Does she know that your friend told you she stole from him?
I say keep her. 15 years and she all of a sudden starts stealing? hmmm
Maybe she was taking a helper with her and that helper is the crook?

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
I'd say keep her. If the friend didn't catch her red handed he doesn't know. Maybe talk to her and assure her that you are aware that she was fired by your friend, but you haven't had any reason to follow suit, SO FAR!
Der Fish

Good advice. Letting her know I know of the situation.

May 5, 2007
Sounds a bit odd tha three watches would go missing all at once. Perhaps someone else is looking for a fall guy/woman?

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Does she know that your friend told you she stole from him?
I say keep her. 15 years and she all of a sudden starts stealing? hmmm
Maybe she was taking a helper with her and that helper is the crook?

She doesn't know that I know YET. I will talk to her about it. She cleans solo all the time.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Safes are dangerous. Agree with Frank 12. Leave a little trap and that way you get your answer rock solid. Otherwise you will always wonder until she or her boyfriend steal something.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
On the contrary, leave a stack of Domincan money--say 3 or 4 thousand pesos in small bills. Double count it to make sure you know exactly how much it is--and then recount it a few days later.

Very simple. You'll have your answer right away.

Frank

I had a good friend that lived in SD. He used to say all the time you need "the test". One day he had a new girlfriend so he told me he was giving her "the test" today. He does what you said, only he leaves like 18,000 or so pesos and knows every bill he left. It was in the open and he tells her he will be back in about 2 hours.

The next day I call him and ask how it went. Not good, she took it all and left he said. But it was better than the last one. She took it all and the TV also.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
But, when I think about it I don't really have anything of value there. Only shoes, clothes and your general housewares like blender, iron, coffee maker etc.
Dominicans steal everything. If they can't steal anything of value (like new IPad), they steal forks and spoons from the kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.