Canadian snowbirds and health coverage while in the DR

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'd like to hear from Canadians that go to the DR for the winter. Do you buy extra health coverage? If so which one? Most policies will not cover anything resulting from a pre-existing condition. Have any of you ever submitted a bill to your provincial coverage? What was the result? Is it better to buy health insurance in the DR for 3 - 4 months?

Let's hear from the snow birds ;)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
well I guess we have no snow birds from Canada or they do not buy health insurance while away. ;)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
THere was a recent thread supposedly on the subject of which health insurance is best, but no one offered even one answer.
I am presently thinking of buying insurance, but since i have passed the magical age of 65 it doesn't seem available to me. Any one know of any DR health insurance for us ancients?

There are no local DR policies available once you pass that magic age. I know of several other people that have researched this problem and have determined there is no local solution. None.

I do see a potential business opportunity here (don't you?) for a new company :
Seguros de la Vieja y Decr?pita. SVD

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Can you even BUY health insurance for only 3-4 months in DR?

I'm not a Canadian snow bird, I'm an American snow bird, so is it okay for me to respond??

I have United HealthCare Supplemental Insurance through AARP, and they tell me that they will cover any emergency medical care in a foreign country for the first 90 days you're there. Mr. AE had several medical bills during that time, so I'll be calling them soon to see what the procedure is to be repaid - it's not much money, I'm doing it more to see if they actually do pay anything at all!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I do not know if it would be practical to start a plan for just 3 months. Normally the waiting period for most coverage is 3 months after you start a plan so that alone would preclude such an idea. Better to contact an insurance broker with such questions, I don't think we have one on DR1.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
We spend 5 months a year in Sosua and the rest of the time in Toronto Canada. Have done this since 2001. To cover us while in the DR, we have health insurance that we buy in Canada. There are many plans available. We have a plan affiliated with my husband's former employment.

This insurance is for emergency medical treatment, not for routine care.

You can get it for any amount of time up to 6 months per year. (You have to spend 6 months per year in Canada to qualify for whatever provincial plan you have - in our case OHIP in Ontario.) For 3 months I would not buy DR health insurance but get the insurance available in Canada for precisely this purpose.

The price depends on your health status. You would be covered for an emergency that results from a pre-existing condition but your policy could be more expensive depending on which pre-existing condition you have.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I have always been healthy and am hoping to continue this trend. Im from Ontario and just wing it as I have my whole life . Only had ohip and nothing extra. Down here I am also thinking of a little insurance but mostly for my new family, if I am covered ...great.

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
I'd like to hear from Canadians that go to the DR for the winter. Do you buy extra health coverage? If so which one? Most policies will not cover anything resulting from a pre-existing condition. Have any of you ever submitted a bill to your provincial coverage? What was the result? Is it better to buy health insurance in the DR for 3 - 4 months?

Let's hear from the snow birds ;)

I just bought a policy with Universal which covers me yearly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'm 64 years old and pay $800./annum. for complete medical coverage except dental. Universal
is DR based.

Very interesting you had no medical required at the age of 64 for a new policy.

I was told that as you advance in age the coverage doubles. I am not sure if the first doubling happens at 65 or if it was 70.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
My wife and I pay for coverage in Canada for multiple 62 days trips out of Canada. We inherited this policy from our employers after retirement. Typically we want to stay 90+ days. I inquired about travel insurance for the extra days. I was recommended Travel Insurance with IMG. You can get a quote online.
Travel Medical Insurance: Patriot Travel Medical Insurance
We have so far never bought extra coverage but we are starting to think we have been pushing our luck. So next trip we are planning to make sure we have coverage. We can of course return to Canada for a day or two then return and the 62 days starts all over again. This would only be worthwhile depending on the price of the plane ticket against the insurance price.
Mack.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have out of country coverage with BLUE CROSS for my Veterans Affairs medical issues( Heart, Carpal tunnel, and arthritis) and Sunlife out of country coverage through my PSHCP. Here I have Palic so I think I'm covered pretty good. Like CC I get my meds free, except for the shipping.